The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 9, 2017, 11:59 AM   #26
F. Guffey

Quote:
Oh wait... I think I know what the culprit is... The hundred or so rifle rounds I disassembled with my kinetic puller... Some took a good 10 whacks...
Reloading is like the pendulum, 10 years ago I suggested using the kinetic hammer could be a bad habit and could cause problems with the elbow. It was about that time I was told how little I knew about reloading. And then there was the reloader that blew his thing off of his handle (hammer head). Reloaders blamed the shell holder got in the way of the primer. That was after I said a reloader should not remove bullets from cases with high primers, but I also mentioned it was almost impossible got the primer to be set off with the shell holder and for small diameter cases center the case with 'O' rings.

F. Guffey
Old January 9, 2017, 12:36 PM   #27
RC20

Quote:
There are some simple exercises to cure tendonitis. Painkillers are your enemy.
No they are not: Pain killers and anti inflammatories are part of the tool set.

There is no single right answer, its a holistic approach.

If something hurts, then you know you have gone too far.

For short term the pain killers can knock it back and for some that is mandatory to keep working (as we all know the rent does not pay itself)

I had a wracked wrist for many years, talk about pain and I was building houses. No fun. Wrist brace allowed me to function. The anti imflamatories would have done wonders (latter on a girl friend gave me some when I was about to go insane from shoulder pain and it was like magic - don't ever tell me that they are your enemy!)

You have just been given a warning.

Take breaks, just don't keep doing it that long.

Braces are fine but they are not the whole answer, they are a tool to help you keep going, but the need tells you something.

Exercises can help.

In my case the wrist brace was used every day for 3 years, then as time went buy only as needed and then it healed up.

I had not choice, I had to work. Pain pills and anti inflmas are the same. If possible, use only as needed and reduce or get off if you can.

Pain pills have to be watched as they can cover up you doing more damage.

Anti imflams are better, but have long term consequences (possible) you have to watch.

These days I have to use a combination. As little as I can but its a fact of life. Ain't nothing un-rupture that thar disk.
Old January 10, 2017, 04:14 AM   #28
ireload2

I injured my arm swaging the primer pockets on a 5 gallon bucket full of 5.56mm without much of a break. It took a year to heal. So get used to doing things with the other arm for a long time. You little air cushion bandage will not help much. You might get a doctor to give you an anti-inflammatory shot. I think you are going to have 6 months to a year of aggravation.

Once your arm heals you need to limit the number of cases that you size at one time to about 200 unless you alternate arms. You can also use both arms on the press at the same time and go slow.

Do not use the sore arm again for more than a few cases or not at all until it heals.
Old January 10, 2017, 06:33 AM   #29
zeke

Another sit down reloader. The press table and seat are on wheels that can be locked. This allows adjusting angles. In addition have learned to switch hands and not push it to far. Very useful for those long sessions, as also load in 500-1000 rd batches for some calibers.
Old January 10, 2017, 01:50 PM   #30
RC20

I forgot to mention, I learned to cut board and hammer nails left handed.

The chain suggestion is a good idea, might be costly.

But whatever works/helps that is in the budge is worth looking at and then doing.
Old January 10, 2017, 07:46 PM   #31
jetinteriorguy

I suffer from tennis elbow due to my work, cutting a lot of leather with a hand shears gets tough. Years ago I found a wrap at Target that consists of an adjustable Velcro band with an integrated air pillow. Just position the pillow on the problem nerve below your elbo and tighten the strap to apply slight pressure. Works like a charm. Whenever you feel it coming on just put the band on for a few hours and you'll feel like a new man. I don't know if they still sell them but you should check it out.
Old January 10, 2017, 08:33 PM   #32
snubbyfan

Happy to pass along this recommendation from my doc, who is a Board Certified internist. Grains and sugar cause inflammation. Nuts, salmon, avocado & green tea are anti-inflammatory. Google anti-inflammatory foods for others.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:46 PM   #33
nhyrum

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure it was just minor inflammation, as im pain free right now.

It just got me alarmed and worried as I'm 26 right now. Getting tendinitis in my elbow before 30 sounds awful. With around another 50 years of life(if I don't blow myself up, or he decides it's my time before) with joint problems just sounds like hell.

I've always felt like a young man, with the joints of a very old man anyway... Hate to aggravate it
Old January 11, 2017, 09:14 AM   #34
Real Gun

You mentioned turret. Notice in the pic the ergo handle and the Inline Fab stand allowing loading from standing position.

When I get much resistance from the press, I use two hands on the handle, assuming I understand why that's needed. I especially prefer that when resizing.

One thing that would help is to rethink your entire approach to reloading. Instead of processing every case you own in one project, process only what you expect to shoot for a couple months.

BTW, what you are describing is epicondylitis.

Last edited by Real Gun; January 14, 2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:11 PM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

nhyrum,

I think the riser will help a lot. It may help to have any different angle to give you a break from the original motion.

Pick up an anti-fatigue mat to stand on while you are at it. If your feet get tired you tend to automatically lean at odd angles to relieve the pressure on them.

If you get a 650, get auto case and bullet feeders so you can operate it with one hand. That will let you switch off right and left from time to time.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle