The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2013, 10:21 PM   #26
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

You want to neutralize any bleach outside, or at a window, etc, if you use a lot, as it can emit a chlorine type gas, similar to some of the stuff used in WWI. A small spot or two isn't that bad, but just a warning about it, if you bleach an entire stock, and it soaked up a bunch. Actually, there is several chemicals that can make bleach do this. Anyhow, you use Vinegar, like Vanya said, and if it is strong, or marketed as the stronger Acetic acid, then you need to dilute it.

To apply the bleach, you wet a rag with it, then rap the rag around the spot on the wood that needs lightening. However, since you've already stained yours, it might be a job getting it the right color again, I'm not sure. The smaller spots, you might get by with applying a little with a cotton ball, or a Q-Tip.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:45 PM   #27
waltin

Vanya, yes I agree at this point I don't want to mess with the color of the stock. I should have been more spacific as I was refering to the unfinished hand guard(s) that have black spots, which I'd like to remove. Check out the photo attachment. I think both of these guards would be a good experment to try to knock back or out the dark spots with a bleach formular. One has more spots than the other. And the other is the one I've been trying to get the oil out. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VZ Hand Guard.jpg (256.1 KB, 15 views)
Old June 7, 2013, 07:49 PM   #28
waltin

Dixie, I have acidic acid left over from some B&W photo work, can I use this and dilute it with water as a neutralizer?
Old June 8, 2013, 02:59 AM   #29
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

waltin,

It is according to how strong it is. It may have to be diluted a good bit to use, or maybe not. The percentage of acetic acid is in Vinegar is around 8%, but you would need it down to that percentage range. Its pretty mild, as the amount of Chlorine in bleach isn't that strong. A too strong amount of any acid could damage wood fibers when applied, and what you have, I couldn't say. See the two links below;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetic_acid

This is from the article on Bleach from Wikipedia:

"Chlorine-based bleaches"

"Chlorine-based bleaches are found in many household cleaners. The concentration of chlorine-based bleaches is often expressed as percent active chlorine where one gram of a 100% active chlorine bleach has the same bleaching power as one gram of chlorine. These bleaches can react with other common household chemicals like vinegar and ammonia to produce toxic gases. Labels on sodium hypochlorite bleach warn about these interactions".

And,

"Sodium hypochlorite"
Main article: Sodium hypochlorite

"Sodium hypochlorite is the most commonly encountered bleaching agent, usually as a dilute (3-6%) solution in water. This solution of sodium hypochlorite, commonly referred to as simply "bleach", was also one of the first mass-produced bleaches. It is produced by passing chlorine gas through a dilute sodium hydroxide solution"
Old June 8, 2013, 10:38 AM   #30
waltin

Dixie, I'll use the vinegar, the acidic acid I have for photography is a strong 28%. Nope I'll not play a round with that when vinegar is so cheap.
Old June 8, 2013, 03:29 PM   #31
Unclenick
Staff

White vinegar is usually more like 5%. You can dilute your glacial acetic acid. At 28% its specific gravity is 1.039. So measure 5.5 fluid ounces and add it to 26.5 fluid ounces of distilled water to make up a quart of 5% acetic acid.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle