The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2012, 09:20 AM   #1
onlybrowning

Anyone use 300-MP powder

I just discovered this powder on the Alliant site. I've been using Unique with light loads for a long time in .38, .357, .44 and H110 and H4227 for heavier. Now, since H110 doesn't work well in my cheap Lee powder measure (I have an RCBS on the way) I have thought of trying something new. Is it more flexible than H110 with load range? Is it a better performer than 2400? Thanks!
Old April 29, 2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Sevens

I have not tried this powder yet, but I've also seen with bewildered wonderment some of the nearly incredible velocity numbers that Alliant promotes with it's load data using this powder. For me, specifically, that's in .357 Magnum.

In the end, I have (so far) elected to not bother to try it. My reasons are many.

First is quite simply that I already have well more than a dozen powders on hand, and some on hand that I haven't utilized to their full potential yet. So my "to do" list is populated and doesn't need new additions.

Next is just because Alliant 2400 has made me just about as happy as a powder can!

Another is that I'm really not a velocity junkie. Perhaps if I had a chrono...

Lastly, and likely the biggest reason: I can't stand Alliant's load data. I have some of their older printed guides and those are decent. Their current published/printed guides and their website guide is a sorry excuse for a handloader's resource, and I get a little peeved off when I attempt to use either as a decent reference.

This doesn't stop me from getting great use from a couple of my favorite powders (Power Pistol and 2400) but it certainly does keep me from wanting to try other Alliant powders.

Even so, I'm always looking to hear of others' experience with these new powders and any/all new powders.