The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 5, 2001, 12:43 AM   #1
amos

I just acquired a new Ruger Vaquero Sheriff's Model, model # 00512, catalog # KBNV-453-SI, serial # 057-80XXX, .45LC. I was very impressed with the overall looks and feel of the gun. It's stainless steel with white grips and a 3 3/4" barrel. VERY well balanced. When I bought it, the dealer said that this was a limited edition gun and that there were only 1000 made. I'm just trying to find out more about it and whether or not this is true. I checked the Ruger web site, but couldn't find anything on this particular model. Does anyone else out there have one or know someone that does? Any information is greatly appreciated.
Old February 6, 2001, 02:18 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't have anything on that gun. It may have been made on a special order from a dealer or distributor and never cataloged. I would write (not e-mail) Ruger and inquire, giving them the serial number.

Jim
Old February 6, 2001, 02:26 PM   #3
amos

More info on a Ruger Sheriff's Model

Thanks Jim. Looks like that's what I'm going to have to do. I've posted this same subject in several locations and you're the first to reply. I really like the gun and don't think I got hurt on the deal. I was just wanting to find out more about it. Thanks again for the assistance.
Old February 6, 2001, 10:49 PM   #4
amos

A little more information

Thanks again Jim for the lead. I actually called Sturm, Ruger & Co. and gave them the serial number on the gun. Here's what I found out...

It is actually one of 1500 custom guns made exclusively for Acusport. The barrel length is considered a 3 5/8" barrel. It was test fired in October 2000. They also told me to contact Acusport. I did that next. When I told them I had called Ruger and what they said, they acted surprised that they had given me that information. Acusport "says" that all Ruger will tell them is that they will limit production to between 1000-2000, but will not give an actual number. Why is that? Anyway, Acusport said they will send me an information packet on the revolver in a day or two. Thanks again for the help.
Old March 12, 2005, 02:16 PM   #5
BlkHawk73

thought I'd dig this thread up...

Davidson's has a few of these models now but with the imitation ivory grips.

Quote:
Acusport "says" that all Ruger will tell them is that they will limit production to between 1000-2000, but will not give an actual number. Why is that?
Yeah right. A distributor initiates the model idea and contracts Ruger to produce them. The contract will state the number to be produced. I've never had very good customer service from Acusport. Have even been clearly lied to twice.