The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 1, 2011, 07:03 AM   #26
Don Glock

Stop slamming your mags so hard. Any auto will do this if you jam it in hard enough. It's not a "feature". It takes little effort to insert a mag when the slide is open.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:33 AM   #27
Swing Fixer

As everyone else has said...the slide issue of the OP is not how the gun is "supposed" to work but the inertia of pounding the next mag in could definitely make the slide release lever move. If you flick the lever there really isn't that much resistance to it IMO.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:37 AM   #28
threegun

Quote:
Keep it out and up in your line of sight to the target when reloading. It probably won't go into battery because you can't slam the mag hard enough with nearly straight arms. You'll also be able to keep the threat in your line of sight while reloading. You don't want to be looking down during a reload.
I pull the pistol in toward my body about half way during reloads. Now the pistol is still up and in my line of sight to target but not extended all the way. Once the mag is seated the slide is racketed and pistol re extended toward the target. My mag seating is simply a hard follow thru with the mag insert. Speed it up and when the mag seats follow past that point with good pressure. Makes a great click and there is no wasted time with a second bump.
Old September 1, 2011, 07:42 AM   #29
vladan

Quote:
Well then....My SIG has not locked back several times already. I have 2,000 rounds through it. Last range trip it happened once. Before that twice. And....weird...I think its a magazine.

But what else could it be?
could be magazine, too strong recoil spring, low power ammo, dirty slide release, worn slide locking slot ... easy to eliminate magazine - mark the one that does it so next time you know if it is the same one or different one.

To OP - as most already said, glocks do that but I wouldn't count on it as a "feature", proper way to release slide is to hit the slide release. but you not hurtin anything either :-)
Old September 1, 2011, 09:40 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

Thanks Vladan. The gun is relatively new. And clean. Very clean...lol. maybe its the magazine or too strong of a recoil spring. I wouldn't doubt those two. I'm going to mark the magazines next time.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - Remington 870
Old September 1, 2011, 11:19 AM   #31
amd6547

Intrigued, I tried slamming a loaded mag into both a G30 and a G26...my slide never released.
Old September 1, 2011, 12:05 PM   #32
COSteve

Not only is that pretty common and of no concern, there are some of us who tweak the Slide Stop Lever just so that it's easier to make the pistol do that every time. I've done it to all my Glocks because it make for a really fast mag replacement. If by chance, it doesn't drop the slide, I just hit the Slide Stop Lever. It's so much faster than the overhand method and if you practice it, it becomes second nature.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:43 PM   #33
GoOfY-FoOt

Seriously? I have read several posts where the posters feared the weapon discharging when the slide slammed into battery?

I am quite certain that the same inertia that causes the slide lock to disengage would NOT cause the firing pin block to disengage as well.

As, it has to move in the opposite direction....
Old September 4, 2011, 09:08 PM   #34
drail

Out of spec slide stop. The slide stop should hold the slide locked open and not be released by "inertia". The next malfunction you will see is failure to lock open on empty or lockback with rounds remaining in the magazine. I would get it fixed. It's not supposed to do that. Also slamming a magazine in with any more force than what is necessary to lock it in is abusing the gun and the magazine. It's just like slamming a cylinder closed on a revolver.
Old September 4, 2011, 10:30 PM   #35
The Red Hot Rider

not a big deal...

Hey, not to worry. I've had several automatics do this when I slam a fresh magazine home. It just means that you are jarring the frame hard enough to cause the slide to move just a little, and since the magazine is loaded, the slide stop gets disengaged. The fact that the slide stop gets disengaged lets the slide go into battery. The gun is now "hot" and ready to fire.

Actually, it's kind of a handy thing, if you think about it. It saves you the time of racking the slide or disengaging the slide release before you can fire again. You just have to be aware that once the slide is in battery, you are ready to rock n' roll. But, as always, the gun won't fire unless the trigger is pulled.
Old September 5, 2011, 04:14 AM   #36
bdb benzino

The posters that are worried about a ND, or are saying to send the gun back worry me a little. Not only is this fairly common with some handguns, but it is a simple matter of physics. If you slap something hard enough it will giggle things around, mainly the slide stop.
The pistol will not fire if you keep your finger off the trigger. To me, if you do not understand this, you need more training.
Old September 5, 2011, 06:59 AM   #37
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I am quite certain that the same inertia that causes the slide lock to disengage would NOT cause the firing pin block to disengage as well.
As noted, most modern guns have a firing pin/striker block that won't let that item move until the trigger is pulled or other safety mechanisms have been over-riden. Slamming a mag home isn't going to do that.

Folks should spend a little time learning how their weapons work, and not consider the inner workings of their handguns mystical/magical phenomenon.
Old September 5, 2011, 08:01 AM   #38
spodwo

Quote:
The posters that are worried about a ND, or are saying to send the gun back worry me a little. Not only is this fairly common with some handguns, but it is a simple matter of physics.
Yep.
Old September 5, 2011, 09:12 AM   #39
cc1911

I bought a Taurus 24/7 (in 9mm) that does the same thing. You don't have to "slam" the mag in to make the slide move forward and chamber a round. I learned this would happen the hard way. We were teaching a friend how to shoot and of course, that's when it happened the first time. I have checked my other pistols to see if they do this and they don't. I took the Taurus to a gun shop, explained what was happening and after listening to all the "that can't happens" and after talking the guy into trying it, my point was proven. After showing all his gun shop friends, he told me I could send the pistol back to Taurus for them to fix it. We are going to live with it just because I am not sure about sending my guns off.
Old September 5, 2011, 10:02 AM   #40
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I took the Taurus to a gun shop, explained what was happening and after listening to all the "that can't happens" and after talking the guy into trying it, my point was proven. After showing all his gun shop friends, he told me I could send the pistol back to Taurus for them to fix it. We are going to live with it just because I am not sure about sending my guns off.
You'll find -- and there are exceptions -- that most gun shop people (owners or staff) are competent to take your money but aren't really all that savvy about other aspects of gun ownership or use. (When they are also gunsmiths, or have one on staff, things can be different.)

Unless the slide closing EASILY on your Taurus is causing you concern, I wouldn't send it back. Remember: you can't use the U.S. Mails to ship handguns, unless you're an FFL, and shipping it by UPS or FedEx can be VERY expensive. (Now, if the gun maker offers to send you a UPS shipping label, go for it.)

It's not dangerous, just surprising, if you're not used to it.

Sometimes something as simple as a slide stop spring needs to be bent or replaced. (That spring, in some guns, simply holds the stop in whatever position it's in, to keep it from moving easily.)
Old September 5, 2011, 10:16 AM   #41
Skadoosh

Quote:
Stop slamming your mags so hard. Any auto will do this if you jam it in hard enough. It's not a "feature". It takes little effort to insert a mag when the slide is open.
This.

It is totally unnecessary to slam the magazine in to place when the slide is locked open. It will lock in to place very easily even with a fully loaded mag.

Tags
glock , slide