The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2009, 08:00 AM   #1
firemannw

Marlin 1895 Guide vs Marlin 1895 Cowboy both in 45-70

My question is this does the greater barrel length on the 1895 cowboy (26") vs the 1895 Guide (18.5") both in 45-70 give it great range. What other pros and cons can you guys come up with. I'm suddenly wondering if I should have paid the extra $150 dollars and got the Cowboy with the greater magazine capacity. I can still trade in the guide and pay the difference. I value your opinions since I am new to the lever action and the awesome 45-70, so lets hear them.
Thanks,
Noah
Old August 6, 2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Joat

The longer barrel will give a slight increase in muzzle velocity (typically 100-200 fps/inch if I remember correctly).
The far greater benefit of the longer barrel (for long range matches anyway) is the longer sight radius. With a shorter sight radius it takes a smaller error in the sight picture to produce a larger error on target.

Joat
Old August 8, 2009, 02:57 AM   #3
arcticap

About the longer sight radius is true, but sometimes the shorter barrel can be shot more accurately because there's already slow lock time due to the external hammer fall, and if the bullet can exit the shorter barrel before the muzzle moves when shooting off hand, then the shot has a better chance of staying on target.
So it does depend on which barrel length can be held steadier for the duration of pulling the trigger, waiting for the hammer to fall and the bullet to exit the bore.
Longer barrels may also produce more barrel torque when shooting long heavy bullets because there's a longer length of rifling to produce it. Thus another source of potential barrel movement at the instant after the round is fired.
Old August 8, 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
CraigC

The Marlin 1895 Cowboy is one of the lightest (for what it is) and best balanced rifles I've ever shouldered. Don't know why I don't own one. I don't consider the barrel length to be a hindrance at all in the field. The Guide Gun just doesn't trip my trigger.
Old August 8, 2009, 03:26 PM   #5
firemannw

Well I'm sticking with the Marlin guide gun, in the end I like the more compact size. I shot 10 rds down the barrel and it kick harder than any rifle I've shot, I love it. The only problem was I couldn't kept remotely tight groups to save my life. I don't if it was the kick or me pulling when I shot the rifle, I guess I will have to shoot the heck out of it to get use to the rifle.