The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 9, 2007, 08:27 AM   #1
Tanzer

You've Got To See This!

Whenever I go to my place in Maine, I spend a great deal of time practicing with my rifles, because there's not many ranges in my home state where I can shoot high powered weapons. Evey once in a blue moon, just for kicks and to confuse my dogs, I take out my old compound bow I've had since I was a teenager. I've always had a knack for archery.
I know it's not gun related, but I had to show this picture. Seems I still have the knack. I never thought this could even happen, especially with field tips. Just thought I'd share it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg split arrow.JPG (76.2 KB, 157 views)
Old October 9, 2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Dirty_Harry

Great shot! What distance were you shooting at?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 9, 2007, 09:09 AM   #3
Tanzer

Approximately 25 yards. Standard aluminum arrows from Dick's Sporting Goods.
I had no arrow target, because I usually shoot rifle. I doubled two old foot wiping rugs over a line to shoot at. The first arrow had gone in to about where it was struck, then hung down with its tip on the ground behind the rugs. That's why arrow #2 was able to hit it from beneath. You can see the rugs in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 044.JPG (96.8 KB, 54 views)
Old October 9, 2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Tanzer

/\ BTW- That's not where they were when I was practicing!!!
Old October 9, 2007, 09:13 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

That's cool - it's amazing the power (sectional density) of arrows. I've doubled up TWICE this year while practicing - once with a recurve and once with a compound - one of the pictures is found on this page:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=247175&page=2

It's cool, but I hate losing a perfectly good arrow. So I will no longer shoot at less than 20 yards after this year's experience.

There's a triple on display at the local archery shop.
Old October 9, 2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Dirty_Harry

I dare say we have a couple of regular old Robin Hoods here in the TFL

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 9, 2007, 02:00 PM   #7
davlandrum

Great shooting, but I will pass on what my buddy said the first time I robin-hooded one - "if you shoot enough, it will eventually happen - same as if you stood at a par 3 and just hit golf balls, eventually you will get a hole-in-one.

It does feel great though!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart