The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 10, 2019, 09:50 PM   #1
Deltadart

Browned finish Seneca

Has anyone ever done a brown finish on a Seneca? And if so what did you think of it I have a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle that I like the finish on, and I have a Seneca that I am thinking of re-bluing. But If I am going to finish the barrel, perhaps a brown finish on the Seneca might be attractive.
Old August 11, 2019, 12:17 AM   #2
Stormson

Does browning actually look bad on ANYTHING???
Old August 11, 2019, 04:33 AM   #3
Old Stony

I love the browned finish on them..but not necessarily done over real smooth metal. I think it's a lot better when done over a lightly bead blasted metal finish. I have an original Seneca myself, but think I'd rather leave it original.
Old August 11, 2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Deltadart

Completely agree the brown finish is best over a bead blasted surface. The Seneca has an oil finish on the stock now, not the original high gloss so it is not exactly original. The barrel has a slight blemish spot that is not really noticeable, other than that it is a very pretty blue. But I know it is there, it just bugs me and needs to be fixed.
Old August 11, 2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Pahoo

Might want to keep it blue, on this one !!!

Quote:
I love the browned finish on them but not necessarily done over real smooth metal.
I too like the plum-brown finish as it fits better, in that period. I do have some issues with this finish on a Seneca; even though it is still in in the spirit but not of that era. Another point to consider is that the Senecas are desirable, especially if it's a .36, but in the original finish. I have the Browning as well as Lymans that are factory brown and you are correct, the look darn good. …….

Be safe !!!
Old August 12, 2019, 07:29 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think it would look handsome.
Old August 12, 2019, 09:53 PM   #7
Deltadart

Thank you Gary, so do I.
Best Regards
Paul
Old August 2, 2020, 02:59 PM   #8
Deltadart

Brown Finish on Seneca

Hi Gary,
I have the Seneca in for some work, and am having the finish changed to brown finish and also the muzzle turned to match the Patriot pistol muzzle. So we will see how it turns out.
Old August 3, 2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Crooked Creek

I have a Seneca .36 that I oil finished the stock and browned all the steel parts about 35-40 years ago. It was my squirrel gun. I too, feel the brown just looks 'appropriate'. I have two Austin and Halleck Mountain Rifles in 50 cal., one each cap and flint. They came in brown and look good.

Correction: I'd have to dig it out of the safe to check, but I think I misspoke, I think I left the lock as it was, which I recall was case hardened, so I did not brown 'ALL' the steel parts!

Last edited by Crooked Creek; August 3, 2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: correction
Old August 3, 2020, 10:01 AM   #10
Pahoo

Good call !!

Quote:
Correction: I'd have to dig it out of the safe to check, but I think I misspoke, I think I left the lock as it was, which I recall was case hardened, so I did not brown 'ALL' the steel parts!
Good call; especially if you have a nice finish, on the plate.........

Be Safe !!!
Old August 3, 2020, 02:08 PM   #11
Deltadart

The lock is case hardened and I will leave that as is. The barrel, tang, and rib will be browned, but it will be the "media blast" finish for lack or a better description. I do not like the smooth brown finish that much. I have a Browning Mountain Rifle that I like the finish on so I am going to go for a similar finish that it has. I think it will look pretty good with the brass furniture. This one is a .36 as well. After the Seneca comes back I will send the Patriot to the smith and have him brown it to match the rifle. May as well go in whole hog.

Last edited by Deltadart; August 3, 2020 at 03:04 PM.
Old August 3, 2020, 10:11 PM   #12
Sure Shot Mc Gee

If you're into period correctness. Seneca isn't even close. But if you're into something unique ~ sightly different that will turn heads. A browned or plum barrel will do it. When done right such barrels are without doubt> gorgeous.
Old August 4, 2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Crooked Creek

"The barrel, tang, and rib will be browned, but it will be the "media blast" finish for lack or a better description. I think it will look pretty good with the brass furniture."

Do you plan to keep the original adjustable rear sight and brown it too, I did? The brown does looks good with the brass, once the brass has 'aged' (tarnished), I'm not a big fan of shiny/polished brass.
Old August 4, 2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Deltadart

I agree, the barrel, tang, sights, rib, and pipes should all be browned. As far as the brass furniture, I like either one, shinny or aged. True the Seneca is not exactly a period correct rifle, but it's just a hell of lot fun to shoot or hunt with. While many think it best to leave the original blue finish which will retain the value for resale, I like the little rifle, like the brown finish, and though who am I saving it for, no intention of selling it. It is used mostly to punch paper with it and it is an accurate rifle. And it was made in America, by an American owned company, and American citizens.
Old August 15, 2020, 07:53 AM   #15
rep1954

My first ever firearm was a 45 cal. Seneca. Boy I miss that gun so much better handling than the Hawken for a shorter person. When it comes to browned octagon barrels I prefer the draw file finish.
Old August 16, 2020, 10:02 PM   #16
bedbugbilly

I picked up a Seneca a few years ago in 45 cal. - has the TC tang peep sight. It is in pristine condition and just and awesome little rifle. I was never ito Tis that much but it really is a shame that someone in this country doesn't make a rifle like this anymore. A great little rifle for small game in a .36 and a nice way to get youngsters interested in muzzleloading 0- and a great rifle to get old folks (I'm one of 'em) to feel like a kid again.

I think it would look good with a browned barrel and if that's what you like . . . go for it!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 17, 2020, 01:04 AM   #17
arcticap

It's not made in this country but Pedersoli makes the Dixie Cub Deluxe percussion which is a beautiful rifle that's very similar to the Seneca, except it costs $850. --->>> https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...Rifle+.36+Perc.

The Cub looks like a deluxe version of the Pedersoli Scout which is offered in .32, .45 and .50 in percussion and flint. --->>> https://www.davide-pedersoli.com/tip...les-scout.html

I think that the Dixie Cub Deluxe is a model that Pedersoli makes exclusively for them in several calibers & configurations including as kits.

Last edited by arcticap; August 19, 2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old August 17, 2020, 08:46 AM   #18
Deltadart

I have a couple of Pedersoli firearms, they are of very good quality, smooth, and accurate, that said I think they higher priced than they should be. But if you want an old west rifle or shotgun you have few choices, Uberti seems a little more reasonable. Still the Seneca is one of my favorites, Mr. Center did an excellent job.
Old September 5, 2020, 10:36 PM   #19
Deltadart

Well the Seneca is out of the shop now, the work being completed on it this week. I am excited to see how the brown finish came out and the rebate on the barrel to match the Patriot. When it arrives at the end of next week I will send some photos.
Old September 9, 2020, 10:23 AM   #20
Deltadart

Here she is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown Seneca8.jpg (656.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Brown Seneca4.jpg (668.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Brown Seneca2.jpg (488.5 KB, 59 views)
Old September 11, 2020, 01:30 PM   #21
Pahoo

My compliments

Quote:
Here she is.
Just when I "thought" a Seneca couldn't look any better. The barrel, sure compliments your pretty furniture. My experience is that some Senecas came out with some fantastic wood and yours fits the bill. I own six Senecas and only one, came with fancy furniture. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 11, 2020, 02:47 PM   #22
Deltadart

Thanks Pahoo, I am really liking the Seneca. In the not to distant future I will have more. I am in the woods often and this is the rifle I take with me. Just a fun gun to shoot and accurate.
Old September 11, 2020, 08:15 PM   #23
ocharry

The barrel work and the brown really set it off....dang I may have to do this to mine

Sure didn't hurt the looks...or the rifle

Ocharry