The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 11, 2018, 10:45 AM   #1
jager911

help identifying Mauser

Hello,
I recently inherited my grandfather's rifle and have a couple questions. I have been unable to locate any serial number, make, cal., etc. I believe my father said it was an 8mm. The only proof stamps I found were on the slide release (small crown / "D" and 87) not sure about the "D" I also found a "5" on bolt arm and on base plate. The spring inside the base plate has "46". I have not been able to locate anything on the significance of the markings or numbers.

I did some research and found some identical engravings on another site. some responses indicated it was pre war guild gun or Persian mauser.

Here is a link to Facebook album if the photo upload did not work.
https://www.facebook.com/michael.wig...5010099&type=3

Thanks for any assistance. Would love to know more about rifle at what cal. it is.

Thanks
Mike
Old November 11, 2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Jim Watson

There should be proof marks SOMEPLACE. Maybe on the bottom of the barrel.
Old November 11, 2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Gemmer

It’s a Mauser that has been sportorized. When done, the original markings were removed. Don’t think there is any way to determine what the original was. The stock is aftermarket. Take it to a gunsmith to determine the caliber.
Old November 11, 2018, 04:16 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Interesting that the engraving - which is of apprentice, not better than journeyman quality - is cut to clear the Weaver scope bases.
There were a good number of losing side rifles fixed up for Occupation personnel, army rations, cigarettes, and nylon stockings were common coin.
Old November 11, 2018, 08:53 PM   #5
highpower3006

The only thing I can add to the above posts is that the bolt release has Imperial German proofs, which in and of itself means very little except that the part was made before 1918.
Old November 13, 2018, 07:56 PM   #6
mapsjanhere

I think this gone underwent a double transformation. It looks like a standard German hunting rifle made from an old military system. The double set trigger "stecher" is classic.
I think it was then brought to the US and "improved" to appeal to US tastes.
The caliber needs investigating, as a potential "between the wars" product it might be one of the German 8x64 guns that were rechambered to get around Versailles restrictions.
Old November 14, 2018, 12:40 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Not seeing the pictures and Facebook says the page isn't available.
Slug the barrel. That'll give you the calibre. It won't tell you what cartridge though. That'll require Cerrosafe(Brownell's) and doing a chamber cast. Easy thing to do, but if you have any doubts, take it to a smithy.
From what the other posts say it could be any calibre or cartridge though. What your pop said is probably true, except there are more 8mm cartridges than just 8mm Mauser. It could be a .318" barrel or a rimmed 8mm. Slugging the barrel will tell you the first for sure. A chamber cast will tell you what the case looks like.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:11 PM   #8
Jim Watson

True, it might well be a 7.9x57 .318" pre 1906 or even later as some German Expert Sporter Builders preferred the smaller diameter. More likely a regular 7.92x57 .323".
Might be an 8x60 either diameter.
Probably not rimmed, bolt action Mausers for rimmed cartridges do exist but are not at all common.
Old November 17, 2018, 10:02 PM   #9
Grant 14

Is the barrel stepped or a regular taper? It looks like an early commercial mouser to me, only because I tried to buy one very similar , many years ago. Chamber cast (cerrosafe) and slugging the barrel will tell you the caliber but it is old enough that you might as well have a gunsmith do a head space check in addition to the others. It will give you some piece of mind before the first trigger pull. I love those old classic European rifles. Grant.