The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2012, 10:27 AM   #1
rem44m

Glock 3.5 pound trigger connector for CCW

I'm trying to decide on getting a 3.5 pound trigger connector for my Gen 3 G26 I just bought a few weeks ago. My plan is to carry this one.

Let me start with this, I know there is an old thread out there about this but the original poster is very new to handguns and it is advised against carrying with a 3.5 lb connector because he is so new.

I myself am very experienced with Glocks and have owned multiple Glocks in my time and dumped thousands of rounds down range through various Glocks, working on trigger control and drawing my CCW.

My current daily carry weapon is a Gen 3 G27 (tens of thousands of rounds through it so it is VERY smooth functioning) but I'd like to get my brand new G26 as smooth as the G27 without dumping tens of thousands of rounds through it. Which brings me to the 3.5 lb connector.

My QUESTION here is- Is the 3.5 lb connector UNSAFE for a carry weapon? Does it have added dangers that the stock Glock trigger does not? Will it discharge any "easier" by accidentally dropping or anything else OTHER than pulling the trigger?

I've got to imagine the firing pin block remains the same so the danger of dropping the weapon on accident and having an AD are no different.

I have a lot of experience shooting, practicing trigger control and drawing with out blowing my foot off but I do not have a gun smiths knowledge of the internal workings of the Glock itself so this is why I ask.

Any help is much appreciated

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old March 29, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Uncle Malice

No, it's not. Use a holster and you'll be fine. Thousands(hundreds of thousands?) of people carry glocks with "-" connectors every day.

The actual pull weight is still around 4-4.5lbs.

The 3.5 or "-" connector will make it a little bit lighter, but it will also make it a little more mushy than the stock connector, because it has more movement before the trigger breaks.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
TMD

The 3.5 connector makes the trigger pull about 1lb lighter. If you want it as smooth as your G27 with thousands of rounds through it then you either need to shoot thousands of rounds through it or polish the trigger parts.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:25 PM   #4
BikeNGun1974

I prefer not to have custom triggers on my carry weapons because I don't want to end up in one of Ayoob's case file books.

"This guy had a lighter trigger put on his Glock and the prosecuting DA said he was a wanton killer...."

Last edited by BikeNGun1974; April 1, 2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old March 29, 2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
No, it's not. Use a holster and you'll be fine. Thousands(hundreds of thousands?) of people carry glocks with "-" connectors every day.

The actual pull weight is still around 4-4.5lbs.

The 3.5 or "-" connector will make it a little bit lighter, but it will also make it a little more mushy than the stock connector, because it has more movement before the trigger breaks.
Thread closed lol I've missed you Malice...

I have the ghost connector on my G27 and G21..Its not that big of a difference really. And it is a little more mushy. I want them out and I'd prefer the trigger parts polished instead.

over and out.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:23 PM   #6
BIG P

NO its not to me carried mine about 10 years now.really not that much difference.
Old March 31, 2012, 08:43 PM   #7
trex1310

Quote:
This guy had a lighter trigger put on his Glock and the prosecuting DA said he was a wonton killer...."
I would really, really like to know where, when and if
this has actually ever happened. Anybody have any specifics other than
internet dribble?
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old March 31, 2012, 08:58 PM   #8
RamItOne

Trex here's your proof

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483950

Anyways really 3,4,5 pounds, don't think it'll make a difference in an SD scenario
Old April 1, 2012, 03:41 AM   #9
IZinterrogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
I would really, really like to know where, when and if
this has actually ever happened. Anybody have any specifics other than
internet dribble?
Just take a class with Massad Ayoob, he'll give you a few examples.
Old April 1, 2012, 06:33 AM   #10
jmr40

Quote:
The 3.5 or "-" connector will make it a little bit lighter, but it will also make it a little more mushy than the stock connector,
This is what I found. I purchased 1 used Glock that had the 3.5 lb connector in it. I shot a lot better with the standard 5.5 lb connector. A crisp break at exactly the same 5.5 lb point is better than a mushy trigger that sometimes breaks at 3.5 lbs. and then breaks at 4.5 lbs the next time.
Old April 1, 2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Glenn E. Meyer

Wonton? - You will be in the soup, for an ND.

Plenty of threads on trigger, ammo, legal issues - can we please not totally rehash that? Also, you want to discuss it (with some new insight) if you decide to be insulting in terms - you will be sanctioned.

One can ask for evidence and disagree without the perjoratives. Hint!

The big risk is that if you keep your finger on the trigger when you shouldn't and then pull it, due to stress, be startled, sympathetic squeeze from contraction of other hand, swinging the gun, etc. - you can be in serious trouble and the lighter pull makes you look more like a doofus.

BTW, the factors I mentioned above have been shown in human factors testing to be enough to pull even DA semi or revolver triggers at times.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:00 PM   #12
Webleymkv

If, after considering the possible drawbacks associated with lightening the trigger pull of your Glock, you still feel comfortable carrying one so-modified than go ahead. However, I personally would not feel comfortable with such a setup so I wouldn't reccomend it to most people.

Ayoob and several others have pointed out cases where lightened triggers cause problems for those involved in a shooting. While some will repeat "a good shoot is a good shoot" or some other such cliche, the fact of the matter is that should you find yourself in front of the all-inquisitive grand jury, someone of importance obviously isn't convinced that it was a good shoot.

Also, I personally would not feel comfortable with a trigger that short and light without an active manual safety (truth be told, a stock Glock trigger doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies). Yes, I know "booger hook of the bang switch," "safety between your ears," and all of that and, in an ideal world, that would be enough. However, we do not live in an ideal world and I'm realistic enough to consider that when I'm in fear for my life and have tunnel vision with a heart rate of 180bpm or more, I just might not have perfect trigger finger discipline. Because of this, I prefer either an active manual safety or a longer, heavier DA trigger pull so that firing the gun takes at least some conscious effort.

Were I to carry a Glock (I don't because they're just not my cup of tea for a variety of reasons), I would likely modify the trigger, but rather than lightening it I would probably install an NY1 unit to increase the pull weight thus making it safer in my estimation.
Old April 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

It's not a target gun, it's a self defense gun. If you would be unfortunate enough to have to use it for that reason you would never notice the difference in trigger pull. So why chance the possibility of a legal nightmare?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 3, 2012, 10:59 PM   #14
ClydeFrog

Glock NY-1 trigger, Massad Ayoob...

Noted use of force expert, tactics trainer & gun writer; Massad Ayoob says he puts the NY +1 type trigger on his carry-duty Glock pistols.
Ayoob has also said in many gun press articles that a duty action should be no less than 5lbs. That seems prudent to me. Any lighter & you could face legal issues in a use of force incident.
The late gun writer/author Robert Boatman(who used a Glock .45acp compact 36) wrote that it's best to keep carry-duty type Glocks factory stock.
See: www.CustomizeyourGlock.com www.Glockbooks.com .

A factory Glock trigger system should do fine for most carry uses.

ClydeFrog
Old April 4, 2012, 12:19 AM   #15
austinr09

my glock trigger is around 6 pounds stock from the tip of the trigger and around 8 lbs when measured at the center of the trigger where your finger pulls in real life. id say the trigger will still be around 4.5-5 lbs in real life.
Old April 4, 2012, 01:18 AM   #16
farmerboy

My duty gun (gen4 22) I install a ghost 3 1/2 connector, polished trigger bar and competition spring kit for a 2 1/2 lbs now and love it. Don't aim at someone with finger on trigger and scared or you'll probably drop them! No its no competition gun but let's shoot against each other. And let someone shoot at me say at 80 yards and he's fixing to get dropped if he doesn't hit me with his first shot. I shot my gun before parts installed and after and I am amazed at after! But just general shooting I don't think it matters much but I don't do general shooting. Always striving for utmost accuracy every time I pull the trigger.
Old April 4, 2012, 02:23 AM   #17
ClydeFrog

Duty weapons VS target guns...

The problem I have with the last post is that it brings up an important point.
Most duty sidearms are drawn often but shot seldom. You may need to hold a dangerous or unstable subject at gunpoint until uniformed LE gets on scene.
A "light" or "hair" trigger may help you make long range shots but that same light trigger pull could be a major problem if you discharge your pistol in a high stress critical incident.
Some gun owners or CC license holders may say; "so what" about trigger actions or sidearms but civil & criminal courts are full of cases that involve wrongful death or lethal force. LE agencies & government officials get sued all the time.
A smooth honed duty action is better than a light pull.
Clyde
Old April 4, 2012, 03:25 AM   #18
kozak6

I'm with Glenn on this one. With a lightened trigger, sloppy trigger discipline and/or a loss of fine motor control during fight or flight situations can more easily lead to an accidental shooting.

This is significant. Glock has developed a heavier trigger for the Miami PD, and two heavier triggers for the NYPD.

And you want to put a lighter one in.
Old April 4, 2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Powderman

For someone who knows their way around handguns, the lightened trigger pull isn't the problem.

The reason the 3.5 lb trigger job (the full one, replacing the striker spring, connector and trigger return spring) is not recommended for duty or carry has to do with reliability. When you lighten the springs, the firing pin velocity and impact is decreased. This means that the gun may have problems with ignition, and increases the chance you will have a click when you should have a bang.
Old April 4, 2012, 07:11 AM   #20
mes228

Trigger

There is a caveat with SOME of the reduced pull weight triggers. They remove the "feel" of the "reset". No big deal, but makes extremely rapid fire just a smidgen slower.
Old April 4, 2012, 07:26 AM   #21
Denezin

My 1911a have around a 5 pound trigger pull. but heres the big issue. i hear alot of people say oh you can miss fire under stress and im not saying you cant. but way i was taught you dont put your finger in the trigger guard unless you intend to shoot. now im no scientist of magician of sorts but i think a gun 99.99999 percent of the time needs a finger to pull its own trigger. but thats my 2 cents. (btw this isnt to bash anyones techniques or anything. just my thoughts on safety and ethics of handling a firearm.)
Old April 4, 2012, 10:07 AM   #22
dlb0412

And how would the jury know that you installed a lighter trigger that sounds crazy to me. Ive never herd of anyone testing a trigger after a self defense case either its self defense or not your trigger weight has nothing to do with it. The gun is just the tool you use for protection the gun isnt responsible for killing the shooter is.
Old April 4, 2012, 10:16 AM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

I was tempted to delete this post as being totally misinformed to a level of trolling. I suggest the poster search on the topic before continuing with such a mistaken view of a shooting.
Old October 25, 2015, 09:27 AM   #24
Roncodrummer

I currently carry a Glock 32 chambered in .357 SIG and the trigger leaves a small pitch blister on my finger after 20-30 rounds. I have been contemplating a 3 & 1/2 lb. trigger to alleviate this, but I am a student of Ayoob and agree with his assessment. I also feel that, as a EDC weapon, it will not be fired that many times in a self defense situation. Any thoughts?
Old October 25, 2015, 10:35 AM   #25
Uncle Malice

Firstly, you should have started a new thread, rather than bringing back one that's been dead for 3 years.

If you're getting a blister, it's more likely caused by the serrated trigger. You would do well to replace it with the smooth face trigger from the G17/G22/G31... or any of the excellent aftermarket triggers like the Apex Tactical, Agency Arms, etc.

I don't like the serrated triggers either and they will start to give me a bit of a bit of a blister after 100 rounds or so, even on 9mm versions. I pretty much always just go with the OEM smooth face trigger. They're cheap and work well.
Closed Thread