The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Closed Thread

Old August 31, 2011, 07:23 PM   #1
threegun

My friend is on Top Shot!

A friend of mine that I used to shoot against in Police Pistol Combat and Threegun matches has made it to the tv show Top Shot. His name is Cliff Walsh. Keep an eye out for him because he is bad to the bone with anything you give him to shoot. His specialty is the revolver. Heck he has even beaten the legend Jerry Miculek. I got my biggest competitive pointer from Cliff.

Cliff if you see this good luck and my money is on you dude.

For those of you who might want to know, Cliff beat me every time when using his stinking revolver. He's like a machine. Couple times that he strayed to the dark side (used an auto) I took him LOL.

Again good luck brother everyone at Dade City Rod and Gun Club will be cheering for you.

Chuck
Old August 31, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
TylerD45ACP

Cool, when should I watch it? Whats your buddy Cliff look like I want to see his abilities. The guys who are proficient with revolver are PROFICIENT. Its scary how fast these guys can shoot 6 reload shoot another 6. What time and channel, its history right, im eastern time zone so what'll it be, to lazy to look it up lol.
Old August 31, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
threegun

New episodes Tuesdays at 10pm. He is awesome with a wheel gun. His biggest attribute IMO however is his ability to stay cool and calm. If he gets rattled on Top Shot I will be shocked. If he loses it will be because they gave him a sling shot or something. Thats how good he is capable of shooting.

I knew he was awesome with the revolver and good with an auto but one day we go to a threegun match. He breaks out an M-14 and starts ringing plates (and not big plates either) at 200 yards with iron sights. Just a good well rounded shooter.
Old August 31, 2011, 07:41 PM   #4
TylerD45ACP

Nice... Sounds like he's got alot of deliberation, or the ability to remain calm while you need to rush. Because if you stay deliberate in your action and somewhat calm and slower than the other guy. Chance's are you come out on top because he was rattled, you weren't. Bat Masterson, Old West Gunfighter, said deliberation was the most important thing in a shootout. To keep a cool head in an intense situation, even if a 1/2 sec slower may be the difference between life and death, high and low score. I gota check this out now.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Jo6pak

Good luck to your freind, but it seems to me that Top Shot is more soap opera and politics than shooting skill.
It's about playing the game, not shooting the firearm
Old August 31, 2011, 08:25 PM   #6
TylerD45ACP

I do kind of agree with that Jo6pak, its film created drama shooting.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Eghad

TV = drama

You would not want to watch some boring show with them shooting at standard targets would you?

All in all you must have some skill if you want to make it to the end.

NRA Life Member
Old August 31, 2011, 08:32 PM   #8
TylerD45ACP

Its not just that but the complaining and reality T.V. show BS brought into it. It still a good show but defintley got drama a bit over the top.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:42 PM   #9
DukeNukem

Cliff smoked a Glock guy with a Glock in the elimination challenge a couple of weeks ago. After that his team realized just what they had with Cliff.

Last edited by DukeNukem; August 31, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:43 PM   #10
TylerD45ACP

Nice. I wanna see what Cliff can do.
Old August 31, 2011, 08:54 PM   #11
DukeNukem

Here he is:

http://www.history.com/shows/top-sho...iff#meet-cliff
Old August 31, 2011, 09:21 PM   #12
TylerD45ACP

Looks like he's defintley a contender. He was doing some nice shooting there.
Old August 31, 2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Jason_G

Oh wow, that's your friend? He cleaned up the other day with the Glock (G34, IIRC). Sometimes when I watch that show, I think "oh man, I could out-shoot some of these guys". When he shot the elimination challenge, I was sittin' on the couch thinkin' "dam, nevermind ". I hadn't paid him much attention in the show until then. After seeing him shoot and surprise a lot of folks in the elimination challenge, I think he may be the guy I pull for this season. He ain't no slouch, that's for sure.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 31, 2011, 09:41 PM   #14
Don Glock

i tried. just can't watch that show. too much drama in the house with the confession cams and everything
Old August 31, 2011, 09:59 PM   #15
Wag

Good luck to your friend. Much as I'd like to see him shoot, I just can't stomach that show.

--Wag--
Old August 31, 2011, 10:33 PM   #16
Jason_G

Quote:
i tried. just can't watch that show. too much drama in the house with the confession cams and everything
Quote:
Good luck to your friend. Much as I'd like to see him shoot, I just can't stomach that show.
Y'all must not be married, or your wives don't watch TV or something.

When it's between Top shot or them damn Kardashians or the basketball wives, or Big Brother, I'll take Top Shot any day!

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old August 31, 2011, 11:20 PM   #17
Wag

Married 22 years. Not a lot on T.V. that I like regardless but when it's on, it's better than Top Shot. Of a certainty, I don't watch reality T.V. at all!

I will say, however, I'm starting to get a kick out of the Outdoor Channel and SOME of their shows.

--Wag--
Old September 1, 2011, 07:04 AM   #18
threegun

Quote:
Oh wow, that's your friend? He cleaned up the other day with the Glock (G34, IIRC). Sometimes when I watch that show, I think "oh man, I could out-shoot some of these guys". When he shot the elimination challenge, I was sittin' on the couch thinkin' "dam, nevermind ". I hadn't paid him much attention in the show until then. After seeing him shoot and surprise a lot of folks in the elimination challenge, I think he may be the guy I pull for this season. He ain't no slouch, that's for sure.
He's just a regular guy that doesn't get rattled. Where I would feel the pressure of having time running out and make minor mistakes he doesn't. Smooth and calm. That translates into speed and accuracy.

Its nice to know that I have the ability to hang with a guy who can shoot like Cliff.

I stopped shooting PPC regularly a couple years ago because my Bass fishing tournaments fall on the same day. So I haven't seen Cliff for a while. Heck I didn't know he beat Miculek until I read about it in a gun rag. I spoke with him at the beginning of the year. I had taken my boys then 11 and 14 to shoot a balloon shoot. He was there visiting. I asked him about beating Jerry Miculek. He said Miculek had a bad match and he a good one. Butthole didn't even mention Top Shot. I haven't seen the first show for this season yet because I can't stand the drama or the slingshots and throwing knives LOL.

Anyway he's a great guy and a great shot.
Old September 1, 2011, 08:02 PM   #19
DukeNukem

It's been all firearms so far, I think. Next episode preview looked like tomahawks, knives, and it looked like they even have them throwing rocks.
Old September 2, 2011, 06:45 AM   #20
threegun

Quote:
It's been all firearms so far, I think. Next episode preview looked like tomahawks, knives, and it looked like they even have them throwing rocks.
Jeez and I'm gonna have to watch this one.
Old September 2, 2011, 04:15 PM   #21
serf 'rett

When Cliff went to the elimination a few weeks ago, it appeared the other team members were hoping he bite the bullet. I wondered if it was because he was a little older or if it was scripted into the show dialogue (I recently heard this back-at-the-house stuff is scripted, but I just can't believe it snort, snerk) Turned to the wife and told her that Cliff was about to smoke the other cat, who I think was a NRA instructor.

Don't care for the whining or chest thumping gobble de goop, but they do have some fun range setups. Record to DVR and fast forward through the bull sessions and ads when you watch it later.

Will be rooting for Cliff to make a good run.
Old September 2, 2011, 04:27 PM   #22
MemphisJim

FWIW: I record each new chapter of "As the World of Top Shot Churns." Then I watch it the following day. Amazing how much crap fast forward takes out of the proceedings. And I'm pulling for Cliff, too. "Course, the winner's already at home evaluating his contract offers from the likes of Crimson Trace and others.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:08 PM   #23
Jason_G

Quote:
Don't care for the whining or chest thumping gobble de goop, but they do have some fun range setups. Record to DVR and fast forward through the bull sessions and ads when you watch it later.
That's what I do too.

Jason
Old September 3, 2011, 08:06 AM   #24
JimPage

I don't like all that drama crap they go through. But I finally figured out that bullets have so much velocity that the show would only be about 5 minutes if it was all cut out.
Old September 4, 2011, 08:57 AM   #25
microman

Thats pretty neat. I will be sure to watch
Closed Thread