The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 16, 2018, 10:11 AM   #1
cw308

LaserLyte training laser

Was thinking of getting the laser food dry fire practice , fits down the barrel an can use it for different caliber . Anyone out there have one & how do you like it ?
Old February 16, 2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

I went with a different product (SureStrike?) but laser training cartridges are an immensely valuable tool, especially if you don’t have access to a range where you can do live fire from the holster and with movement.

It basically lets you verify trigger control and proper index to target in your dryfire practice, whoch makes dryfire much more productive.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:11 AM   #3
DMK

I think having some kind of laser activated target is the key to making this work. You want to train by focusing on your front sight (like you would with dry firing). You don't want to develop a training scar looking over your sights to see where the laser is hitting. That's bad.

I use a Laserlyte 9mm cartridge with my CZ75 PCR for practice. The CZ75 has a DA/SA trigger so I don't have to rack the slide to reset the trigger. I can just pull the trigger and 'fire' the laser every time. Using a double action is the key to this working for me.

I also purchased a cheap webcam (Logitech C270) and found free software online (SharpSpotter) to detect the shots. Putting all this together with my laptop and some large silhouette targets, I setup a laser range in my garage.

I initially did this to practice drawing from concealment and firing a defensive shot in a safe way. However, I've found it also a great way to practice drawing and shooting from my car, using cover, shooting while moving, using a flashlight and engaging multiple targets in close quarters. These are things I can't do safely or can't do at all on my local public range. All done with an actual gun and holster that I carry often and the same exact sight picture I'd see with live fire.

So for me, this is way more valuable than just dry fire practice with snap caps.

You can get an idea of the concept here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IuEbsjzmQ

For simplicity but more expense, you can buy Laserlytes's targets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc8Bq3PqwwE

Last edited by DMK; February 16, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:11 AM   #4
Pahoo

I like mine.

Quote:
Anyone out there have one & how do you like it ?
They make different models and mine has the fixed laser, inside a Glock shaped frame. I do like mine and practice from time to time. I also use it for training purposes where we do not allow real ammo or firearms. Some of the models can get a bit pricey. By watching the laser hit, on the target you can see when you might be pulling shots. These are also useful tools in introducing folks that are shy about using handguns without wasting any ammo. ...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...er&_sacat=7301

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:58 PM   #5
Screwball

Laser dry-fire practice is more a CT grip, for me. I prefer that to an insert... especially after having a laser bore-sight jam in my AR upper.

But while I like the laser, something like the MantisX actually gives you feedback to fix issues. Plus, can be used for both dry and live fire. If you are looking at a laser system, I definitely recommend to look at the MantisX.
Old February 16, 2018, 02:15 PM   #6
cw308

Thanks for answering.
I have a 3" 1911 came with CT Laser grips , is one of my carry guns the other is a S&W Chief mod. 36 snub in 38 spl. . I could use the laser on both . Thanks again for your help full information. I'm going to order it now.

Chris
Old February 17, 2018, 09:37 AM   #7
CDR_Glock

I use an NLT SIRT Pistol, the G-Sight solutions app, and a target.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old February 17, 2018, 11:49 AM   #8
cw308

CDR_Glock
Nice setup , using a laser to practice is very helpful in seeing problems . My 1911 came with CT laser grips , the laser is activated by a little button on the front of the grip under the trigger guard. I can switch it off to practice with the LaserLyte noise activated laser . Will probably buy a piece of black construction paper to aim at .Thanks for taking the time in answering .

Chris
Old February 17, 2018, 10:27 PM   #9
surveyor

The sound activated laser works better with double actions than single actions. I have one of the laserlyte modules and the target. The target works well,and registers the shots then goes out. You can display the shots and/or reset it by a laser hit on the 2 bottom sensors.
Old February 17, 2018, 10:47 PM   #10
Kvon2

I got an itarget over the holidays and its been great. Lots of help with trigger control.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:11 PM   #11
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I think having some kind of laser activated target is the key to making this work.
I use the SureStrike laser cartridge because you can replace the battery, instead of buying a new cartridge, when it dies. And, I use the 30.6 oz Maxwell House coffee cans with the opaque lids as targets. The beam passed through the lid and reflects off of the interior of the can:

The diameter of the lid from edge-to-edge is approximately 6" and the inner circle (that lights up) is approximately 5".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
You want to train by focusing on your front sight (like you would with dry firing). You don't want to develop a training scar looking over your sights to see where the laser is hitting. That's bad.
I can testify to that - looking over the sights - bad! Now I stay focused on the front sight dot, and if I see a glow in my peripheral vision, then I know I've got a hit inside of a 5" diameter circle. I'll take that all day, every day, with my little Shield.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old February 18, 2018, 10:41 AM   #12
cw308

rjinga

What a great idea , be careful the company's that make those costly laser target units may pay you a visit in the middle of the night . Now I'm going to start drinking more coffee. Again , GREAT IDEA.

Chris