The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 3, 2000, 05:45 PM   #1
mongfu

i have a cold steel "gunsite" tanto folder and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on cleaner or lubricant, it is much slower opening these days
Old August 4, 2000, 12:05 PM   #2
KOG

I usually clean my folders with really hot soapy water to get rid of dirt, oil, etc. I then blow dry it with a hair dryer to get all the water out. I then oil the blade lightly, let it set, then wipe off.

At the joint, I use a basic oil dropper to put some oil there to keep it slick. You might want to try some gun lubricants to slick it up. My guess is that simple carry has allowed dust and dirt to foul the action a bit; thus, it's not as slick as usual.
Old August 4, 2000, 12:45 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

As an alternative to the above - which is perfect... Instead of oil - get some Tuff Glide which will lube but not collect lint.
Old August 5, 2000, 09:03 AM   #4
dragontooth73

oh kewl ... i use pretty much the same process as KOG described; i use this spray-oil they sell at hobby stores for radio-controlled cars. it comes with a plastic straw that you can attach to the nozzle so you can lubricate small joints easier ... i'd like to know what Tuff Glide is though? can somebody tell me what it is and where i can get it? pardon my ignorance.

wups never mind ... found it ... tuf-glide and tuf-cloth at www.sentrysolutions.com

[This message has been edited by dragontooth73 (edited August 09, 2000).]
Old August 5, 2000, 03:38 PM   #5
Gunter

I have the same knife, and I use gun oil mostly, although I have used Moly/Graphite oil on the joint

------------------
If the priority of the archive over witnes accounts is given up, history ceases to be a science and becomes an art.

http://www.ety.com/tell/why.html