The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2015, 02:59 PM   #126
Snyper

Quote:
I know I've seen tracers on M60 MG ranges ricochet and burn out well before hitting the ground ... IIRC, burnout was 1500 meters of free flight.
Burnout distance is 900 meters
http://www.armystudyguide.com/conten...dy-guide.shtml

Again, unless you're shooting at extreme angles, having a bullet travel a mile when firing at game is nearly impossible

Most of the time the bullets will hit the ground within 500 yds
Old January 3, 2015, 05:30 PM   #127
Husqvarna

Quote:
Again, unless you're shooting at extreme angles
threetop bird hunting with rifles is pretty common in my parts, shooting in an upward angle. as the myth says the roof of our big paperplant is littered with bulletholes

also a couple of years ago some dude was sitting on his porch when a round went thru his roof and shattered his toilet

I can see why some people want to ban this form of hunting I really do. sure know your target and what is beyond it but you can't know what is several kilometers from your target
Old January 3, 2015, 06:11 PM   #128
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
While a head shot is very effective if made perfectly, the target is fairly small and the effectiveness of shots made to the surrounding area drops rapidly.

Body shots have a larger target area and the effectiveness of shots made to the surrounding area drops off slowly.

In other words if you miss a brain shot by four inches you'll hit the jaw or some other area that will make a lingering wound.

If you miss a heart shot by four inches you'll still hit the lungs, blood vessels or something that will still provide a quick death.
I hate to be all anatomical and all, but but if you miss a deer brain by 4", the jaw (and nose) are only a small part of the miss zone. A lot of that miss will be air and no harm done. A lot of that miss will be a neck shot which can be very good.

If you miss the heart by 4", there is a large zone that is lung and blood vessels, no doubt, but there is also either leg that may get shot below the box and part of the front breast.

The "heart" area is a better, higher percentage shot, but you can still cripple the animal in a bad way.

Quote:
He's supposed to be able to pick out a motionless camoflaged hunter in a treeline up to a mile away? I couldn't do that, could you?

I doubt I could see him ..... unless he was wearing ....... wait for it ....... hunter orange.

If I fail to see someone who was not wearing hunter orange, and my bullet (pass-through or a miss, whatever) hits him ..... I'd call that unfortunate, but not my fault at all. There's a reason for the Hunter Orange regs.
Because some hunters are idiots and take sound or movement shots. Because some hunters don't identify their targets.

Funny thing about hunter regs is that they usually only apply to....wait for it..... hunters. What happens when you shoot that hiker because you decided to use the general forest as your backstop?
Old January 4, 2015, 12:54 PM   #129
Gunplummer

That happened before deer season right here. A local guy just walked into the woods to sight in his rifle (Newspaper version). Allegedly he was unloading and the gun went off (Nobody believes that). Hit two high school kids messing around in the woods with one shot. Both will be OK.
Old January 4, 2015, 01:04 PM   #130
tahunua001

well I had a smart reply to hitting people through deer from miles away but apparently it was flagged and removed. guess I'll hold my tongue on this matter then.
Old January 4, 2015, 08:00 PM   #131
Blindstitch

Quote:
Hit two high school kids messing around in the woods with one shot. Both will be OK.
Since then they joined the seminary.
Old January 5, 2015, 02:50 AM   #132
x500ben

A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight. When asked how much drop did he give it he answered " about a foot ". I know that the 22.250's flat shooting but that's something very "special "!
Old January 5, 2015, 07:33 AM   #133
Snyper

Quote:
A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight. When asked how much drop did he give it he answered " about a foot ". I know that the 22.250's flat shooting but that's something very "special "!
I used to hear similar tales when I worked in the gun shop, of "400 yd shots" with a 30-30, zeroed at 100, but holding "right on top of their back".
Old January 5, 2015, 08:48 AM   #134
Panfisher

I don't even count those anymore. Whenever I hear the "I shot it running at 400 yards", I always ask, how much did you lead it or how high did you aim, never have I gotten an answer that was even remotely right, usually its "right on him, this .270 is a killer", at that point I am done with the conversation.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:10 AM   #135
rickyrick

While I haven't read this entire thread, I think the myth of the ineffectiveness of .223 as a hunting cartridge is high on my list.
If used appropriately, it is quite effective.
Old January 5, 2015, 09:30 AM   #136
stagpanther

If ya wanna start an on-line firefight--few ways better than strike up the old 223 deer-slayer argument. LOL
Old January 5, 2015, 09:43 AM   #137
rickyrick

Yes, lol, but as with any cartridge, you must stick within its limitations....
I wouldn't use it on deer myself, but have used it on pigs many times without fail... All within 100yds I must add
Old January 5, 2015, 10:25 AM   #138
stagpanther

I've considered using a 62 ttsx or 72 tsx. What have you used?
Old January 5, 2015, 12:13 PM   #139
rickyrick

I've used most of the hunting cartridges of varying makes as the market for bullets fluctuated. 62gr fusion, razorback ect.. Some of those will exit on low chest shots...

Hornaday V-max to the neck down from the ear an inch or two will stop them in place. Neck is the easiest place on a pig for me.

I've actually grazed piglets in the grass when trying heart shots on larger pigs... Three times. I never saw them there... The piglets are a mess and the sow gets away
Old January 7, 2015, 08:25 AM   #140
TimSr

Quote:
A local game keeper on this side of the pond used to brag about the fox that he claims to have shot at 600 yards with his trusty 22.250 in a spotlight.
I'm more interested in that 600 yard spotlight!
Old January 7, 2015, 10:57 AM   #141
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I won't claim 600 yards, but a Q-Beam will pick up eyes at way-out-yonder distances. I picked up eyes one night when the critter was too far away to tell what it was, even through my scope.
Old January 7, 2015, 01:14 PM   #142
doofus47

stagpanther
Quote:
If ya wanna start an on-line firefight--few ways better than strike up the old 223 deer-slayer argument. LOL
I think that the only topic that will get MORE people riled more quickly would be to add the term "head shot" somewhere in that sentence...
Old January 7, 2015, 01:48 PM   #143
rickyrick

Anyone ever spotlight a spider and try to figure out where the eye-shine was coming from? Silly me has... Curiosity took me all the way to the spider, the closer I got the more I just had to know the source...

It was humorous to me when I figured it out. Glad I didn't try a headshot on it lol
Old January 7, 2015, 07:04 PM   #144
kankakee

Oh I figured I'd through my thoughts in the mix.

I have watched deer pass right over the spot I peed on when walking to my stand. They weren't alarmed. They did stop to sniff the puddle of wintergreen skoal at the base of my stand. They seemed curious but not put off.

Quote:
I don't even count those anymore. Whenever I hear the "I shot it running at 400 yards", I always ask, how much did you lead it or how high did you aim, never have I gotten an answer that was even remotely right, usually its "right on him, this .270 is a killer", at that point I am done with the conversation.
I can honestly say, I shot a coyote at 523 yards on the run during a contest. I had two witnesses and we verified it with a laser range finder. As for the lead? I really couldn't tell you. I know I barely had the dog in my scope because I was leading so much and so high. Pulled that shot out of my chute, could NOT do it again.

Myth I've heard:
Cover scents work.
Old January 7, 2015, 07:55 PM   #145
rickyrick

Keeping tabs on the wind works as far as scent control goes.

If you can stand it, skunk essence works somewhat but only delays detection.

Best method is to make your scent part of the landscape... An area that you visit often is easier hunting. I have also intentionally stepped on all wet cow patties I could on the way to my calling position... Seems to work... Not sure... But fun in a juvenile way..
Old January 8, 2015, 09:26 AM   #146
Gunplummer

You got that right. I used to trap predators and I used skunk scent as a long range attractant. Even if you do manage to cover your scent, the odor you apply usually acts as a curiosity lure and points you out to an incoming animal.
Old January 9, 2015, 01:08 AM   #147
ksmudman

Panfisher

================================================

I did get a buck with my .270 loaded with Nosler Ballistic tip 140 grain, on the run left to right at 300 yards. I lead him about a body length and foot high. He dropped right away. When we dressed him the top of his heart was gone. Could I do it again....no clue, but I was happy with that shot even though he was not as large rack-wise as he seemed when I saw him running. I heard my son yelling something mostly muffled but I could make out the word "big".....when I got near my son he said, " I yelled he wasn't very big" oh well, I was happy with my shot.
Old January 9, 2015, 09:09 AM   #148
Boogershooter

Isn't it funny that when the buck gets away it was always the biggest? Around here people often say " he was so big it looked like he had a rockin chair on his head!"
Old January 9, 2015, 09:18 AM   #149
rickyrick

Although not really a myth, the old youtube video of the Formula 1 car hitting the deer is the most memorable for me... That thing really sailed
Old January 10, 2015, 10:49 AM   #150
stagpanther

yesterday afternoon I took my dog for a walk--he had to go bad cause he took a pee right at the base of the steps to my house. Well, this morning I took him for a walk and his marking apparently drew a lot of critters in to investigate--among the tracks are several deer which came and checked it out. My guess is pee of any kind interests most wild animals since it's a primary form of communication with them.

PS--I was driving back from town last night and a lady was screaming and jumping up and down "watch out for the deer!" as there was a doe standing right in the middle of the road. I pulled up to it, rolled my window down and said in Fat Bastard fashion "Get in my belly!" she took off fast.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM.