The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 29, 2017, 02:21 AM   #26
armoredman

I remember seeing an AR pistol with brace in the news some years ago as being found in a drug dealers home, or such, but very little was made of it by the media. Wonder if they just didn't know?
Old May 5, 2017, 03:50 AM   #27
ROCK6

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman
I remember seeing an AR pistol with brace in the news some years ago as being found in a drug dealers home, or such, but very little was made of it by the media. Wonder if they just didn't know?
We all know the media and general public are pretty ignorant of firearms in general. Unless a certain type or configuration is used in some high-profile killing, they generalize all as "high capacity pistols" or "evil, high-powered assault rifles".

Most are clueless about NFA restrictions (heck, it's confusing in the gun community). Even LEOs aren't that well versed on the continually changing BATFE interpretations.

I took a tactical carbine course south of Atlanta where several APD officers maintain their certifications. Some civilian was using a (real nice) AR pistol with arm brace and was shouldering it the whole course. Only one instructor noticed and we had a detective and two uniformed APD officers in the class who never said a thing. The view among most LEOs is that if you're not committing a violent crime, they really don't have the time to chase down every "illegal" nuance of regulations.

I wouldn't always bet on that, but after seeing all the turmoil about arm brace use in the gun-board communities, there really isn't much attention on it in the public , media or within most LEO communities. I also think with the proliferation of registered SBRs, they just can't keep up or spend time checking everybody for their NFA paperwork.

Although I plan to eventually SBR my "pistols", I love the fact that the gun industry continues to stymy BATFE regulations with new products and devices. It's just hard to do a NFA registry on firearms when Uncle Sam moves you to potentially more restrictive states.

At the end of the day, journalism is dead. The media won't repeat anti-gun stories unless someone else reports it and they rarely fact-check a good "fake-news" story that is inherently anti-gun. They couldn't tell you the difference between a semi-auto and bolt gun, everything is full-auto, every cartridge fired from a rifle is "high-power", and anything over 10-rounds is "high capacity". In other words, arm-brace pistols haven't been included in their anti-gun playbook...

ROCK6
Old May 5, 2017, 04:52 AM   #28
stagpanther

Another way to look at it--maybe if the shouldering of pistols becomes widespread enough--maybe at some point the whole SBR taxation/permitting thing might go away as the boundaries become increasingly artificial? I personally will never pony up the cash for an SBR as long as I can get more or less the same results from a pistol (in the end, all we really talking about is a different buttstock and use of a vertical grip, which I never use on any of my AR configurations anyway).
Old May 5, 2017, 01:20 PM   #29
rickyrick

My first AR pistol was surprisingly easy and fun to shoot without ever having to shoulder it. Plus I can conceal it and carry if I wanted. Never have or will conceal carry the AR, but having options is nice.

It's all kinda silly really