The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 18, 2019, 02:10 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Am I the only one who pines for a SMALLER five (or even four) shot .327 built on a specific .327 platform rather than adding the sixth shot?
It would be nice.
But there are only two predictable outcomes, should such become reality:
1. Ruger does it, and screws up the trigger geometry.
2. Someone else does it, and it costs a fortune.
Old February 18, 2019, 03:04 PM   #27
Lohman446

Quote:
It would be nice.
But there are only two predictable outcomes, should such become reality:
1. Ruger does it, and screws up the trigger geometry.
2. Someone else does it, and it costs a fortune.
Your probably right. I had an old Iver and Johnson? (IIRC) break-top .32 S+W that was smaller than the current LCR / Airweight and am hoping for something in this size range (perhaps a touch larger) but smaller than the current LCR. I don't expect it to be break action as I doubt that would work well with the .327.

Then again I guess I don't really expect it. I still think there is a niche between the NAA mini-revolvers and the LCR size current revolvers.
Old February 18, 2019, 05:49 PM   #28
dgludwig

Quote:
As an aside I find it amusing when adding an extra shot in a revolver group becomes a major selling point.
Hilarious, I suppose-until you need it. Having 20% more ammunition at your disposal in the same size package when defending your life is no laughing matter, imo. I can tell you this: during my 26 year career in le, some of which involved interviewing people involved in shoot-outs, nobody ever complained about having too much ammunition at the ready.

There's simply no downside to having an extra bullet on board when your life is at stake and it's enough of an advantage for me when comparing 5-shot vs 6-shot snub-nose revolvers in the same size platforms, to make it a major selling point. This is not to say that a five shot snubbie has no place in a self-defense role but is to say that having an extra shot could make a life-saving difference and will never be a disadvantage.
Old February 18, 2019, 06:31 PM   #29
Lohman446

Your making a strong argument for the 10+1 semis of the same size
Old February 18, 2019, 07:24 PM   #30
dgludwig

Nope, my "argument" concerns only revolvers intended for use in self-defense being carried concealed and being of the same size and configuration (generally speaking, a snub nose); the only substantive difference being whether it has a five or six shot capacity. Period.
Old February 18, 2019, 08:14 PM   #31
littlebikerider

It seems like every reviewer who touches one of these guns feels compelled to mention the "one more shot" and "five kinds of ammo" points. I get it! And as valid as those points may be, I think the cartridge is just a nice fit between .22/.22WMR and .38 special. I think it's a bit misleading that these go into .357 mag territory, they don't go very far. But it does seem to be a capable round, in the rifle I believe they have been chronied at 2000fps.
Old February 18, 2019, 09:05 PM   #32
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebikerider View Post
I think it's a bit misleading that these go into .357 mag territory, they don't go very far.
Oh, I don't know about that. I've clocked the Federal 100 gr at 1551 fps from a 4.2" Ruger barrel. That produces 534 foot pounds of ME. Double Taps' 115 cast clocked at 1444 for 532 foot pounds of ME.

That's not far from the 357's 125 gr at 1450 fps and 583 foot pounds of ME from a 4" barrel.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:24 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I've clocked the Federal 100 gr at 1551 fps from a 4.2" Ruger barrel.
Yep.
Most people forget that the AE 100 gr load is rated for 1,500 fps from the 3" barrel.

Out of longer barrels, it does even better. On a hot day, I once saw a 1,700+ fps string from the 5.5" Blackhawk.
Old February 18, 2019, 10:58 PM   #34
littlebikerider

I humbly stand corrected! Honestly, I was going more off of my perception of felt recoil, as I haven't had the chance to shoot mine over a chrony. The American Eagle 100gr was pretty manageable, I thought, and at 7 yards made a 5-shot ragged hole shooting offhand (single action).
Old February 19, 2019, 02:31 AM   #35
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohman446 View Post
Then again I guess I don't really expect it. I still think there is a niche between the NAA mini-revolvers and the LCR size current revolvers.
I do too, but it's a niche that has been totally ignored simply because you wouldn't be able to get .38's in it and for many, anything below a .38 in a centerfire revolver is a no go.

There have been .25 revolvers in Europe that are bigger than the NAA, but smaller than J frames and they'd be a great starting point to get a 5 shot .32 going. I don't see the point of staying with the .25 in that size, not enough power to make better than .22 Mag.
Old February 19, 2019, 12:24 PM   #36
ViperR

Here is my .327 Fed Mag 6-shot revolver. Charter Arms Patriot 2 1/4" barrel. A little bit bigger than a J frame and much smaller than a K frame. Handles factory .327 well and I practice with 32 H&R reloads. I have the 32 H&R reloads down to around $13 a box of 50. 100 grain BadMan poly coated hard cast in Starline brass. The holster is a vintage Biancchi for a K frame 2 1/2" and fits nicely. A little loose, but draws very quickly. Love the 32 platform. 32 S&W Longs are a real kitty cat to shoot.

Last edited by ViperR; May 3, 2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old February 20, 2019, 09:40 PM   #37
tallball

My 4.2" SP101 is a hoot with 327 magnums. The other cartridges are fun, but not as spicy as the 327's.

I also have several revolvers in 32 H&R, which I feel is okay for SD.

32's are fun revolvers. It's odd to me that they aren't more popular. Especially, as another poster said, it seems like they would often be a good choice for women for SD.

The threads where people act like the only choices for their grandma or wife or GF or whatever are 22 or 38 drive me crazy.
Old February 21, 2019, 07:05 PM   #38
littlebikerider

I ordered a Pachmayr grip for mine, I'm eager to try it out.
Old February 21, 2019, 08:05 PM   #39
Cosmodragoon

littlebikerider, glad to see the correction. As I said previously, you get around 1200 fps from the LCR with those 85-grain Hydra-Shoks. That's about perfect for a six-shot pocket gun with relatively light recoil. Even discounting the sixth round, I'd prefer that to most .38 special. It really hits a sweet spot.

To give you an idea of the difference, the box velocity for those is 1400 fps. The box velocity for the heavier 100-grain American Eagles is 1500 fps. That's a spicy little round! It's unusual because at around half the price of the Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, etc., they were the "budget" factory ammo for a few years. I think some of the people who got into .327 for the light recoil started out on those less expensive American Eagles and ended up disappointed.

Luckily, AE now offers a budget 85-grain soft point that's more on par with the 85-grain Hydra-Shok. This part of the .327 spectrum is great in the LCR. The more powerful loads really shine in the SP101 and GP100. As you guessed, I think all of them break 2000 fps in the 20" Henry Rifle. That's a great place for the hot budget soft point!
Old February 21, 2019, 08:48 PM   #40
Real Gun

If you are going for 1200 fps, why not back off a bit and go subsonic on such a noisy, concussive cartridge? I am using Brian Pearce's subsonic load with Power Pistol, 100 gr lead. That makes it a carry gun for those concerned about needing ear protection. You could say the same about .357 Magnum.

Last edited by Real Gun; February 22, 2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 22, 2019, 05:45 AM   #41
littlebikerider

Cosmo - have you found a source for the 85 or 100-gr soft point bullets? I have everything I need to handload for .327, but have not been able to find those.

Real Gun - that is what I hope to come up with as a handload. My wife wants nothing to do with .38/.357, but if I come up with something that's accurate, I think she would like to shoot this pistol.
Old February 22, 2019, 08:36 AM   #42
Wishoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
Here is my .327 Fed Mag 6-shot revolver. Charter Arms Patriot 2 1/4" barrel. A little bit bigger than a J frame and much smaller than a K frame. Handles factory .327 well and I practice with 32 H&R reloads. I have the 32 H&R reloads down to around $13 a box of 50. 100 grain BadMan poly coated hard cast in Starline brass. The holster is a vintage Biancchi for a K frame 2 1/2" and fits nicely. A little loose, but draws very quickly. Love the 32 platform. 32 S&W Longs are a real kitty cat to shoot.
I've been begging Charter to resume manufacturing of the Patriot for several years. They don't seem interested in bringing it back however.
Old February 23, 2019, 05:17 AM   #43
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
If you are going for 1200 fps, why not back off a bit and go subsonic on such a noisy, concussive cartridge? I am using Brian Pearce's subsonic load with Power Pistol, 100 gr lead. That makes it a carry gun for those concerned about needing ear protection. You could say the same about .357 Magnum.
Real Gun, I use these because a reliably expanding 85-grain hollow-point of that size and sectional density traveling at around 1200 fps feels like a sweet spot for me in a gun of that size with the amount of recoil it produces. It's like the porridge that Goldilocks thought was "just right". A big part of why I like .327 Federal so much is that it hits a sweet spot here with the LCR and also in the 4" SP101 with the hotter and heavier loads.

Sure, it's loud. Of course, almost any concealable firearm is going to be loud. Any one of them can damage your hearing, especially when firing from a short barrel, or in a small space, or right next to your face. The reality is that none of us want to be involved in a messy and unpredictable defensive encounter where we need our firearm. On the off chance that we are, we want that firearm to be as effective as possible (within the spectrum of what we'll be likely to carry). We all need to understand that we could suffer a little hearing loss, get otherwise injured, or end up facing all sorts of legal and financial trouble regardless of actual facts. The first goal is to survive.

It might also be worth pointing out that while short-term exposure to loud noise is bad, it isn't as bad as repeated or prolonged exposure. Concerns in this area should first be applied to our regular recreation and practice.

Quote:
... have you found a source for the 85 or 100-gr soft point bullets? I have everything I need to handload for .327, but have not been able to find those.
No, littlebikerider. I hate to say it but I shoot factory ammo. Those loads from American Eagle still tend to be the most affordable. I stock up when I catch a deal. I usually buy at $22.50 per box of fifty but I occasionally find them for $20.
Old February 23, 2019, 06:38 PM   #44
willr

I have an early SP101 327mag. can't vouch for accuracy, but have reloaded for it for several years. The real problem has been finding load info. Unfortunately, that still is a problem. No one still seems to want to publish reloading info for the 327mag.
willr
Old February 23, 2019, 06:40 PM   #45
Dan-O

Better than nothing.

http://www.reloadammo.com/327fed-mag.htm
Old February 23, 2019, 06:55 PM   #46
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by willr View Post
The real problem has been finding load info. Unfortunately, that still is a problem. No one still seems to want to publish reloading info for the 327mag.
willr
Really?

Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Western Powders and Hodgdon are no one?
Old February 23, 2019, 07:39 PM   #47
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Really?

Lyman, Hornady, Speer, Western Powders and Hodgdon are no one?
Apparently.
Usually the background for statements like that can be viewed as, "No one has data for the cheap bulk bullet that I bought before checking data sources, so now I'm irritated."
There's a reason for cheap, soft bullets not being listed with full-power .327 Federal load data. They can cause forcing cone damage.
Old February 23, 2019, 08:41 PM   #48
rclark

I've a single-seven in .327 ... But it has never seen a .327 cartridge. At the time I wanted a .32H&R Magnum revolver and this was the only single action I found that would 'work'. What I was looking for was a 'reloadable' .22 as I was bit frustrated with the shortage at the time. Of course a little later I found a Baby Vaquero, a little Bird's head Uberti sixgun, and then a Single Six.... So I am firmly in .32 territory. Now that .22 is plentiful again at a reasonable price they don't get shot to often. I tested 78g RN, 100g RN, and 115g FP. Found good loads (subsonic in revolvers) for all the bullets tested. No interest in .327. In my opinion, the .327 is a solution to a non-existent problem. But again, that is just my opinion... I've .357s on up for 'magnum' power if I ever need it. And these are revolvers that my wife can also enjoy shooting.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.

Last edited by rclark; February 23, 2019 at 08:56 PM.
Old February 24, 2019, 07:13 AM   #49
Cosmodragoon

rclark, I actually liked .32 H&R magnum. I still have one revolver chambered for it (now in "fancy paperweight" status). The .32 H&R Magnum had some of the same benefits of .327 Federal when compared with the vanilla mid-weight .38 special I was using in the 1990s. The "solution" offered by .327 Federal is taking that up a level. It lifts up the compact six-shot .32, free and clear from the margin swamp of stuff like .38 special and .380 acp.