The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2019, 05:27 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Hornady Data

I cant find a Hornady 10th manual locally so Had to order one. Does anyone here have Data for the 7mm remington Magnum, 150 grain Eldx from that Manual?

Want to get to the range this weekend with it, but wont have the manual until tuesday.

Much appreciated.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Since the board policy on posting copyrighted material doesn't allow images of the book to be posted and since there are 17 different powders and 66 loads listed, it is too much to copy by typing and be sure of making no mistakes. Pick one powder and someone will post the start and maximum loads for you. Or, call Hornady. They will tell you or email it too you. They don't make you buy the manual for just one set of load data. Ask them for the data on page 409 of the tenth edition.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 15, 2019, 05:37 PM   #3
308Loader

what powder are you using? Go to the manufactures website, they should have load data for you. remember to start at START, then work up. Hornadys loads tend to be on the light side, but is one of three I consult when loading. 2 from books( lyman-speer-hornady) then powder manufacture, usually hogdon (who seems to be on the heavy side). start at lowest published start for that weight bullet.

edit: COL for that bullet might be listed as 3.290, you can call Hornady to confirm.

Last edited by 308Loader; February 15, 2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old February 15, 2019, 05:38 PM   #4
kilotanker22

RL 26 is where I plan to start.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 05:40 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Thanks Unclenick, I hadn't thought about that.
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 05:41 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

RL 26 is not listed. You'll have to work from Alliant's data. Remember, their "recipe" is their maximum load and you are expected to take it down 10%. Or, if you call Hornady, they may have tested it since the manual was written. The manuals take a couple of years to compile.

Alliant's only 150-grain bullet listed is a Sierra Soft Point BT. 61.6 grains to start, 68.4 grains of RL 26 Maximum.
Old February 15, 2019, 05:46 PM   #7
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
RL 26 is not listed. You'll have to work from Alliant's data. Remember, their "recipe" is their maximum load and you are expected to take it down 10%. Or, if you call Hornady, they may have tested it since the manual was written. The manuals take a couple of years to compile.

Alliant's only 150-grain bullet listed is a Sierra Soft Point BT. 61.6 grains to start, 68.4 grains of RL 26 Maximum.
That is very close to Sierra's Data
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

Probably not a coincidence. The main difference will be that Sierra usually develops loads in production guns while Alliant uses SAAMI pressure and velocity barrels primarily.
Old February 15, 2019, 06:14 PM   #9
kilotanker22

Does Hornady List H-1000?

I have that powder as well
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

H1000, 61.2 grains to start, 68.3 Max
Old February 15, 2019, 06:25 PM   #11
kilotanker22

Thanks
– St. Augustine
Old February 15, 2019, 06:46 PM   #12
std7mag

sending PM....

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old February 15, 2019, 07:06 PM   #13
RC20

Unclenick: than you, I did not know you could get a page of data from Hordady, good to know.
Old February 16, 2019, 06:39 AM   #14
std7mag

RC20,
I use RL26 almost exclusively in my Rem Mag with 140gr and up bullets.
So i looked at my notes.

I also have QuickLoad just for these cartridge/bullet/powder combination senarios that i run into often.

Andyeah, i have Hornady 8, and X also.

Old February 16, 2019, 09:17 AM   #15
higgite

It may or may not be useful information for you, depending on how badly or quickly you want the Hornady recipes before your hard copy arrives, but you can go to Amazon.com and download a free Kindle app and the Hornady 10th Edition in ebook form for $19.99.
Old February 16, 2019, 10:04 AM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Good to know it's there! Thanks for posting that.
Old March 1, 2019, 08:05 AM   #17
kilotanker22

Meant to post this awhile back. After I saw that the digital version. Was available. I canceled my order for the hard copy. And bought the digital from Amazon. I also bought the Lyman Manual that way.

It works nicely. Glad I did that. Now I just wish Sierra would have a useful digital format.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2019, 08:23 AM   #18
big al hunter

Quote:
Now I just wish Sierra would have a useful digital format.
Perhaps they need a few emails from our members requesting said format. How many times would a smart business manager need to hear "I just purchased your competitors product in digital format, it is my preferred method of purchase now" before they get the ball rolling on this?

It makes business sense to make it available. No printing cost, lower price tag, higher profit margin, no distribution shipping cost or hastles, happy customers.
Old March 1, 2019, 09:30 AM   #19
kilotanker22

Well they have the app. Which has their information, but it is not easy to navigate or index.
– St. Augustine
Old March 1, 2019, 07:52 PM   #20
std7mag

Sierra has their infinity suite.
I didn't know it was available on an app.
I downloaded Barnes, Ramshot, Western Powder, Speer, Lyman. All were free.

Old March 1, 2019, 08:53 PM   #21
kilotanker22

You can download the Sierra load manual app from the playstore or Itunes. It has all of their information. It costs $6 per year and automatically updates when they release new data. BUT, It is a terribly cumbersome and annoying app to try to use.... Almost useless and impossible to index with any sort of efficiency
– St. Augustine
Old March 2, 2019, 04:48 PM   #22
RC20

Quote:
Meant to post this awhile back. After I saw that the digital version. Was available. I canceled my order for the hard copy. And bought the digital from Amazon. I also bought the Lyman Manual that way.
I like at least two fairly current copies of Sierra and Hornady in the book form. Just put my older manuals next to the computer so I can reference them for discusions.
Old March 4, 2019, 01:41 PM   #23
kilotanker22

I have the Sierra 5th edition 8th printing in hard copy on my shelf.
Nosler 6th
And I buy the hodgdon annual manual.

The problem with the Sierra Manual I have is that It was printed before many of the powders I use even existed. Also It doesn't have any of the newer cartridges in it.
– St. Augustine
Old March 5, 2019, 02:08 PM   #24
T. O'Heir

You don't need Hornady data. You need 150 grain 7mm Mag data. An ELDX is just a jacketed 150. Lots of 150 grain data on Hodgdon's site.
Sierra wants you to buy their book. $32.99 at Brownell's.
Old March 5, 2019, 03:26 PM   #25
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
You don't need Hornady data. You need 150 grain 7mm Mag data. An ELDX is just a jacketed 150. Lots of 150 grain data on Hodgdon's site.
Sierra wants you to buy their book. $32.99 at Brownell's.
I ended up using Sierra Data and Alliant Data with RL 26 for the 7mm, and 150 grain.
– St. Augustine