The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 12, 2019, 03:44 PM   #1
TruthTellers

Winchester Hybrid-X ammo

Just discovered that Winchester is going to soon come out with a new projectile that's part Polycase Inceptor and part standard jacketed lead.

http://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/2...ster-hybrid-x/

When I first looked at it I thought, "Oh, it's Polycase Inceptor only it uses a lead base to increase weight, so it should penetrate better and also not tumble in soft tissue due to the light weight of the bullet."

No, instead this ammo is designed to break apart and the polymer tip breaks away from the segmenting lead core, which acts like RIP ammo.

After seeing all this, I've decided this ammo is gimmicky crap and I'll be staying away. Winchester had something with a heavier Polycase bullet, something that would work no matter what the barrel length is and it would penetrate well, but instead they make this garbage.
Old February 14, 2019, 06:48 PM   #2
Bottom Gun

I do think the fluid transfer technology makes sense but I don’t think this round will provide enough penetration. Nor can it be very good if you have to shoot through a barrier. I would have more confidence in a monolithic bullet Like the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Defender or Xtreme Penetrator.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.