The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 8, 2019, 06:50 PM   #1
unclejack37

Federal Premium Shorty Shotshell

Has anyone tried any of these new shotshells? They are 12Ga. 1.75inches long and have a velocity of 1145 fps. They can be # 9 shot, 00 buck or slug. They are also listed as low re-coil. I have a problem defining low re-coil with a 12Ga. shotgun. I just never experienced it, ever.http://https://www.shootingillustrat...rty-shotshell/
Old February 8, 2019, 06:55 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Agillia has been making “mini shells” for a long time. They do offer reduced recoil at the cost of reliability in a repeating shotgun (pump or semi). Those guns allow the short shells to turn around in the action, stopping the gun.

In a dbl barrel they do offer the recoil reduction. But, obviously no increase in capacity.
Old February 9, 2019, 05:26 AM   #3
TruthTellers

Nothing is ever low recoil, it's lower recoil and yeah, the short shells are lower in recoil. My range trip of the Aguila slugs vs Winchester slugs was significantly different, I'm sure it's the same in the shot loaded shells.

About reliability in a pump shotgun, the 1-3/4 inch short shells may have an issue, but there's 2-1/4 inch shells from Herter's and sold by Cabela's that's lower recoil and does work in pumps pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXj2j-CxaCo

Given it's a longer shell, I'm not surprised it works better. I just wonder why more people don't talk about the Herter's defense ammo. I guess because most people get set in their ways after a while and see everything else that's not 00 Buck as a gimmick.
Old February 9, 2019, 09:37 AM   #4
DukeConnor

i ran some shorties in my mossberg. it requires a opsol mini clip to make them function. it is a small beveled rubber insert. it works well but a couple times it moved. wouldn't trust it foe defense. i went to the herters mentioned above. no problem feeding.

inyernet wisdom says the minis run in the winchester pumps without the clip
Old February 9, 2019, 10:50 AM   #5
FITASC

Recoil is a factor of mass of the gun, mass of the payload and velocity of the payload, not the length of the shell.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 10, 2019, 02:56 PM   #6
TruthTellers

The thought just occurred to me about feeding issues with the sub 2" long short shells, if maybe shotguns were built for 2-3/4" length shells, not 3", that there would be less feed issues when using the mini shells.

I know a 1/4" may not sound like a lot, but if the pump guns were designed a bit differently, it may make all the difference to get them to run right, removable adapter included.

The whole reason 12 ga shotguns are in 3 inch isn't so much for their extra payload, it's always "if you can't find 2-3/4", 3" will work." and last I checked there's never been a shortage or panic of shotgun ammo like .22 a few years back.
Old February 11, 2019, 04:32 PM   #7
bladesmith 1

Low recoil. I handload to what I call low recoil. If young boys and girls can shoot my shells then I'd think you could call them low recoil. A friend just bought a 1894 Remington SxS from me and I told him to grab one of my shells and try it. He claimed it was like shooting a 28 or 410. As FITASC said, a light payload - 3/4oz in the 12ga, 1160fps, and a 8# gun, or a auto. I keep a couple of boxes in the closet in the shotgun office and a Model 11 Remington auto for when fathers bring their kids out to shoot with those light 20ga single barrel guns that kick the sh!! out of them. You should see the smile on the kids face. If only the father had spent a extra couple of bucks and bought them a auto. A Auto 5 or Model 11 can be adjusted to shoot even the lowest pressure/recoil shell. Great guns.