The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2018, 12:49 AM   #1
musicmatty

Regrets

I have a posting that’s titled ‘success today’. My regret with this posting is simply this, I should have never posted a picture of the deer dead on the ground with my rifle on it. I look at the posting now which I can no longer edit and I see total grandstanding on my part. Putting food on the table is certainly worthy and justified. However, glorifying a picture of a dead animal was pointless and braggadocio’s on my part.

I should have just limited the posting with pictures of the venison stew which is a nice touch for the holidays. Also, useful information on the cartridge that I used and how it differed from others in the past that I have hunted with.

Please note that this posting is not intended to disparage others in wanting to post pictures of their hunt.

Last edited by musicmatty; December 17, 2018 at 01:36 AM.
Old December 17, 2018, 01:15 AM   #2
bamaranger

unnecessary

Matty, you can do as you please within reason regards your pics, but I don't think anybody here will ever give you a hard time for posting a dead critter pic. Heck, hunters have made pics of their kills since the days of the caveman, with the rock paintings still surviving all over the world.

There is a decided trend these days to sanitize our sport using words like "harvest" and "take" and frequent criticism of dead critter pics. I don't buy any of it. The old meat pole pics of days gone by, rock paintings, and even taxidermy work are all part of our sport. Likewise, their are a lot of folks who will can only rationalize hunting and killing game "if it's eaten". So varmint hunting, pests and so forth is frowned upon by certain folks.

But you don't have to candy coat anything here, and certainly no need to apologize to the brethren.
Old December 17, 2018, 02:10 AM   #3
Dufus

I am one of the ones that was taught to eat what is shot. I still practice that.

That is the reason that I won't shoot a porky pine, skunk, etc.

I have been chastised for not killing rattle snakes, and I have eaten a few, but I won't kill one just because it is a snake. I think they are beautiful creatures.

I have never been offended by someone posting pics of their hunts.

Bravado or not, it was work done well.

In eastern part of the state, wolves roam. I have killed three at different times that were stalking livestock. That is different.
Old December 17, 2018, 07:17 AM   #4
eastbank

if I jacklighted or pouched game illegaly I would not post pictures, but my hunts are fair chase non fenced and are very hard work most of the time. so I,m prould when I win the hunt for the animals I go for.
Old December 17, 2018, 07:24 AM   #5
huntinaz

Dude.

Quote:
There is a decided trend these days to sanitize our sport using words like "harvest" and "take" and frequent criticism of dead critter pics. I don't buy any of it.
Neither do I, and in fact I look down on it.

When I hunt it's wholesome and I get food and fun and satisfaction from it. What the heck would I be ashamed of or sad about?

You hunted and killed that deer. You had fun. You got food. It was wholesome and it was awesome. That's why you took the picture. You were right to do it.

If the act was wholesome, how would the picture of it not be?

Picture of a dead deer and a levergun is good stuff. Never thought I'd see someone apologize for that

Embrace it matty
Old December 17, 2018, 07:53 AM   #6
mehavey

O Lord, bless the blood and the flesh of this the creature that You gave me.
Created by Your hand as You created man,
Life given for life.
That me and mine may eat with thanks for the gift,
That me and mine may give thanks for Your own sacrifice of blood and flesh,
Life given for life.

MusicCatty, I agree with you.
Success is a family fed or protected.
Not in exaltation of death
Old December 17, 2018, 08:29 AM   #7
thallub

Quote:
My regret with this posting is simply this, I should have never posted a picture of the deer dead on the ground with my rifle on it.
Don't have any problem with that. i often post photos of my kills.

To me the term "harvest" when applied to game animals conjures up visions of a big John Deere corn harvester chopping up deer.
Old December 17, 2018, 08:53 AM   #8
musicmatty

I’ve noticed that many Hunters have body cams mounted on them or their hunting stands and are able to film their entire hunt… Seems pretty amazing! After reviewing my original post, I feel that I could’ve done a better job showing a successful hunt and bringing food from field to table.

Speaking for myself only, I feel that a picture of the animal standing on all four before it’s killed and followed up with pictures of a pot of venison chili or stew ..or a roast that is garnish nicely on the table would be a more tasteful presentation of a successful hunt.

I would never support or encourage censorship of any kind with regards to posting photos here, I’m just stating my own preference.

Thanks for hearing me out
Old December 17, 2018, 09:24 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Comes down to respect. Seems to me the picture was respectful and modest. Not at all showboating. Was not the gory blood and guts so many revel in. You did good and were proud of it, not anything wrong with that.
Old December 17, 2018, 02:00 PM   #10
rickyrick

I don’t have problems with pictures in a setting like this forum.
I think that it may not be appropriate on Facebook or something like that.
I also think that there are legitimate reasons to kill some animals besides eating them.
I also respect if someone doesn’t want to kill non-game animals.
I don’t like killing for fun only.
I don’t get why people use forced perspective to make an animal appear larger... if the pig’s eye is as big as the hunter’s face... something fishy is going on (<.<) (>.>)
Old December 17, 2018, 04:01 PM   #11
jmr40

You have nothing to regret. As they say "pics, or it didn't happen".

Winston Churchill
Old December 17, 2018, 04:10 PM   #12
Double Naught Spy

Grandstanding? Hunters enjoy seeing pics of people's kills. Hunters enjoy seeing the gear that others are using. Hunters enjoy hearing stories about how the hunt unfolded, seeing videos, etc. It is as much a part of sharing the experience as would be showing a pot of venison stew (which also includes a dead deer, tools of the trade, and a bit of pride of the photographer in having done a good job), but the pot of venison stew is much less exciting than seeing the deer and gear. On a cooking forum, the pot of stew would take precedence over the deer and gear.
Old December 17, 2018, 04:49 PM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Nothing at all wrong with a photo of a prize you've earned. If it upsets somebody, that's their own problem, not yours.

At the worst it's proof that you can provide your own meat; you don't need to hire somebody else to do the dirty work for you
Old December 17, 2018, 11:44 PM   #14
Rachen

Hi Matty, I was actually just about to retire for the night when I saw this post, so I am going to offer my 2 cents:

There is no need to feel shame or guilt about posting pictures of your hunt. It should be noted with pride and accomplishment. You have been gifted with the ability to provide food for your family, and even though we live in an age of markets and trade, it is an age we take for granted. Do you know how fast a society can turn downhill, whether from war or pestilence or natural disaster? Skills like shooting and hunting will ALWAYS be valuable and will save lives when the need arises.

I am an avid hunter myself. Why? Because I prefer my food to be free from steroids, antibiotics, growth hormones, and especially the cruelty of factory farming and the abattoir slaughter system, which causes the meat to be filled with stress hormones that can lead to a whole host of human health problems. Of course, I have consumed factory farmed meat but I try to free-range harvest my food whenever possible. And just like the other individuals on this thread have stated, I am also vehemently against the hunt for trophies or sport. If I am going to shoot an animal, it is either going to be consumed as food, or because it was presenting a threat to me or people that I care about.

I come from a culture that is rooted around hunting, shooting and the harvest of game. In northern China, there is a long, long history of self reliance because the land is harsh and dangerous. Even today, people live off the land there and all of my family who dwell in the South Gobi portion of China hunt and herd for sustenance.

The hunting pictures that I have posted below date back to the 1600's, from the beginning of the Qing Dynasty. As you can see, depicting and painting the hunt was so important in Chinese culture that it is even used on porcelains and pottery, all of which today are pricelessly valuable and are stored only in the most highly guarded museums. Even the reproductions of these plates cost a fortune and is used by people like government officials and corporate executives to establish their status in society.

Emperor Kangxi chasing arrow-wounded deer with chain-mace - 1660's

Getting ready for the hunt: An Imperial sharpshooter checks his bow - 1650-1670

More imperial officers on the hunt - app. early 1700's

Huntsmen afield - app. 1700's

There are a number of these plates also in my family's collection. They are reproductions from the Republic (Mingguo) era and they are still highly valued if they appear on the market at any time. Those who display such items are showing others that they are sportsmen and they are highly dedicated to the lifestyle.

Last edited by Rachen; December 17, 2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old December 17, 2018, 11:52 PM   #15
Hawg

Don't worry about it, this isn't Facebook.
Old December 18, 2018, 07:57 PM   #16
Panfisher

LOL, I was way more "disturbed" by the photo of the stew. Cooked celery blechhh. Not a thing wrong with the photo of the deer and rifle. Heck I usually put photos of my wife's deer on my Facebook page and don't think I have ever have a bad comment. If I did it made zero impression on me. Go forth and post more pics, well maybe not the stew!
Old December 18, 2018, 09:12 PM   #17
Drm50

Ditto on the stew , nice deer pic.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:46 PM   #18
MoMan

Showing the results of a successful hunt should NEVER need an apology!! As long as the pictures are done tastefully, I say why not show what you were able to accomplish, when it comes to providing for your Family and/or others!

I certainly wouldn't worry about the PC Police.

Member: NRA/Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club
Old December 18, 2018, 11:28 PM   #19
huntinaz

Lol seriously. The regret should be for wasting the best part of the animal into a stew.
Old December 19, 2018, 01:55 PM   #20
Saltydog235

I go on hunting sites to see pics of kills others have made, to congratulate them or discuss hunting. I go on fishing sites to do the same. If people don’t want to see dead animals, take up knitting, gardening or crossstitch.

I post kill pics when I can and we wat our game and fish, other than hogs. I throw those nasty vermin in the nearest ditch.
Old December 19, 2018, 10:54 PM   #21
jersurf101

This is a gun forum with a hunting section. We enjoy seeing your kill with the rifle used. No glory, just success, congrats!