The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2019, 08:57 AM   #1
gbclarkson

Another What Should I Buy? question

I'm looking for a new concealed carry pistol. I have a Bersa BP9cc and a Ruger LCR .38 and like neither. The Bersa has been back and forth to the warranty center 3 times and I don't trust it. It is also a complete pain in the ___ to take apart to clean. Love the size and trigger, though. I am becoming a recoil sissy as I get older and the LCR is too unpleasant to shoot so I don't practice with it.

Here is what I am finding on the interwebs and considering as options:

Ruger LC9s
Glock 43x
Springfield XDs
Walther CCP M2
Sig P365
Kel Tec PF9
S&W Shield

I prefer striker fired. I like lighter triggers or triggers easily modified by a quality gunsmith. I have small hands so I need a thin(ner) grip. I would prefer a barrel length closer to 3.5" than 3". I need to stay under $500 and I think all of the above are. I also have a Springfield Xdm 9mm now and I love the pistol but recent financial changes are pushing me to condense the contents in my safe to a single pistol that accommodates as many situations as possible (CCW, nightstand, console, IDPA). I have a lot of 9mm ammo so I don't want to change calibers.

What are you experiences with the pistols listed above in comparison to each other and with consideration of my needs and preferences? Are there others I have neglected to look up?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to replies.
Old February 16, 2019, 09:32 AM   #2
odugrad

Walther PPS M2.

You're welcome.
Old February 16, 2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Siggy-06

I recommend the Shield, XD-S, and a Walther PPS m2(not ccp). Though these are single stack, they shoot very well and soak up recoil pretty well. 1st gen shields can be found online for $249, which is a killer deal for an excellent pistol. My XD-S(not mod 2) in 9mm has been flawless, and the extended mag with sleeve make it a great range pistol. The Walther has great egros and takes down like a glock, the trigger is good as well.

Ignore the PF9 if you dont like snappy, the lc9s is a bit snappy as well at 17oz.
Old February 16, 2019, 09:57 AM   #4
USNRet93

Might look at a standard Glock 43..somewhat more versatile in that the grip length can be modified to suit different clothing..tighter..standard 6+1..Looser? Get a + 2-3 mag plate and the grip will be the same length and comfort as the 43x..PLUS G43 pretty dern cheap now with the 43x being out..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old February 16, 2019, 10:10 AM   #5
JDBerg

You should seriously consider the Walther PPS-M2, I’m seeing deals way under $300, which is a lot less than what I paid for mine about 3 yrs. ago. I would also pick up a few of the 8 round accessory magazines, I carry mine with the 6 rd. mag, and the 8 rounders work great as carry spares and for the range. You really can’t beat this one as a great carry gun that shoots very reliably & accurately.
Old February 16, 2019, 12:03 PM   #6
bjw741

You should also consider the Taurus G2c. About the same size as the S&W Shield but with 12+1 capacity. You can usually find them for under $250 and they come with 2 mags.
Old February 16, 2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I am becoming a recoil sissy as I get older
M&P 380 Shield EZ
Or
Keep the LCR, and consider this ammo.
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...efense-lite#!/
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 16, 2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Mosin44az

I own and can recommend Glock 43, SIG P 365 and Shield. All have good triggers, are accurate and have decent low recoil, with the Shield having the least as it is slightly larger and heavier. All have been essentially perfect in reliability.

I owned and do not recommend Kel-tec PF9. Even if you get a good one the recoil, muzzle flip and trigger are substantially worse than the above three.

The LC9s has a great trigger and is accurate, but like the Kel-tec it copies, recoil is notably sharper than my recommended choices. One of my LC9s had feed issues, and that model is known for having had a bad recoil assembly design. My other one would pop its magazine if fired left handed. Bad fit.

I have owned several XD series pistols and would be comfortable buying the XD-s in 9mm. Recoil is mild and as I recall it has the advantage of having a rail for a small tac light, relevant since you say you want “one” gun.
Old February 16, 2019, 01:36 PM   #9
Carl the Floor Walker

You would do well to shoot them all. To say that the LC9S has a great trigger is well very subjective. Great for what? Target shooting? I wanted to get a new Micro 9 and moved away from the LC9s because I thought it way to light to carry. I bought a double action and never looked back. The Glock does not ride in my hand very well, had the Shield, and got rid of that years ago, too big. The PF 9 is basically a LC9, although I have not shot one in years.
I have shot the Walther, liked it, but did not want it enough to make it my carry gun.

You really need to shoot as many as you can. The Gun Gods will help you find the Perfect gun made especially for you. They helped me find mine.
Old February 16, 2019, 04:54 PM   #10
Dan-O

Another vote for the pps m2. They seem to be dropping in price. I paid $300 out the door a few months ago.
Old February 16, 2019, 06:35 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbclarkson View Post
I'm looking for a new concealed carry pistol. I have a Bersa BP9cc and a Ruger LCR .38 and like neither. The Bersa has been back and forth to the warranty center 3 times and I don't trust it. It is also a complete pain in the ___ to take apart to clean. Love the size and trigger, though. I am becoming a recoil sissy as I get older and the LCR is too unpleasant to shoot so I don't practice with it.

Here is what I am finding on the interwebs and considering as options:

Ruger LC9s
Glock 43x
Springfield XDs
Walther CCP M2
Sig P365
Kel Tec PF9
S&W Shield

I prefer striker fired. I like lighter triggers or triggers easily modified by a quality gunsmith. I have small hands so I need a thin(ner) grip. I would prefer a barrel length closer to 3.5" than 3". I need to stay under $500 and I think all of the above are. I also have a Springfield Xdm 9mm now and I love the pistol but recent financial changes are pushing me to condense the contents in my safe to a single pistol that accommodates as many situations as possible (CCW, nightstand, console, IDPA). I have a lot of 9mm ammo so I don't want to change calibers.

What are you experiences with the pistols listed above in comparison to each other and with consideration of my needs and preferences? Are there others I have neglected to look up?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to replies.
I have direct expeience with 2 out of your list.

The Kel Tec PF9 was fun to shoot, until it went in to Kel Tec to fix a light strike problem. It came back with many new parts, and was noticably harsher to shoot. Not fun anymore. I sold it off and replaced it with.....

A Springfield XDS in 9mm. This has been dead on reliable. But, I find it hard to shoot well. I suspect this is partly due to the thinness of the grip. You must be very mindful of details of grip and form, and trigger handling. This is the original, not the new "Mod. 2" version. I've made no modifications, other than adding a Talon ruberized grip wrap. Factory magazines are available up to 9 round capacity.

Quote:
I am becoming a recoil sissy as I get older and the LCR is too unpleasant to shoot so I don't practice with it.
Replace the grip? If it was me, I'd be trying one of the longer Hogue rubber grips, to spread the recoil over more area of your palm.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; February 16, 2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old February 16, 2019, 08:32 PM   #12
2wheelwander

Of you list, I'd go with the XD series without question.

I know you said striker fired, but don't count out a RAMI with a decocker. It would be a tad over your $500 limit though. Great gun.
Old February 17, 2019, 01:48 AM   #13
chris in va

Highly satisfied with my P365. Grip has a bit of fullness, then tapers down to the thin slide. Recoil is surprisingly manageable. Comes with night sights.

The Shield EZ is a really cool one too, very pleasant to operate and shoot. Hardly any muzzle flip. Not fully sold on .380 but I can see this pistol being super popular with people that normally gravitate to revolvers.
Old February 17, 2019, 06:54 AM   #14
Spats McGee
Staff

Out of your list, the only two with which I have any experience are the Shield and the XD-s. I got the Shield and have never once regretted the decision. Given all of your considerations (jack-of-all-trades gun, preferably 9mm, budget), a Shield is going to be hard to beat.

I think the only real question about the Shield will be recoil. It's not bad in a Shield, but obviously it recoils a little more than larger, heavier pistols. I don't have a Kahr, but that's the company that comes to mind for something in all-steel, but compact enough to fit your needs.

How comfortable are you buying used? That should shave a few bucks off the purchase, if you can be patient for a deal.
Old February 17, 2019, 07:30 AM   #15
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBerg View Post
You should seriously consider the Walther PPS-M2, I’m seeing deals way under $300, which is a lot less than what I paid for mine about 3 yrs. ago. I would also pick up a few of the 8 round accessory magazines, I carry mine with the 6 rd. mag, and the 8 rounders work great as carry spares and for the range. You really can’t beat this one as a great carry gun that shoots very reliably & accurately.
Another vote for the PPS M2, especially at today's prices. Trigger is good for a gun in this category (really, you won't find any of these guns knocking your socks off, but then they aren't finely tuned competition machines!). I carry AIWB and with a good, purpose-built holster can conceal the 8 round mags with no problem, under almost anything. Aftermarket options are decent and you can get good sights for it. I carried the PPS M2 with an XS Big Dot sight, and later added a Crimson Trace green laserguard. Worked out great.

Now I have the PPS M2 RMS-C because I suckered myself into getting the red dot sight I'm a huge red dot nerd. Do I need a red dot on a carry gun? No. Are they super cool? Yes!

I'm selling off the PPS M2 with the laser sight if you know anyone looking to buy something...

To your other points above -- it is an all-around item for me. Stays locked up near the bed. It's a carry, house and even competition gun (IDPA style -- you get good at mag changes when forced!). A CZ P-07 was my EDC for a while but man that sucker got heavy.
Old February 17, 2019, 08:32 AM   #16
Rockhanger

Take alook at a Kimber Micro9.
Old February 18, 2019, 12:25 PM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm or Glock 43.
Old February 18, 2019, 01:51 PM   #18
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
Walther PPS M2.

You're welcome.
I saw these online for $259 recently!

If I hadn't just bought a Shield to replace one that I had to sell a while back, I would be really tempted to pick one of these up.

I may anyway if the prices stay low long enough for me to save up more gun money.

Last edited by O4L; February 18, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Old February 18, 2019, 01:58 PM   #19
IdaD

I like my 9 Shield even though there are newer options on the market now. You can find the original version for $250 some places, throw some Talon Grips on it and you are GTG. I carry it 7+1 and use the 8 round mag as a spare. It doesn't have P365 capacity but 16 rounds of 9mm isn't too shabby and mine has been absolutely dead reliable.
Old February 18, 2019, 04:29 PM   #20
stinkeypete

All fine choices in my opinion. Now keep your eyes open for any of them on your list that some fella wants to sell used at his loss in the next few months.

You post implies you have a pistolsmith near at hand. Let him know you are in the market and will be sending work his way. He might know a guy that wants to sell.
Old February 19, 2019, 04:02 PM   #21
chemcal

have you tried a PPQ?
Old February 20, 2019, 09:28 PM   #22
tallball

I like my Glock 43 best of the ones I've owned or shot.

The Taurus G2 came in second, though its trigger is kind of weird.

I didn't like the LC9 or the Kel-Tec.

It seems like there might be another one or two that I'm forgetting about...
Old February 20, 2019, 09:37 PM   #23
Mackie244Bud

+ 1 for the P365..
Rent it and give it a Shot....Ahh Get it ...Give it a Shot....I just saw that!