The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2019, 06:21 PM   #1
HiBC

Another LEO RIP Via ND

Sad tragedy.

Two male on duty officers go to the residence of one of the officers.

Its about 1 AM. They ask an off duty female officer to join them.

By way of "gun mishandling" on the part of one male officer,the female officer is fatally shot in the chest.

Location is St Louis

I'm going to keep my speculation in check. I'd appreciate updates as the investigation proceeds.

This coulld be just stupid or really ugly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st...D=ansmsnnews11
Old January 24, 2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
This coulld be just stupid or really ugly.
Quoted for truth.

She was married ...
Old January 24, 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
TXAZ

“Mishandled” ???
I’m not buying that word as a descriptor. Hoping for “stupid” and not ugly or malicious.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 24, 2019, 08:53 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Quote:
Its about 1 AM. They ask an off duty female officer to join them
Nothing good will come out of this.
Old January 24, 2019, 10:38 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Nothing good will come out of this.
Being retired L.E. I fully agree with you.
Old January 24, 2019, 10:47 PM   #6
5whiskey

As current LEO... something about this stinks. Cops screwing off in the graveyard shift is nothing new. But meeting women at 1am and for some God awful reason handling firearms? Something definitely stinks.

EDIT:
Read the article, they all had 2 years or less on the force. I guess if they didn't grow up in firearm enthusiast households, guns may be kind of newish to them in their new profession and someone was proudly showing off an off-duty piece when he screwed up big time. So this might not be as nefarious as it initially sounds. MIGHT. Still kind of stinks. And still stinks that 2 on-duty officers were chilling at the crib at 1am and called over an off-duty female officer who was married. Not good at all.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Last edited by 5whiskey; January 24, 2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old January 25, 2019, 08:08 AM   #7
Doyle

Yea, there is definitely some more to the story. As to screwing off on the graveyard shift, some of my earliest memories are of riding around in my Grandfather's squad car. At that time, he was a Captain and he would let me ride around with him at night looking to make sure his officers were actually patrolling and not screwing off. This was a small town (probably 20,000 people at that time) so there wasn't a lot of places for them to hide. He would blow his stack when he found 2 of is officers parked side-by-side behind some business talking to each other rather than patrolling.
Old January 25, 2019, 02:20 PM   #8
DaleA

A bit off topic....
Cops on and off the job were a topic near and dear to the author Joseph Wambaugh. Wambaugh was a police officer before becoming a writer. One particular book of his "The Choirboys" deals heavily with cops and their after hours activities. IMhO all his books were worth reading.

https://www.amazon.com/Choirboys-Nov...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old January 25, 2019, 02:29 PM   #9
reynolds357

Quote:
Yea, there is definitely some more to the story. As to screwing off on the graveyard shift, some of my earliest memories are of riding around in my Grandfather's squad car. At that time, he was a Captain and he would let me ride around with him at night looking to make sure his officers were actually patrolling and not screwing off. This was a small town (probably 20,000 people at that time) so there wasn't a lot of places for them to hide. He would blow his stack when he found 2 of is officers parked side-by-side behind some business talking to each other rather than patroling.
A lot of old school supervisors were like that. It was and still is a poor way to manage a department. One of my best officers wasted more time than I could imagine. He came to work, drank coffee for an hour, took lunch for an hour, and sat in the squad room for an hour before time to go home. He straight up obviously wasted 3 hours of an 8 hour shift. I never fussed at him about it because: 1. He had more arrests than anyone else on shift. 2. He wrote more tickets than anyone else on shift. 3. He answered more calls than anyone else on shift. 4. His paperwork was always in order. 5. He had a high conviction rate.
The Chief chewed him out one time about wasting time. For about 2 months straight the officer put 350 miles a night on his car and did NOTHING meaningful. I finally told him, "Don't pay the Cief any attention, he jumped your tail because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The mayor had just cussed him out about a wreck, and you were the first one he ran into." Business as usual resumed.
It's what you do, not how busy you look doing it, that matters. My dead beat officers always looked the busiest. You can look real busy while doing nothing.

Last edited by reynolds357; January 25, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old January 25, 2019, 03:17 PM   #10
HiBC

There are at least two ways to come up with an answer.
I have never been an LEO. I was a Moldmaker. I designed and built plastic injection molds.
One method is to immediately start sawing steel and making chips.It looks good to the boss. The answers are pushed and squeezed out.Work harder,work faster!! OOPS!! Its got a problem! Start over.

Another way is to study.Know what you are trying to achieve and what you have. Then wipe the chalkboard in your mind clean.Get a cup of coffee.Put your feet up on the bench if you want.Clear your mind of noise.
Let your mind run free in the background.
Let the elegant solutions come to you.Don't talk,LISTEN. Watch images form on the backs of your eyelids.

That's where I find answers to riddles.Thats where I find elegance in design.

I let it come to me.

I suspect that's where the officer you describe was going.
Old January 25, 2019, 04:07 PM   #11
ThomasT

Quote:
A bit off topic....
Cops on and off the job were a topic near and dear to the author Joseph Wambaugh. Wambaugh was a police officer before becoming a writer. One particular book of his "The Choirboys" deals heavily with cops and their after hours activities. IMhO all his books were worth reading.
Yes they are. And very funny too. Almost makes you want to be a cop. Lines And Shadows was probably my favorite book followed by the Choirboys.
Old January 26, 2019, 10:28 AM   #12
thallub

They were playing Russian roulette and the lady lost. The shooter is charged with manslaughter.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/st-...&OCID=AVRES000

Idiots, all three.
Old January 26, 2019, 10:31 AM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Let's wait till we get a fully investigated report. Otherwise, our opinions aren't really worth much.

We can reopen, if and when that happens.