The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2018, 08:19 AM   #51
Blade37db

I'm a sucker for fixed sight, stainless S&Ws in .357, 4 inches and under.
One of my first guns was a 3" Model 64 which I foolishly traded about 12 years ago. My current stable is:

Model 65 3"
Model 65 Lady Smith 3"
Model 681 4"

I slightly deviated a few weeks ago when I came across a really nice blued Ruger Speed Six (.357) 2 3/4 barrel for a good price. Feels great in the hand and has a nice trigger but it is slightly redundant to my 2 Model 65s and I have a tough time with the dark front sight. Debating on whether or not to keep it.

If I find a good deal on a 3" 64 locally, I might grab one again.
Old July 6, 2018, 04:14 PM   #52
Nathan

Saw a pre K22 at the local shop in pretty good condition the other day for $595.....I had to say no for budget reasons, but it hurt!
Old July 7, 2018, 06:32 PM   #53
mellow_c

Sorry to hear that Nathan

Blade,

I've always been interested in the speed six and security six. How is the double action and single action trigger pulls on yours compared to any of your smiths?
Old July 8, 2018, 09:00 AM   #54
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
I'm not interested in the older models. I don't object to pinned and recessed but it's not necessary to me, and I don't place a higher value on them. Most collectors do, but I'm not one. I leave the pre-model number guns to the collectors. I'm a shooter.
What makes you think that collectors cannot also be shooters?
Old July 8, 2018, 11:16 AM   #55
Real Gun

I have experienced a wide array of S&W revolvers of modern vintage and the ones that stuck are my 19-4 P&R 4" and 36-1 Chief's Special 3", both nickel-plated, prelock, pinned barrel. I also have a 625 PC, which is the one that I score best with at 50 feet. There are a few others, but these are my favorites. I don't use any pocket guns except my go bag bug is a 637 Wyatt Deep Cover DAO that I will keep, although my best snub is the heavier DA Interarms Rossi 88 with a nice action job.
Old July 8, 2018, 01:45 PM   #56
JERRYS.

I have a few revolvers, and I've found myself liking the old I and J frame .32 Long the best.
Old July 8, 2018, 06:30 PM   #57
pete2

I'm not a collector but I shoot a 15, couple 19s, 17, 586, and a 28. I would like to have a 27 and a 29. I have a 686, couple 642s and a 625JM but they aren't in the same class as the older guns. Shame...........................................
Old July 8, 2018, 11:31 PM   #58
mellow_c

Real Gun,

I'm curious,would you mind telling me why the 19-4 and 36-1 are your favorites? I've had some experience with a model 19-4 and I'm a big fan. Great double and single action trigger, I loved the target grips and great sights. I've been eyeing some model 36's and would like to know how they compair in trigger feel to the 19.
Old July 9, 2018, 02:05 PM   #59
dgludwig

In my experience, J-frame and K-frame Smiths have very different da trigger pulls and, imo, the ones on the K-frame are much better (smoother, lighter and zero "stacking").
Old July 10, 2018, 02:52 AM   #60
mellow_c

Thanks dgludwig,

I appreciate the explanation.
Old July 10, 2018, 03:10 AM   #61
mellow_c

Gotta say, this is a great link to explain all the different frames and models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson

Nice to be able to reference all this when trying to decide what model one might be interested in.

…….

Unfortunately. . . I'm really interested in a model 25 now, and they aren't exactly inexpensive. Looks like they use the N frame so it would be the same frame as the big old model 29. Are the N frames as nice as the K frames regarding trigger pull?

The fact that dgludwig is saying that the K frames are nicer than the J frames makes me want to reconsider the model 36 in favor of a model 10 for a nice 38 special snub nose if I ever decide to get one. Am I correct in my thinking here assuming the trigger pull would be nicer on a model 10 than a 36?
Old July 11, 2018, 05:49 PM   #62
dgludwig

Quote:
Are the N frames as nice as the K frames regarding trigger pull?

The fact that dgludwig is saying that the K frames are nicer than the J frames makes me want to reconsider the model 36 in favor of a model 10 for a nice 38 special snub nose if I ever decide to get one. Am I correct in my thinking here assuming the trigger pull would be nicer on a model 10 than a 36?
Aside from the weight of the pull, opinions about trigger pulls are mostly subjective in nature. It's my opinion, based on my experience, that da trigger pulls on most J-frame Smith & Wesson revolvers are not as nice as the da pulls found on most K, L and N frame Smiths and that the da pulls on N-frames are as good as the ones on K-frames.
As opined, I think trigger pulls on Model 10s (K-frames) are nicer than the ones on Model 36s (J-frames). I would suggest too that if you're in the market for a Model 10 snub-nose revolver for concealed carry, it might be worth your while to chase down a Model 12 S&W; a light-weight K-frame.
Old July 11, 2018, 06:34 PM   #63
Blade37db

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellow_c View Post
Sorry to hear that Nathan

Blade,

I've always been interested in the speed six and security six. How is the double action and single action trigger pulls on yours compared to any of your smiths?
mellow c - sorry for the delayed response. I found the trigger on the Speed Six (1984 vintage which I have since parted with) to be as good as my pre-lock K & L frames. If I didn't have the 2 3" 65s and the 681, I would have kept it.

Last edited by Blade37db; July 11, 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:03 AM   #64
Real Gun

Quote:
Real Gun,

I'm curious,would you mind telling me why the 19-4 and 36-1 are your favorites? I've had some experience with a model 19-4 and I'm a big fan. Great double and single action trigger, I loved the target grips and great sights. I've been eyeing some model 36's and would like to know how they compair in trigger feel to the 19.

I don't worry much about triggers, since I rarely shoot double action and because most of my shooting is with Rugers, the trigger pull never the stuff of dreams. I just learn to shoot the gun as best I can. I do like sweet triggers though, like anyone else, and score best with something light and crisp, the best of which is my S&W 625 PC with some action work and the Uberti 1875 Remington clone in 44-40, completely stock.

I like the 36-1 because of the 3" barrel and because it just feels like a precise machine. Love the nickel plating too, same as the 19-4. I have smallish hands, so favor something without too hefty a grip.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:32 AM   #65
highpower3006

Quote:
Saw a pre K22 at the local shop in pretty good condition the other day for $595.....I had to say no for budget reasons, but it hurt!
Are you talking about a K22 first model, known as a K22 Outdoorsman? If so, it is worth quite a bit north of $595. Or do you mean a pre model numbered K22 Masterpiece? Typically the difference is going to be that the post war guns had a heavier barrel. Still, a K22 made before the numbering system started in 1957 when they became the Model 14, would be worth more than six bills. Of course one that is beat up or rusted would be worth less.

I don't have any pre war K22 Outdoorsmans, but here are a couple of my post war K22's both made in 1948 along with the original box, sight adjusting tool and paperwork that came with the one in the front.