The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 6, 2018, 10:03 AM   #1
gandog56

Scratched That Itch

Dang bug bit me in the butt and made me get a new gun itch. I always wanted to get a revolver in 10mm. So I went to see what Ruger had offerengs of. They had three, a GP100, a Super Redhawk, and a Superblackhawk in 10mm. I didn't want a single action so the superblackhawk was out. Comparing the Super Redhawk and the GP100, I noticed the Superredhawk had a barrel a bit longer, and it came with a scope mount and screws in the box. So I went with the Redhawk. Got me a 2X7 variable pistol scope with a matching finish, and a total of 12 moon clips.

SO I took it out to the range and set up a target at fifty yards, and these were the very first six shots I took with the gun. Heck, I didn't even sight the scope in yet, the VERY first six shots. (Flyer was definitely MY fault) I think I may have a keeper here. As a side note, I was shooting MY 10mm reloads with 180 grain projectiles and Blue Dot powder.

Old July 6, 2018, 10:24 AM   #2
2damnold4this

Nice!
Old July 6, 2018, 11:15 AM   #3
CarJunkieLS1

That's at 50 yards? That's a nice shooting pistol definitely got a keeper there.
Old July 6, 2018, 02:17 PM   #4
TailGator

From the title, I was going to suggest cortisone cream, but your solution is much better! Enjoy. Heck, looks like you already are.
Old July 6, 2018, 03:42 PM   #5
ThomasT

Did you try shooting it without the scope? Scoped handguns never really interested me personally.
Old July 6, 2018, 06:03 PM   #6
dgludwig

Quote:
Scoped handguns never really interested me personally.
Same here, except maybe on single-shot pistols like the TC Contender intended for hunting. Pretty sure we are in an ever-shrinking minority of likeminded people though...
Old July 8, 2018, 03:58 PM   #7
WV_gunner

Wasn’t aware of the 10mm GP100, decided to look st their site and I’m surprised they offer a .44 Special as well.
Old July 9, 2018, 09:42 AM   #8
rclark

Nice. Enjoy.

Quote:
I’m surprised they offer a .44 Special as well.
Yes I have one of the Talo GP-100 .44 Specials the ~3in barrel. Nice ... for a DA that is. Plan on using is where I want/need to CC is reason I got it. More robust than the CA Bulldog that I have. Otherwise, the o' Single Action will go with me into the field.

As for scopes, never turned my crank on a handgun or lever action long gun, but each to their own .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:25 AM   #9
robert1804

I bought one, too. Also got a scope for longer range shooting but I leave it off for shorter range off hand shooting. The best groups I can get so far is 3 3/4" at 100 yards, rested. I'm working up loads still and think it can do better.

I'm impressed with the quality. The chambers are glassy-smooth and the throats correctly sized and uniform. The forcing cone and rifling are flawless. The b/c gap is even at .004". Lead bullet loads aren't leading the cone or bore.

I've noticed the POI inside of 25 yards doesn't change much with different loads. As an avid reloader, this saves lots of sight adjustment time. I like 10mm, it's a real reloaders cartridge! I'm glad Ruger uses the chamber for headspacing so I can skip the moon clips if I want to.