The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2018, 05:16 PM   #1
ninosdemente

Osprey Scopes

So I went to a gun show today here in Northwest Indiana and came across this company who make optics. I have seen these guys on different gun shows, but today I actually talked to one of them and looked at their scopes.

Does anyone have any experience/thoughts/dislikes on this company? They gave me a whole sales pitch.... blah blah blah.

I started looking them up out of curiosity, reviews, etc.
Old June 30, 2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Pahoo

Good enough

Know that this is just my opinion and we all know about opinions, in general.
They are on the lower end of the scale and some of their new stuff is better than their old. It kind of depends what you expectations are. …..

Recently read where today's lower end scopes are better that yesterdays, more expensive scopes. There are some really good optics, coming out of China. ..

Be Safe !!!
Old July 1, 2018, 03:06 PM   #3
RC20

Quote:
Recently read where today's lower end scopes are better that yesterdays, more expensive scopes. There are some really good optics, coming out of China. .
Japan yes. China??????

If its a US or Other Western European, Australia, NZ even Japan company that owns a factory then maybe.

If its just China in general I havn't seen anything that is other than cheap.

Cheap can work in the right application.

Kind of Like Korean sinker nails, we would dig through the store stock to get US Steel,.

You would think a sinker nail is a sinker nail. Koreans bent, US Steel did not. Same price at the time at the Lumber Yard. Says a lot about where the money goes and what quality you get.

Ok, rant over.

'
Quote:
Fundamental truths' are easy to recognize because they are verified daily through simple observation and thus, require no testing.
That says a great deal.
Old July 1, 2018, 04:52 PM   #4
jmr40

With most any product price is usually a reflection of quality. Sometimes you find a $200 product that is somewhat better than a $250 item, but as a rule price is a pretty good guide. And optics is one of those things where that guideline is pretty accurate.

I don't care where it is made a price point of about $200 is where decent quality starts. I'm talking MSRP, if you can find a $200 scope discounted for $150 great. But generally speaking anything much under $200 isn't a bargain in the long run.

But that doesn't mean a $400 scope is twice as good as a $200 scope. As price goes up you see big price increases for smaller and smaller gains in performance. $200-$300 will buy you a decent scope. $400-$500 will get you a very good scope. Above $500 and you'll probably have to go over $1000 just to see a small improvement over a $500 scope.

Winston Churchill
Old July 2, 2018, 09:42 PM   #5
xandi

Really, at 11am in the sun at the range any(most) scopes can work good enough
It’s when it’s not full sun, that the differences can be seen, like clarity, resolution, and field of view
Depends on the use, hard to justify a Leica, Zeus, or the like on a 50 meter range