The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Most qauilty brand for the price.
Bushmaster 3 7.89%
Sig Sauer 5 13.16%
DPMS 1 2.63%
Adam Arms 0 0%
Windham Weaponry 8 21.05%
Delton 3 7.89%
S&W 11 28.95%
Rock River Arms 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16, 2018, 04:29 PM   #26
Dragline45

BCM or Daniel Defense. Personally I think BCM is the better bang for your buck and what I go for.
Old July 16, 2018, 05:40 PM   #27
PushPuller

I didn't put it in the poll because I had ruled them out as over budget, but does anybody have any bad experiences with Armalite? A couple family members have them and I don't know of ANY issues, but it hasn't been suggested yet and iv always been under the understanding they were Daniel Defense/Colt quality.

Secondly, has anybody had issues with the take down pins wearing or the receiver wearing? I absoluletly hate slop between the upper and lower receiver and one of my Del-Tons has gained some over the years which is actually why I'm looking to stay away from del-ton for now. Armalite used to sell oversized take down pins but 6 years later it seems as though they don't anymore.
Old July 16, 2018, 06:42 PM   #28
shaunpain

Aero is what you're looking for. If they build on their gen 2 lowers now, you can adjust the lower to upper fit by accessing the screw under the grip. I have been buying their parts for years and they are excellent.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old July 16, 2018, 08:02 PM   #29
SamNavy

"no frills but quality... range gun... $500-$750"

From your list, I think most people based on brand recognition will say that Sig and RRA are probably the two "best". And based on my very limited knowledge of the inner-workings of factory supplied parts, most from the name-brands that you've mentioned that are in your pricerange are all gonna be within a percent or two identical, many likely to have major parts outsourced to the same mega-supplier but assembled in-house. IOW, any "standard" A2 configured AR15 from any of those companies are going to be nearly identical. Cover up the roll-stamp on the lower and pass them around... you'll find miniscule differences in coatings and perhaps a different style of castle-nut staking or whatever.

Having assembled about 20 modest AR's (no Larue or Barret or LWRC), I will echo PSA and Aero.

If you want the super easy answer, just add a $39 stripped safe/fire lower to this kit, and be done with it... other than putting together parts piecemeal during sales from multiple manufacturers over a long period of time, I honestly don't know how you get more gun for your money than this.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446780.html

The only thing I wish PSA would do is to add upgrade dropdowns to some of their kits. I'd love to upgrade the BCG to in that kit to NibX (for another $40, for example).

You can go cheaper, but I think that kit leaves nothing to want for the price. Upgraded trigger and furniture, a solid rail, MBUS sights, and a midlength nitride barrel... with enough money left over after the lower for a nice PA/Holosun/Vortex red-dot, some extra mags, and a couple hundred rounds of ammo... all in your $750 pricerange.
Old July 16, 2018, 10:39 PM   #30
riffraff

Aero is good stuff, that'd be my vote.
Old July 17, 2018, 10:43 AM   #31
lordmorgul

Recommended AR15 manufacturers

If you start with AR Stoner, PSA, Delton, etc you’ll have a fine starter rifle but will want to replace it to start making it a great shooter if you decide to later...

If you start with BCM, DD, AP, etc you’ll be fine incrementally upgrading to a fantastic shooter for high power matches or anything else.

Recommend just above basic. Cry once.

(I favor Aero Precision as an owner)

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 17, 2018, 01:28 PM   #32
laytonj1

Colt. But since it’s not on the list, Windham would be my choice.

Jim
Old July 18, 2018, 04:32 AM   #33
JJ45

Good post...SamNavy, what lower would you recommend and anything else to stay within the OPs parameters....Thanks
Old July 18, 2018, 09:33 AM   #34
craddleshooter

Sounds like you want the ColtM4A1. I'm not entirely up to date on prices, but I think you can find one for around the same price of the A4. Also, a laser is not nearly as useful as you think, unless it's an IR laser and you are in a squad outfitted with night vision.

There are several brands that make reliable rifles, and on this platform that is key. You're going to get the same end result whether you buy a BCM, Colt, Spikes, DD or other reputable rifle made with mil-spec parts. A lot of people rush to put a free float rail, change furniture, add gizmos, gizmos, but most people would be best served by shooting their rifles the way they come from the factory for a bit.
Old July 18, 2018, 01:50 PM   #35
PlatinumCore16

My preference would be a mfg you don't have on that list: Stag Arms. Great fit/finish, great quality, great price.
Old July 18, 2018, 04:07 PM   #36
bfoosh006

PSA , Palmetto State Armory... if you wanted a VERY long life barrel , buy one of the chrome lined , cold hammer forged ones.