The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 25, 2009, 02:46 PM   #101
Glenn E. Meyer

I've been a touch to zealous. My position is clear so I shall retire from the field and watch.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:01 PM   #102
bababooey32

Quote:
My reasonable may be your unreasonable and vice-versa.
Doc,

Your unwillingness/inability to articulate and defend your position should tell you how unreasonable it truly is.

Reasonable rules are easy to defend. You have yet to do that. You have yet to say what your concern is in having someone safely and discreetly carry a firearm in your home. If you can't even answer that question, reasonableness has left the building.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:03 PM   #103
bababooey32

Quote:
But if I don't trust their judgment, why would I want them armed?
I asked Starngeglove this, and now I'll ask you: Do you have a list of items you don't allow in your home? You said you don't want armed people in your home. Is your definition of "armed" limited to firearms? If so, why?
Old August 25, 2009, 03:10 PM   #104
Daugherty16

I assume we are talking about properly licensed CCW

Kayla, i am presuming that the people in your life who carry concealed have gone through the legal process of being declared "fit" for carrying a weapon by the state? (having to be declared "fit" is another topic altogether). If not, they are committing a crime (in all but about 2 states, i think) and i don't want them carrying anywhere until they are legal. It places all of our carry rights in jeopardy every time someone carries illegally.

Like most of the others here, the folks i let in my home are already "vetted" or they wouldn't come through the door. Many of them carry, or at least hunt and shoot with me. If they choose to carry when they come over, GOOD. That makes it 2 guns against the BG if the SHTF, and absolutely no problem if it doesn't. Strangers simply do not come into my house, nor do people i don't trust. But do i care that the guy next to me at Walmart is carrying too? Not if he's legal. My experience is that sloppy carry is a trademark of illegal carry - obviously not always, but usually - and not one of my friends is sloppy with a firearm. I simply can't associate with someone whose carelessness could cost my life. I won't hunt with them, shoot with them, or invite them to my home. Also in my experience, legal CCW holders are the most responsible and law abiding folks around. Everyone? no, but most.

Kayla, i believe as strongly as you do in the right to set the rules in your own home. If those are truly your feelings, then lay down the law. But from some of what you've said, I wonder if your concerns are really more about a particular person being in your home and less about concealed carry in general. It sounds like you support CCW, which is good. If this is true, maybe it's just that particular person you should disinvite? Just a thought. Pax does make an awful lot of sense.

Though, i disagree about the King James thing. His deal was oppression and subjugation and taxation, not about control. He knew the quickest way to subjugate a people was to take away all their weapons. It had been done in Europe to the peasants for centuries before they came to the colonies.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:25 PM   #105
Dr. Strangelove

Tailgator

Shame on you. Next time you and the wife come over for a barbecue, it's clothes left at the door. In fact, that's my new policy. Everyone is naked all the time at my house! (Disclaimer: Tailgator has never been to my home. He is certainly welcome.)

I do have reasons for my opinion, it's nothing to do with seducing my pets or annoying my wife. We can trade reasons for and against back and forth all day, but in the end, it's my home. I understand the strong feelings of the folks think that my view is wrong, I really do. Just understand that other points of view exist, and each person decides how they wish to live.
Old August 25, 2009, 03:43 PM   #106
TailGator

LOL. Seeing me in my birthday suit would doubtlessly make you reconsider your policy.

The point I am making is that I could come to your house and not know that I was violating your rule of no guns in the house, and you wouldn't know, either, unless you bring it up. I do not feel obligated - and you should probably assume that other holders of concealed (such an important word!) weapons permits feel similarly - to disclose, unprompted, my carry status. If you feel strongly that there should be no guns in your house, it is attendant upon you to make that clear in advance so that I can choose whether to accept the conditions of your invitation or not. As I said earlier, I have never received an invitation, written or oral, that included either "guns permitted" or "guns not permitted," so I have to make my own assumptions that what is safe and legal is permissible if not expressly prohibited.

And Dr. Strangelove, thanks for the welcome - I am certain we would have a fun time razzing each other about everything we could think of. Starting with your screen name. ;-)
Old August 25, 2009, 03:53 PM   #107
QBall45

This whole thread has me laughing my back side off!

At first I wanted to post a comment then changed my mind. Then decided to post after all.

It appears as if we have some posters that should choose differant friends. Maybe even change living arangements. Ones personal safety is paramount. This however, changes nothing in they manor in which ones true friends conduct their lives. If they carry a weapon great if they choose to live amongst the sheep so be it. Us sheep dogs will do our best to keep the wolfs at bay.
Attached Images
File Type: gif anim_rofl2.gif (1,010 Bytes, 31 views)
Old August 25, 2009, 04:00 PM   #108
Sefner

First, thanks for all the discussion on the thread! I still haven't read the last couple pages (in the hospital right now and can only stare at my phone for so long).

Second, my Obama bumpersticker comment was made in jest, as is evident by the sentence after it :P.

This is a good convo and is a very good display of how even amongst us gun-toting maniacs positions on things can differ. keep it up!
Old August 25, 2009, 04:13 PM   #109
bababooey32

Quote:
In fact, that's my new policy. Everyone is naked all the time at my house!
That solves one problem, but may create others!!! or :barf:
Old August 25, 2009, 04:26 PM   #110
BillJunior

Here in SC we don't have a choice :

SECTION 23-31-225. Carrying concealed weapons into residences or dwellings.

No person who holds a permit issued pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23 may carry a concealable weapon into the residence or dwelling place of another person without the express permission of the owner or person in legal control or possession, as appropriate. A person who violates this provision is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than one year, or both, at the discretion of the court and have his permit revoked for five years.
Old August 25, 2009, 05:33 PM   #111
TailGator

To Doc Strangelove again,

Since you are so game for this (and isn't the lack of rancor refreshing, folks?):

Now that you know that I pretty much always carry, how would you feel about accepting an invitation to my house for the cookout?

I'll not ambush you again; it is a loaded question. If you say yes, I have to ask you why you consider your pal TailGator to be safer and less offensive armed at his house than armed at your house. If you say no, then are you saying that you choose not to associate with people who exercise their 2A rights? Then you have to ask yourself if you really support it in your deepest heart.

You should also know that I will require you to remain fully clothed. But I will not ask about your carry status as long as you stay sober.

Last edited by TailGator; August 25, 2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Removed a sentence that I considered too harsh.
Old August 25, 2009, 06:15 PM   #112
Dr. Strangelove

Tailgator: Ohhh a good one indeed!

I'd love to come down for the cookout! I won't be bringing a gun, but I'd tell you if I did...

Quote:
You should also know that I will require you to remain fully clothed.
Hey, your house, your rules.

Everyone read my posts carefully, it's never been about safety or guns being scary, it's been about someone bringing guns into my home without my knowledge. When invited to someone else's home, it's not my business if they choose to have weapons piled up in every corner. Their house, their rules.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:34 PM   #113
Beentown71

Change of mind...

I want to thank all of you for the discussion. I "feel" (:barf: there goes that word again) different about the situation now. If someone were to carry into my home and I not know I think I would be cool with it now. The only time things would change is if they started to carry it irresponsibly. Drinking, showing it off, heck even talking about it and they are out the door. I can't control the general public so if they are carrying responsibly then so be it.

The sticking point for me was...example time:

My wifes brother would be eligible for a CCW if he chose so. I would not want him to carry in my home. I rarely let him in but he is family. I think I would just handle it differently now.

Glenn,

I do have some my cave, my cave in me Strangely, well not so strangely I am not that way in public surroundings.

Thanks again,

Beentown

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old August 25, 2009, 09:58 PM   #114
jgcoastie

Quote:
I don't recall any state that requires explict permission to enter a home based on concealed carry status.
Alaska.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:03 PM   #115
Rescue2

Conceal quietly, leave it in the car, or just open carry???

Interesting discussion on carrying in other people’s homes…

At my house, I would presume that those friends of mine who had completed (and passed) the required training, and were thus qualified to carry concealed, would be welcome to do so if they felt that they were in such danger to warrant such behavior (for lack of a better word…)

That being said, we have friends (very close friends for the past 30+ years) who are not necessarily “Pro” nor “Anti”, yet their lifestyle is a bit more, um, “liberal” that ours.

There are guns in the house, but not of the “carrying” kind…

They had lived in an area of town that was less than “ideal” for almost twenty years, and subsequently had a number of neighbors whose involvement in gang related activities were fairly strong.

Which brings to current day events…

Our friends have since moved to a slightly less gang infested area (not quite the barrio they were in before, but close) and throw a couple of “family” parties per year, to which we are invited.

The guest list usually includes a bunch of their (and their children’s) long ago acquaintances from the old neighborhood, plus some “new” friends that have similar social tendencies (tats, colors, etc.)

During the last fete, there was the distinct sound of gunfire in the nearby area just after dark (reports, but no localized sounds of projectiles overhead), and we (my wife and I) were pretty uncomfortable with the knowledge that we would be leaving through what is for all intents and purposes “Gangland on a Saturday Night”.

Consider also that some of the guests were well outside of their normal “turf”, and thus potential targets of rival gangs, even though they are simply visiting folks who carry no particular affiliation.

Now, do we personally carry concealed at their home during these parties, if only to level a portion of the “playing field”, yet not inform them?

Or do we leave our weapons locked in our vehicle, which is a potential target of theft given the neighborhood they live in?

Or do we conceal and advise the host that we are concerned for our safety, thus remaining armed and able to defend ourselves, should the situation arise that defense is necessary??

Or do we open carry, and worry the shi t out of the bangers in attendance (or for that matter potentially induce a confrontation)??

I’m going for carrying concealed unannounced…
Old August 26, 2009, 07:46 AM   #116
TailGator

Since South Carolina and Alaska both require express permission to enter a home with a concealed weapon, and at least SC and presumably Alaska also prescribe criminal penalties for doing so, do you guys consider getting it in writing? Or do you just never do it? Anybody know if there are other states with similar provisions?
Old August 26, 2009, 09:48 AM   #117
jgcoastie

Quote:
and at least SC and presumably Alaska also prescribe criminal penalties for doing so,
AS 11.61.220. Misconduct Involving Weapons in the Fifth Degree.
(a) A person commits the crime of misconduct involving weapons in the fifth degree if the person

(1) is 21 years of age or older and knowingly possesses a deadly weapon, other than an ordinary pocket knife or a defensive weapon,

(A) that is concealed on the person, and, when contacted by a peace officer, the person fails to

(i) immediately inform the peace officer of that possession; or

(ii) allow the peace officer to secure the deadly weapon, or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, during the duration of the contact;

(B) that is concealed on the person within the residence of another person unless the person has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there to bring a concealed deadly weapon within the residence;

Most of my friends houses are on base which means I can't carry there anyway. Those who do not reside on base (I can thing of three off the top of my head) are very close friends who also carry and we have discussed carrying at length in the course of normal conversation at work. I have been to the range with all of them and permission has been granted for me to carry in their home with the obvious exception of consumption of alcoholic beverages. If I am carrying in their home and I really want a beer or any other alcoholic beverage, I go out to my truck, disassemble my Glock, lock the frame in the glove box, lock the slide/barrel in the center console, and turn over all magazines/ammo to my buddy for safe storage in their safe. I've got extra mags at home and they'll bring the ones I turned over to work on monday.

BTW: I think a lot of people are really overthinking this...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.

Last edited by jgcoastie; August 26, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:53 PM   #118
Robert Johnson

I agree with the guy who made post 107.

I learned this lesson young in life. I mentioned to an older, wiser, man that I was having all types of trouble with my democrat friend trying to convince him to vote Bush in 2000. This wise man replied "I do not have a democrat friend". Now I just work harder and live better having zero democrat friends to waste my time on. This method can work well for gun owners too. If they don't like guns, don't talk to them.
Old August 27, 2009, 07:08 AM   #119
Harleyfixer

Pretty much a non-issue at my house. I carry and so do most of my friends. I trust them and they trust me. Nuff said
Old August 27, 2009, 12:23 PM   #120
fprefect

Carry

Although I firmly believe an individual has the right to carry if no laws are being broken, I also believe Kayla makes some very important points. If you are bringing a deadly weapon onto another's property and into their home, they should be notified in advance and of course have the right to say no.

It then becomes your choice whether or not you wish to enter the person's home without your carry should they object. If you feel unsafe leaving your weapon locked in your car while visiting this person, you should probably stay home.

Not everyone is going to share your views on carrying a concealed weapon and for that matter in many situations your views may be in the minority, and you really have little choice but to accept that fact and respect the views of the homeowner your are visiting. By putting your right to carry above the values of a friendship, I would suggest you may need to take a serious look at your priorities.

F. Prefect

Last edited by fprefect; August 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old August 27, 2009, 04:14 PM   #121
markj

Quote:
Now I just work harder and live better having zero democrat friends to waste my time on. This method can work well for gun owners too. If they don't like guns, don't talk to them.
But what if the democrat loves guns?

I do not pick and choose this way for friends and am also old.

Everyone has something of value IMHO.
Old August 27, 2009, 06:34 PM   #122
Stevie-Ray

I've been on both sides; it seems to depend on how I "read" the person who invited me over. With some, I've carried and felt slightly uncomfortable, with some perfectly comfortable, with some I've left it locked up in the truck, all night, with some I've left it and been told to bring it in. A friend said, "YOU BROUGHT A GUN INTO MY HOUSE?" when the subject was brought up and the wife told her I carried. I said, "No, I left it in the truck." She told me she was only kidding and I was welcome to bring it in there anytime. Another asked to see my weapon as he was interested in getting one for himself and I had to retrieve it from the truck for that purpose, and was assured it was welcome inside, and leaving it was unecessary. My brother, for another example is married to somebody that would never let him own a gun. I've never carried into their home; it stays in the truck. No amount of explaining or teaching will suffice. She doesn't even seem all that anti, just anti in her house. For example, they will go out with us and she knows I am carrying, she knows it's in the truck with us and doesn't see a problem. They have always had kids and now grandkids, and I believe that's the main problem, though she hasn't been able to fully explain it. My brother's best friend is a pro-gunner though, and I'm hoping it will eventually change with his help. With all this talk about parties, I didn't see alcohol mentioned in the thread, either, but that should change things significantly. If there are going to be people drinking I would hope that none of them are carrying, because in my state, it's illegal, even more so than driving. In other words, when you might know that you've waited long enough to be able to drive legally, you're still not able to carry that gun. If I KNOW I'm going to be drinking at all, I don't carry. If anybody is carrying at a party where there is drinking going on, I hope at least it's the homeowner.
Old August 28, 2009, 08:26 AM   #123
bababooey32

Quote:
If you are bringing a deadly weapon onto another's property and into their home, they should be notified in advance and of course have the right to say no.
Pocket knives? Pen's and pencils? I doubt you ask to be notified of these items, yet they can kill you just as quickly and easily as a gun. I assume your kitchen knives het locked up when company arrives?

The problem here is that you and others are requiring that I declare my lawfully concealed firearm when entering your home, and then are hiding behind some idea of "safety" as the reason.

If "safety" were the concern, you would want to know about any potentially deadly weapon, and you'd keep your kitchen knives under lock and key. Since I assume you do neither, your argument is disingenuous.
Old August 28, 2009, 09:59 AM   #124
pax

Quote:
By putting your right to carry above the values of a friendship, I would suggest you may need to take a serious look at your priorities.
Don't be silly. In the case of someone who refuses to extend trust to the other, no friendship exists or can exist. The best that can happen is a sort of acquaintanceship, not a friendship.

I won't waste my emotional energy on mere acquaintances; I save it for true friends. If you choose to do otherwise, that's your right and privilege. But don't claim it's the "values of friendship" that cause you to jump through hoops for people who don't trust you.

pax
Old August 28, 2009, 10:09 AM   #125
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
In the case of someone who refuses to extend trust to the other, no friendship exists or can exist. The best that can happen is a sort of acquaintanceship, not a friendship.

I won't waste my emotional energy on mere acquaintances; I save it for true friends. If you choose to do otherwise, that's your right and privilege. But don't claim it's the "values of friendship" that cause you to jump through hoops for people who don't trust you.
Agree. Well put--I'll remember those words---may need to use them.
Closed Thread