The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 4, 2001, 06:21 PM   #1
zauer

Rem express upgrade kit

Hi All,

I purchased the Remington Express upgrade kit which includes a stainless full and improved cylinder. On the outside of the plastic box, it said (lead or steel) next to the full cylinder but nothing next to the imp cylinder. Can I asssume or does anyone know if I can definitely shoot steel, bismuth, and sabot slugs thru this Remington brand IC? Thanks for your help folks.

Joe
Old October 4, 2001, 07:00 PM   #2
S.F.S

Steel shot can be used in IC or modified without it saying so on the choke tubes. But in order to use it in a full choke tube its got to say "lead or steel".
Old October 4, 2001, 07:54 PM   #3
Guyon

I've wondered about this myself. In the full chokes rated for lead or steel, do they use a different kind of steel rated for higher pressures? I'm assuming that the choke's diameter is the same as that rated only for lead.
Old October 5, 2001, 05:20 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guyon,I suggest you do not assume anything. Among reputable choke makers, .003 variance between tubes marked identically is common. Full for lead or steel is alomst certainly more open than lead only Full.

A lot of choke markings are based on the maker's standard bore. If the bore is a true .729", the choke is a .714",we have 15 Points Of Constriction, which would qualify as a Modified or Light Mod choke to many people. But, if that bore runs tights, say .724 like Perazzis are, that choke is just 10 POC,and should throw IC patterns.

Also, remember that many tube makers have their own ideas of what constriction constitutes a given choke. One will say that 10 POC equals IC, one will say 6 POC does.

Since shotgunners are suckers for marketing, some makers have made tubes with only 4 POC difference, and market 10 tubes in a given gauge from True Cylinder to Super Full. Yup, some folks have them all.Beware the man with 10 choke tubes(G)...

We all have to remember that the markings may be in error, the only way to know what the patterns really are is to fire at a patterning target and see for ourselves. However, in a given gun, 15 POC will be tighter than 5 POC, we just don't know exactly how much until we shoot patterns.

Now that you're thoroughly confused, Joe, be comforted in that most shotgunners do quite well with the trinity of IC, Mod and Full. A skeet shooter or quail hunter may want a Skeet I tube, a turkey hunter may want a Turkey Full, but by and large most hunting and most shooting will be done well by those three tubes you have.

HTH....