The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 2, 2017, 04:44 PM   #1
9ballbilly

Richards microfit stocks?

Has anyone had experience with this company and products? Would you recommend them?

I'm interested in a laminated stock for my left-hand Ruger Hawkeye compact magnum and they are the only company I can find that makes them. Boyd's only makes a long-action version in left-hand.

Open to suggestions if anyone knows of other companies that might make a stock to fit my rifle.

Thanks
Old May 2, 2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Wyosmith

The Good;
Richards has an excellent line of stock styles and many many actions they inlet for. they offer a large selection of wood and laminates too. Their semi-inletting is quite good, but not "drop in". You need to finish the inletting yourself, or hire it out to a good smith, but it's fast and easy as a rule. I can put an action into one of their stocks in somewhere in-between 20 minutes and 90 minutes as a rule.

The bad;
Their line of guns inletted for is quite large, but not all-inclusive. And they inlet only for bolt actions and for Ruger 10-22s. no levers, no pumps, no single-shots, no-nothin....but bolt rifles and 10-22s.

The Ugly.
Getting them to answer the phone or correspond with you is about as easy as getting Obama to admit he was born in Kenya. Once you order and send in your payment you do nothing, and it may seem they do too.
But in the 4 decades they have sold me stocks, I have never been screwed by them, so you just have to bight the bullet and wait.
Old May 2, 2017, 10:11 PM   #3
Scorch

I use Richards Microfit stocks frequently. I do stock work and build rifles, so I buy a stock about once or twice a month, and Richards is one of my go-to sources for stock blanks. You generally get a nice piece of wood for a decent price. In 30ish years, I have only had a problem with a couple of stocks, and they took care of it right away. Call before 10 am PST if you want to get a hold of them by phone.
Old May 4, 2017, 09:46 PM   #4
Colorado Redneck

I have a couple of Richards stocks. Would have one more but the last one was inletted wrong. There was some bad wood. I took good puctures and emailed Helen and she responded after a week or so. I sent it back and they refunded my money, except the original shipping charge.

You gotta understand that finishing a Richards stock will take quite a few hours, lots of elbow grease, sand paper and patience. Another thing, the lead time can be anywhere from 8-12 weeks.

The two that worked for me I really like and use them a lot.