The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2012, 11:41 PM   #1
IDAHOMIKE

.22 Single Six to .32 H&R feasability?

Im hoping someone here can chime in.
I have a beat to hell New Model Single Six of the rimfire variety. Supposing I could find a .32 barrel and cylinder, is it even possible due to firing pin location? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Scorch

Yes, it could be done; no, it is not easy. I will not even guess on the safety of such a conversion.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:26 AM   #3
TMD

Yup it could be done by a compentent gunsmith but in the end it would be much more cost effective just to buy a used .32 mag.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:34 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Doesn't/didn't Ruger make the Single Six in .32 H&R Magnum? Why not just buy one? It would be cheaper than trying to buy the parts and put one together, not to mention the cost of changing the firing pin.

Jim
Old December 3, 2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

If it isn't good enough to shoot a 22 why would you think a 32 would be okay? I am puzzled.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #6
IDAHOMIKE

It runs fine as a 22, just overlaps with other guns. I have seen quite a few of the factory 32 Single Sixes and frankly they have been pricey. One of the bigger smiths chambers the New Models up to 38 Spl, was mostly wondering if the firing pin location is different between the two, which I would assume.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I understand what you want now. Best thing would be to compare cylinder diameters to see if the 32 would fit keeping in mind that the 22 is rim fire and the 32 is centerfire. Without a cylinder in my hands to compare I am guessing the hammer strike would not be on the primer of the 32.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 4, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
Jim Watson

It has been done. A friend has one of those Single Six to .38 Special conversions by John Gallagher and it is a neat little gun. No reason not to make up a .32.
It won't be cheap and it won't be fast.
You finding a barrel and cylinder would help but I think the work would still cost more than a factory gun originally in the caliber.
There is a Vaquerito = .32 with hogwallow fixed sights, on Gunbroker with a "starting bid" of $429 and a buy it now of $599.
A Super Single Six pattern .32 with adjustable sights with an opening bid of $649.95, b.i.n. of $749.95.
No actual bids in on either, yet.

That may sound high, but a talk with a custom gunsmith will show you what a high price is.
Old December 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #9
IDAHOMIKE

Gallagher, that's who I was thinking of. I suppose with the cost of factory Rugers being what it is, I suppose parts command a premium as well.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10
PetahW

As "pricey" as a .32H&R Single-Six may be, it's nothing, compared to the cost of conversion.

Old December 5, 2012, 03:59 PM   #11
IDAHOMIKE

I still like the 32 idea, but got to thinking that if it is going to cost me a bundle of dough to convert it, I may as well go whole hog and save up for a Gallagher. 38 as Jim Watson mentions. I sure appreciate everyones input. In the mean time, maybe Ill have the barrel shortened a bit, maybe "round butt " it too.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:15 PM   #12
Bob Wright

The Single Six is made in .32 H&R Magnum. And the guns are the same frame. If you can get your present cylinder bored to .32 H&R, the rest is faily easy. All you need to do is get a centerfire firing pin assembly and replace the rimfire firing pin assembly.

You have to disassemble your Single Six to remove the loading gate to get access to the firing pin retaining pin and drive that out:

I used a long steel rod, wrapped in tap, to set the new assembly:

When removing the firing pin, place a piece of tape over the firing pin bushing, as its spring loaded and will fly out when released.

Otherwise, the job is simple, if you're handy with tools.

Excuse me ~ I got called away before finishing.

Ruger won't sell you a barrel, but many custom gunsmiths have take-off barrels they're willing to sell. Replacing a barrel is far cheaper than re-boring one. Barrel replacement is not exactly rocket science, but does require a good set up.

Bob Wright

Last edited by Bob Wright; December 5, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:54 AM   #13
IDAHOMIKE

That's an answer more to my liking Bob. Im quite certain I could pull off the firing point replacement. Know a guy that will do the barrel. Now to find the parts. Btw Bob, your posts and your sixguns are responsible for lots of droolin' on my keyboard. Thank you for the tops and eye candy.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:18 PM   #14
RickB

I saw a Single Six converted to a 5-shot .357; harder to do, but sounds like more fun.