The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2008, 09:31 PM   #1
Hedley

Anyone know what a Steyr Hahn 1911's worth?

I came across this curious looking pistol today a can't get it ou of my head. It was in fair/good cndition, and the only markings I saw in m brief encounter was "Steyr." My intenet research mounted little, but I think it's similar to the one shown on the link below:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...n%26safe%3Doff

The owner and I did a trade earlier today, and if it's worth anything, I might go back for a second round.

Thanks,
Hedley
Old March 14, 2008, 09:34 PM   #2
tplumeri

Quote:
can't get it ou of my head
kinda like seeing a really funny looking baby at the mall?
Old March 15, 2008, 08:05 AM   #3
k Squared

Blue Book

The Blue Book value on a Steyr-Hahn Model 1911 in 95% condition is $325. 80% condition value is $225. Add 100% if marked "08" or Rumanian Crest.

I'd think it would be worth more than that just as a conversation piece

Last edited by k Squared; March 15, 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Correction
Old March 15, 2008, 08:38 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

There are two pistols there and I don't know which one you mean. If you are talking about the commercial Steyr-Hahn (Steyr Hammer) pistol with the adjustable sight, it definitely is of interest and should bring a much higher price than the more common military model marked "08". That one was refinished after conversion to 9mm Luger by the Germans in WWII. ("08" indicates that it uses the Model 1908 cartridge, the German military designation of what we call the 9x19 or 9mm Luger. The marking was put on to prevent confusion with unaltered guns that would take the 9mm Steyr, a longer cartridge.)

Those guns load through the top using a "stripper" clip. Fortunately the clips are available as otherwise loading is a PITA.

I would say around $600 on the commercial model, $450 for the "08".

Jim
Old March 21, 2008, 02:39 AM   #5
acco

Steyr Arms

have a look at: www.RandyRick.us/AustriaFirearms/
Old March 21, 2008, 02:45 AM   #6
acco

wrong link

sorry, the correct link is www.randyrick.us/austrianfirearms
Old April 4, 2008, 05:22 PM   #7
Hedley

Well, I ended up buying it today. The old man sent the grips with a customer of his to have some custom ones made up, so he might be able to get those back.

The only markings I can find are "Steyr 1917" on the left side of the slide and a "k" on the rear of the slide, magazine follower and safety selector. It also has some sort of crest between a "W n" and "16" above the right side of the trigger. It has a fixed rear sight.

I will get pics up later on.

Edit- I think it's an Austrian issue M12 with a military acceptance date of 1916.
Old April 4, 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
tplumeri

what did you end up giving for it?
Old April 4, 2008, 08:56 PM   #9
Hedley

I feel bad saying...$50. Well, he asked for $75, but all I had was $50 and change.

I had been thinking about this pistol since he showed it to me on my first visit to his store. That was when I traded a Kel-Tec .380 for his 1897 Winchester. As I was walking out today, I said, "Well, let me know if you ever want to get rid of that..." To which he told me to give him what he paid for it.

And here it is. One goofy handling pistol. Like a nerdy 1911.
Old April 4, 2008, 09:02 PM   #10
tplumeri

sounds like a great deal for an interesting bit of history!
I need to shop at that store!
tom
Old April 6, 2008, 08:45 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The "K" is an Austrian inspection/acceptance mark. The other is the place and year of proof - W[ie]n, 1916. Wien, pronounced "Veen" is what we call Vienna.

BTW, those grips slide in from the bottom; the frame is undercut and the grips are beveled to match. The screw only keeps them from sliding out, it doesn't actually retain them like the grip screws on a 1911. So don't try forcing the grips in or prying them out,

Jim
Old November 1, 2012, 03:10 PM   #12
cosak

12 ga side by side

hi
maby sombody can help me

i have a douple barrel 12 ga shot gun i got it from afriend 40 years ago
but i can not figure out who made it....i checkt every book i have..no results
all hte proof marks are from the belgium lieg proof house...on one side lock plate its marked machine made......on the other plate a name neuman bros.
on the barrels its marked lamieted steel......and a number 6410..wich could be the serial number.....my friend got this gun from his father..who got it from his father....it hase a pistolgripwich is checkerd...the wood is fine walnutand the metalfinish is brownish and looks like clouded....the age i can only guess.because my info tells me the belgium proof marks cant be older 1910......istill use the gun its 24 inch barrel kicks a bit ....but its fun to shoot
it would be more fun if i would know who made this gun...so maby out ther one of you.....mite be of help......thank you in advance.......cosak

sorry but i dont get it..this thread cant be 1670 days old i am just a member for baerly a month.....ther must be some mistek......cosak
Old November 1, 2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Quote:
a name neuman bros
This is what we call a clue.

Neuman Brothers was a Belgian gunmaking company from 1863-1924. It looks like they then merged with Clement and were in business until at least 1954.

The gun was probably made for sale in England or the USA because it is marked Neuman Bros instead of Neuman Freres.

The thread is 1670 days old because you tagged onto an old one about a Steyr pistol instead of starting your own. I just stumbled across it because I am more interested in a Steyr pistol than a shotgun.

You shoud think twice about having fun shooting a gun that old. It may have Damascus barrels and probably has shorter chambers than we make shells for now. It might be dangerous.
Old November 2, 2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

The THREAD is over 1,600 days old, not your membership. That's why the note on the button that says:

"This Thread is more than XXX days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you feel it is absolutely necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so."

And, I can't even begin to conceive of a reason why you resurrected a 4-year-old thread on a HANDGUN to ask a question about a double barreled SHOTGUN.

As kids say, One of These Things, Isn't Like the Others.

Please ask your question in a NEW thread. Don't just randomly restart old threads that have nothing to do with the question you're asking.

Closed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Closed Thread