The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2018, 12:05 AM   #1
Jeryray

Tightgroup powder

Question, looked at the recepies and found with my .38 125 and my .38 hbwc the call for the same load as the bullseye.

When it comes to 115g 9mm, then it's different than bullseye.

Anyone using this powder?

TIA
NYS CCL Instructor
Old January 6, 2018, 12:14 AM   #2
shootniron

I use it mostly for .44 special plinking loads and it is about the same as my Bullseye loads...TG is just cheaper and easier for me to find...and MUCH cleaner burning.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:37 AM   #3
Northof50

Different cases and chambers

The general loading for the 38 is for revolvers; for the 9mm autos. The pressure curves will be different due to the sealed chamber/barrel of the auto as compared to the chamber - cylinder gap - barrel of a revolver. Burn rate depends a lot on chamber pressure. No 2 guns are the same.
Old January 6, 2018, 01:13 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Anyone using this powder (TiteGroup)?
Lots of loaders use TiteGroup. It's popular and abundant (not sure which is the cause and which is the effect).

It's potent, highly energetic stuff; therefore, it's economical. It's fast, but might actually be a scosh slower than most folks think (from my experience). It's a lot like Bullseye - more so than any other propellant I've used. But it is definitely different.

The biggest difference is that it runs much cleaner. But it's also much more dense, so fill levels - especially in revolver cases - can be very low. The low fill levels however, don't seem to effect combustion consistency. Five - that's FIVE - 2.7 grain charges (what I put under my 148 plated DEWC's) can fit in a 38 Special case.

Its biggest drawback is that it runs mighty hot. So much so that I don't use it for lead. But it's a natural for plated bullets. TG is really hard to beat for high-volume (quantity) general range shooting ammo, using plated bullets. It quite possibly does this better than any other. In this role, it's slightly better suited for semi-autos; even though I personally have loaded more revolver rounds with it (only because I shoot a lot more revolver). I only give the nod to semi-autos because of its high density and low fill rate; as semi-auto cases are smaller. I think it was developed with semi-autos in mind.

If I was loading 115 plated 9mm's, TG would come to my mind first - a true "wheelhouse" combination. It would be hard to not make super clean, super consistent ammo with this pairing.

If I was loading HBWC's for 38 Special, I'd look for something a little less energetic - which would mean W231 or Bullseye (respectively) for me.

As far as the load data inconsistency: don't expend a lot of brain power over it. Use the data as a baseline starting point for your load work ups - which is the purpose of the data. Not to toil over why TG is the same as B'eye in 38, and different in 9mm. Focus on crafting good ammo.
Old January 6, 2018, 01:13 AM   #5
tranders

I have used Titegroup in 32 S&W long,38 Special,9mm,and 45ACP. Seems to work ok,but does leave the cases sooty. The price is good and a pound of powder goes a long ways. I bought 8 LBS when nothing else could be found.

A little goes a long ways,so be careful with cases with lots of volume. A person could easily double or triple charge a 38 special case with Titegroup and seat a projectile. Pay attention and Titegroup is a great powder.
Old January 6, 2018, 10:01 AM   #6
Charlie98

Quote:
Its biggest drawback is that it runs mighty hot.
You got that right.

I bought 2 #'s when we were in the throes of the powder shortage... the gun shop guy was unpacking a box and I just grabbed 2 #'s just to have something to load. I regret it now. After 50 rounds of .44SPC, my pistol is so hot I can hardly hold it to load/unload it, and I've not found it to be that clean... but I'm shooting cast bullets, too.

It's biggest strength is my biggest irritant... the stuff lasts forevarrrr!

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 6, 2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Doublehelix3216

I love TG for my 9mm loads. It is pretty much all I use except for some low power "mouse fart" loads with small 100gr. .380 bullets, which use W231.

I have tried lots of other options, and I always keep coming back to TG. It just works for me.
Old January 7, 2018, 12:07 PM   #8
kmw1954

When I first started looking at pistol powders I looked at TG as it was readily available locally and inexpensive. Then I started looking at load data and talking to people on the forums and found that it is not very forgiving. Many loads could be only .4gr from start to max and as I was expecting to load using a powder measure drop that may vary .2gr between drops I just didn't feel comfortable with it.
Old January 7, 2018, 12:51 PM   #9
BigJimP

I use a lot of TiteGroup ....and I agree with most of "Nick C S" comments...

I like TiteGroup in .380, 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp and .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 Mag...so most everything I load. I only load a true Jacketed bullet for all of those calibers...so I don't have any experience with lead bullets.

Its my opinion that you should follow the published recipes both on Min and Max...and not deviate from that. I do not treat published recipes, especially from the powder company, as just guidelines.

I understand many recipes have TiteGroup with a Min and Max that are as small as 0.4 grain apart...so you do need to be careful with it, make sure your press is running very consistently ( ideally with a powder check die if you're going to use TiteGroup )...but it meters very consistently.
Old January 7, 2018, 01:11 PM   #10
Nathan

I use it. I really like it. I don't care how it compares to bullseye. Why would I?
Old January 7, 2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I bought 2 #'s when we were in the throes of the powder shortage... I regret it now.
I bought 4#'s - untried - in the throes of the powder shortage too. So it sounds like were were in similar situations. I however, had already gotten Bullseye to alleviate my fast powder needs; but was looking for something even faster for super-light 38 loads. I thought I'd give TiteGroup a try when it became available on line. I bought 4#'s to amortize/justify the hazmat fee.

Turns out, TG didn't fit the bill for the light 38's, and that left me scrambling to find a use for my 4# procurement. Didn't take long to figure out the heat thing and how it left my barrels coated with lead from breech to muzzle. So lead was out. Soon enough, I learned it runs real clean and super consistent when loaded up to basic range practice levels in 38, 357 (lighter levels), 44 Spl, and especially 45 ACP. As long as it's not pushing bare lead, it made very pleasing ammo (aside from the heat).

I used up my 4 #'s of TG (still have lots of loaded ammo); and won't get any more. But I don't regret getting it. It was a good experience and delivered lots of range enjoyment (and more to come).

For the past two years, I have resolved to get my pistol propellant inventory down from twelve different ones, to just four (N-310; W231; Power Pistol; & 2400). TiteGroup didn't make the cut. W231 will be up for the task for plated range shooters (and much more - though to beat W231 for versatility in its burn rate range).
Old January 7, 2018, 08:53 PM   #12
zplinker

Jeez, enough of this beating a dead horse, regarding Titegroup being 'hot'. I've sold a ton of it, no negative feedback, and loaded/shot thousands of rounds through a 686 .357. IF it were a problem, I'd think I'd have noticed by now, after running 6.9 gr. under a 158 gr. CAST
Old January 7, 2018, 08:58 PM   #13
zplinker

OK, there was a computer OOPs... but I've been running that cast bullet at 1150 fps for the last 15 yrs. w/o problems/leading/overheating. Apparently I'm a total dodo...or you guys are making mountains out of molehills. I've loaded and fired a few hundred thousand rounds over the years, and somehow I'd think I'd have noticed this 'problem'. Titegroup is a great powder. But to each his own.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:06 PM   #14
Charlie98

Quote:
I've sold a ton of it, no negative feedback
Well, then, surely it must be true. But there sure seems to be a fair amount of negative feedback here.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old January 7, 2018, 09:26 PM   #15
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Jeez, enough of this beating a dead horse, regarding Titegroup being 'hot'.
zplinker, I certainly respect your viewpoint and experience. But TG running hot is my experience. Nobody told me TG runs hot; it is a phenomenon I observed firsthand, without any prior knowledge of it.

More times than I can count I've found myself at the range and notice my 686 or 67 getting peculiarly hot. After several events of this type, I drew the common denominator to TG. Since then, there have been several times I noticed my gun getting unusually hot, looked over at my box of ammo, and said to myself "oh, it's TiteGroup." On no trip to the range have I ever set out to wait for this phenomenon to occur. My observation has always been spontaneous.

TiteGroup runs hot. It does.

I don't really consider it a "problem" so much as a characteristic. Guns get hot when you shoot them. TG just seems to get hotter than other propellants in the same burn rate range - very noticeably so.
Old January 8, 2018, 03:26 PM   #16
ToppDogg

over the last 3 or 4 years bullseye was hard to locate in my area, so tightgroup was used. I now favor TG for my 38 loads.
Old January 8, 2018, 04:34 PM   #17
BillM

Titegroup works well in a lot of calibers, is relatively cheap, and one of it's big "selling
points" was that it's position in the case didn't affect performance. I've used it in
9mm, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. Runs a bit hot, leaves a sooty residue, but no chunks.
Smokes like a choo-choo train with lead bullets.
Old January 8, 2018, 04:50 PM   #18
kmw1954

From all the posts I've read over the past year or so I am certain that TG works well for many people. I's just too volatile for my tastes in 9mm and 380 but because I have never tried it I won't say anything bad it.

I will state that if I'm going to look for a faster powder than HP-38 I will probably be going to AA#2 as I can get it locally and it's cheaper than Bullseye.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:10 PM   #19
jhansman

Very popular propellant, and for good reason. I use it in my 4.5" .357mag all the time, and get very good results without getting beat up. BillM's point about it smoking with lead is true, which is why I'm moving over to coated bullets; tired of holding my breath waiting for the air to clear.
Old January 8, 2018, 06:37 PM   #20
disseminator

My experience with TiteGroup:

It runs HOT! Yep, I said it.

Because of the very small charge weights, there is a clear and present danger of double charge or more.

While it does work fine in large cases like 45 Colt, which I have used it for a bunch but not anymore, it tends to be very sooty in that application for me.

It lasts forever. I bought 4 pounds, I have a pound and a half left that will probably be in my cabinet forever.

But it works fine, did I mention it makes my pistols run hot?
Old January 9, 2018, 07:01 PM   #21
m&p45acp10+1

My experience with it in 6 handgun calibers has been that it works just fine with jacketed, or plated bullets. Not so great with lead. I got lead build up in all the calibers I tried it with. It is a go to for me with 9mm jacketed, or plated.
Old January 9, 2018, 07:53 PM   #22
BigJimP

Yeah, it lasts a long time...??? ...

( I only go thru about 15 lbs of it a year ...) ...so I try to keep 32 lbs of it on hand. ...like I said I use it in .380, 9mm, .40 s&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 Mag and .44 Mag.... ...
Old January 9, 2018, 10:25 PM   #23
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I only go thru about 15 lbs of it a year
BigJimP shoots a lot.

It probably takes me upwards of four years to burn 15 #'s of all my propellants used in total. And I put in more than my fair share of range time.
Old January 10, 2018, 01:14 AM   #24
BigJimP

Hey, don't judge......... I'm retired...and everyone needs a hobby ...!!

(....and 2 or 3 range trips a week ( and 10 or 12 boxes a week ).../ ..is good therapy... )...keeps me out of the bars or other bad habits...
Old January 10, 2018, 02:29 PM   #25
rclark

I'll echo... It does run hot which was my biggest complaint. Didn't have a problem using it with lead bullets though as that is all I shoot. I recall discolored case mouths. After I ran my tests in the cartridges I shoot, I moved on to other powders.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.