The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 14, 2016, 04:46 PM   #101
zincwarrior

Quote:
Skate party
Can we send in a bunch of hoverboard armed underworked teenagers to swarm the compound and annoy everyone to death?
Old January 16, 2016, 04:15 PM   #102
thallub

One of the Bundy bunch was arrested for the "unauthorized use" of a US government vehicle. The perp is presently out on bail for a previous federal charge.

Quote:
Medenbach, 62, was detained outside a Safeway supermarket in Burns, Oregon, some 30 miles from the Malheur national wildlife refuge, according to a statement from the Harney County sheriff’s office.

He appears to have driven from the occupied compound to a local supermarket in a vehicle allegedly stolen from the US Fish and Wildlife Service, which runs the refuge. The sheriff’s office statement said that law enforcement officers recovered “two vehicles stolen from the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge”.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...neth-medenbach
Old January 16, 2016, 09:33 PM   #103
Colorado Redneck

Things are getting dumber in Oregon

Quote:
“It needs to be very clear that these buildings will never, ever return to the federal government,” said LaVoy Finicum, one of the leaders of the armed occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.
From MSN
These guys remind me of the Clanton boys back at Tombstone.

Last edited by Colorado Redneck; January 16, 2016 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Quote
Old January 16, 2016, 10:00 PM   #104
kilimanjaro

They need to send two more into town for groceries, the last trip failed. Attrition is working.
Old January 18, 2016, 12:29 AM   #105
candr44

If Bundy and his followers think the federal government has no constitutional right to manage the tax payers land, then they should get a good legal team and take it to court. All the way to the supreme court if necessary.

If they want to fight the government they should organize the ranchers and fight with lawyers, lobbyist, and election campaigns. That's the way its done in a civilized democratic country. An armed group taking over territory and dictating is the way its done in the Middle East.
Old January 18, 2016, 01:25 AM   #106
gyvel

Quote:
An armed group taking over territory and dictating is the way its done in the Middle East.
You mean like when the U.S. government took over the Indian lands, and sent the population to "reservations?"

These guys aren't accomplishing anything other than making themselves look like unbalanced nuts. I think the government has shown extraordinary restraint in not resorting to drastic means to get them out of that building.

As was stated in a previous post, they need to get lawyers and fight this the legal way, in the courts.

If, God forbid, somebody should get trigger happy and create an incident, it's not going to go very well for us who love firearms.
SIFE
Old January 18, 2016, 10:03 AM   #107
rickyrick

I have no qualms about protesting.

I think the media turned this into an "Armed takeover"

It's a group exercising one right while exercising another right... I guess mix and match of rights isn't allowed.

Law enforcement hasn't bothered too much with them, because they apparently aren't too much of a risk/nothing threatened of value.

Not saying I support the group in any way.

But I think that Americans have the right to protest, I think it's dangerous to let citizen's only recourse is lawyers.
Old January 18, 2016, 11:46 AM   #108
kilimanjaro

If they want to make a legal argument to the effect that the Patents to public domain land their grandfathers settled and claimed were invalid because the government had no ownership of the public domain under the Constitution, I'd like to see the video of the entire Supreme Court laughing at once.
Old January 18, 2016, 12:07 PM   #109
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I think the media turned this into an "Armed takeover"

It's a group exercising one right while exercising another right... I guess mix and match of rights isn't allowed.
Is that like when an intruder breaks into your home with a gun, you think to yourself, "He is just exercise his right to keep and bear arms"?

Right to protest is okay. There is no right to occupy a federal facility, breaking into the buildings, using the vehicles, etc. and there is no right to commit such criminal acts while armed.
Old January 18, 2016, 12:38 PM   #110
NateKirk

They make us all look insane

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old January 18, 2016, 02:08 PM   #111
rickyrick

All I'm saying is that law enforcement really doesn't seem to care. One guy was arrested for using a truck.
If it was serious then the place would be surrounded by now... It will all go away.

The only arms I've seen on the news locally is a few guys with pistols in holsters... Looks like they hiked up their shirt tails for the cameras.

Yes they are idiots, and if everyone had ignored them, they'd be gone by now. If no one had mentioned guns, there'd be no attention on it. Just a few guys sitting in an unstaffed ranger station.
To me it all seems weird.
Old January 18, 2016, 04:59 PM   #112
2ndsojourn

I'm guessing they'll all get tired of it and eventually go home. Then, later, the .feds will come knockin' and arrest a few of them.
Old January 18, 2016, 05:49 PM   #113
kilimanjaro

Law Enforcement cares, all right, no question about that.

It's that Waco and Ruby Ridge changed the entire response concept for this kind of thing, don't let them fort up and then go in guns blazing. Sit tight and wait it out, things will work out when they get tired of the game.

They're in the middle of nowhere, the only hazard is to the buildings at the facility and the contents of the buildings. That's not good, but it's not something you scale the ramparts over.

If the occupiers start moving to another location, things will change, until then, let 'em play.

The press is attempting to foment action, no doubt about it.

LEO's are more concerned about the loons trying to come into Burns and piggyback on this thing in the populated town site. That's why the BLM office there has been closed for two weeks, they don't want another facility occupied.
Old January 18, 2016, 06:12 PM   #114
rickyrick

Makes more sense that way...
Old January 18, 2016, 07:39 PM   #115
thallub

Yep, the Bundys attract some fine folks.

One of the Bundy bodyguards, Brian Cavalier, claimed to be a Marine who had served in Afghanistan and Iraq. Turns out he never served in the USMC. He's a former tattoo artist with arrests for DUI.

A second member of the Bundy bunch confessed that he lied about military service in the USMC.

Quote:
But despite his self-styled military image and his heavy use of military phrases, we can reveal Cavalier is in fact a tattoo artist with a long rap sheet for DUI and theft, not a former soldier.

.....................................................................................................

Shortly afterwards Cooper – who has been a prominent figure outside the occupied refuge dressed in full camo military fatigues - was forced to release a statement making clear that he had in fact not spent any time in the Corps.

Online research shows that Cooper was enlisted to join the Marines in what is called the 'Delayed Entry Program,' or DEP, but never attended bootcamp.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...edentials.html

Cooper is a convicted felon:

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt...=fp-yie11&fp=1

Last edited by thallub; January 18, 2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old January 18, 2016, 08:14 PM   #116
rickyrick

What a dirt bag.
Old January 18, 2016, 10:38 PM   #117
Freethought

Yeah well now tell 'em about Pete Santilli , since we're getting this out in the open................."birds of a feather"........'eh.
Old January 18, 2016, 10:55 PM   #118
kilimanjaro

For the record, the left thinks everyone on this forum is exactly like these idiots.
Old January 27, 2016, 01:06 AM   #119
dakota.potts

Several news agencies are reporting the FBI moved in tonight. 1 protester dead, another suffering a minor gunshot wound. 8 arrested including one Bundy and one as far away as Arizona
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...126-story.html
Old January 27, 2016, 04:22 AM   #120
gyvel

Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, no good will come of this, and that is exactly what has happened. We now have one fatality, a man who was involved in a shootout with the FBI. The FBI is also making arrests, one as far down as Peoria, AZ.
SIFE
Old January 27, 2016, 08:32 AM   #121
thallub

Ammon Bundy and his followers will rot in jail while the feds prepare the case against them.

Ship them off to Gitmo.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:26 AM   #122
Colorado Redneck

When these guys brought their guns with them and "occupied" a federal facility, they increased the likelihood of a violent outcome. All of these guys did that by themselves. They were not threatened, they were the threat. Talk of an "uprising" is scaling this up even more.

Those that casually mention "uprising" are most likely without a clue what the endgame will be. Anarchy is not a pretty sight, and the fact is, we in this nation have life really good. Amazing how the voices in some peoples' heads can run them off the rails.
Old January 27, 2016, 11:34 AM   #123
kilimanjaro

The man killed had 11 kids, per the news. Guess he forgot about his priorities.
Old January 27, 2016, 02:41 PM   #124
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The man killed had 11 kids, per the news. Guess he forgot about his priorities.
Productive comment. He said he was willing to die for his cause and I have to give some respect for following through on that, even if I don't support them.

Those arrested are claiming he had his hands in the air unarmed and was shot in the face. I don't really believe that, or at least that it was that simple, but I am sure many will. I don't find it impossible either. I see why they did not want to interdict at the ranch with news cameras rolling, but this undocumented death may feed the fire, not put it out. Those in the facility have indicated they aren't intimidated and will continue their action. I am willing to bet they will be much more interested in assistance from more radical groups they previously refused, and they will be on high alert just waiting for something to happen. You get enough people on edge like that and something will happen.

Maybe there were body/cruiser cams in use.

At least things have not escalated today.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 27, 2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old January 27, 2016, 02:55 PM   #125
buck460XVR

It's too bad it had to come to this, but I think this is exactly what many of those folks wanted.

I think the Feds waited so long before they did anything to try and avoid this outcome, but realized it just wasn't gonna happen.

While I feel sorry for the dead man and his family, the blame does not lie on the FBI.
Closed Thread