The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 17, 2020, 11:23 AM   #76
Double K

Your pretty wound up over this Taylor, your transparent in that when losing a debate you attack a person and not their opinions or facts. As to the practice of putting down wounded animals that are clearly mortally wounded for a hunting partner and especially a spouse, regardless of weather it stretches state game law legality it's certainly morally correct in my mind. And if there's anyone on this forum that hasn't done it they've either hunted alone there entire life or are not telling the truth.
I went back to see what got you so worked up and it appears to be my assertion that Randy Newbergs show is a typical reality tv program, not real.
Hey if you want to tell yourself reality tv shows are real your certainly not alone.
If one wants to find someone on the internet to validate their opinions, any opinion it's easy enough to do, here's mine. Read the final paragraph "Bottom line".
https://skyaboveus.com/hunting-shoot...ng-in-Colorado

Last edited by Double K; August 17, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old August 17, 2020, 04:26 PM   #77
old roper

Double K, If you figured law was wrong what not turn yourself in and fight it.

Why don't you give me address and I'll have DOW stop by.

Taylor, DK shot buck 2005. Laws have changed.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; August 17, 2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old August 17, 2020, 06:15 PM   #78
Double K

"And if there's anyone on this forum that hasn't done it they've either hunted alone there entire life or are not telling the truth"

There's a third group of hunters that have never put down a wounded animal for someone else in a hunting situation, those are the people that have never actually killed enough game to find themselves having to make the choice between doing the right thing and ending the suffering of a wounded animal or following the law to the letter.
Old August 17, 2020, 10:26 PM   #79
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Roper
Taylor, DK shot buck 2005. Laws have changed.
I haven't kept up with the changes, but I don't think "party hunting" was ever a felony offense. I'm sure it could be elevated to a felony depending on the situation. I could be wrong, and I'll just say currently it isn't a felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
Your pretty wound up over this Taylor, your transparent in that when losing a debate you attack a person and not their opinions or facts.
First off I'm not wound up over the cartridge debate or Randy Newberg at all. We both have different opinions on what is a good elk cartridge, and who we find that we agree with who makes a living in the industry. I'm perfetly fine with my experiences not mirroring yours.

What gets me wound up is the lies you're posting. Like after saying "I had a like license" or "perfectly legal to kill an already mortally wounded animal to prevent loss". Number one you didn't have the correct tag which you admitted to previously, two it is never legal to kill big game without the proper license even if they are mortally wounded. Then you accused me of changing my narrative, when you have no problem doing the very thing you accused me of especially when it breaks Colorado game laws.

There are ways to legally handle the situation you described, even if the animal crossed a fence onto property you can't hunt. You chose not to handle it the correct way, and posted it on a public forum and don't like being called on it. My point is you lose all credibility when you start preaching morals and ethics when you get caught with your pants down in the middle of a lie after admittedly doing something illegal. I was perfectly fine letting the it go, but you had to complain about people using a double standard when you're the "pot calling the kettle".

Last edited by taylorce1; August 19, 2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old August 17, 2020, 11:26 PM   #80
Double K

Taylor

So mister I do everything down to the letter of the law how would you have handled the situation, try and make it believable.
I did a search on who you are, your just a pup! I'll cut you some slack because of your youth, after you've killed a couple hundred big game animals you'll lighten up a little.
Hint for this coming big game season, the only way you'll ever kill big bucks and bulls is by stop shooting those 2-3 old ones.

Last edited by Double K; August 17, 2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old August 18, 2020, 09:02 AM   #81
FITASC

And all of this blather has WHAT to do with the OP's question about the 7-08 for elk?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2020, 09:38 AM   #82
Double K

It's called a pissing match and adds nothing to the conversation.
Almost nobody goes to their local sporting goods store with the intention of buying an elk rifle and comes home with a 7-08.....period.
I bought my first 7-08 in 1993, I've had 5 of them, still have 2, it's the most dependable deer cartridge I've ever used, one of the best silhouette cartridges and a pretty good hunter bench rest cartridge.
It's to weak of a cartridge for long shots at bull elk.

Last edited by Double K; August 18, 2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 18, 2020, 01:17 PM   #83
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
It's call a pissing match and adds nothing to the conversation.
Almost nobody goes to their local sporting goods store with the intention of buying an elk rifle and comes home with a 7-08.....period.
I bought my first 7-08 in 1993, I've had 5 of them, still have 2, it's the most dependable deer cartridge I've ever used, one of the best silhouette cartridges and a pretty good hunter bench rest cartridge.
It's to weak of a cartridge for long shots at bull elk.
Well said.
Old August 18, 2020, 03:49 PM   #84
FITASC

Then maybe you need to better your hunting skills so you aren't taking long shots at bull elk, eh? A 140 or 160 Partition from a 7-08 WILL do the job at ranges most folks should be limiting themselves to. I have seen WAY too many yahoos think that 6-800 yard shots are OK because they did it in a video game or maybe actually fired a rifle from a bench at a static piece of paper. I have also seen a lot of old timers kill elk with .243, 257s, 6.5s, 270s, and 7mm by knowing how to get close enough for a good shot.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 18, 2020, 05:22 PM   #85
Double K

There's this fantasy that goes around the internet and campfires that there's this small percentage of altruistic hunters who use small cartridges and hunt like archery hunters sneaking up on game for carefully placed perfect shots. In this fantasy world these guys are all grey haired knowing all seeing all seasoned hunters who never take long shots even if there's a huge animal that cannot be approached any closer either because of time or terrain. The story tellers elevate them to almost god like status.
Apparently there as rare as unicorns because I know alot of elk hunters and have never met one.
People that tell these stories have probably never been elk hunting.
Old August 18, 2020, 10:48 PM   #86
Colorado Redneck

Double K

The pissing match seems to have started with a difference of opinion that devolved into stories that proved nothing, and a lot of chest thumping on your part trying to convince everyone you're right and they're wrong. You posted a statement about story tellers elevating themselves to God like status. Reread your posts.
Old August 18, 2020, 11:01 PM   #87
Double K

Colorado redneck

I didn't say the story tellers elevated themselves to god like status, here's what I said " The story tellers elevate them to almost god like status." that is these mythical hunters with such prowness.

So what do- did I say that you dispute, make your case.

Last edited by Double K; August 19, 2020 at 01:03 AM.
Old August 19, 2020, 03:56 AM   #88
NHSHOOTER

I want to thank you all for your opinions and comments, I will not be hunting for Elk this coming season so by next season I will be bumping up my arsenal to a more acceptable cartridge for elk and keep the ole' 7-08 for deer (which it does very well on)..I am leaning towards the 300 win mag.
Old August 19, 2020, 04:16 PM   #89
Colorado Redneck

Double K
I merely posted my observation of the pissing match. I won't argue, it's a waste of time. Carry on.
Old August 19, 2020, 05:48 PM   #90
FITASC

DK sure seems to be a lot of insulting hot air......... so be it DK
You Win, everyone else is wrong.......whatever dude.........
Old August 19, 2020, 06:44 PM   #91
Double K

Fitasc

If your insulted by something I said my apologies. All kinds of insults were thrown my way in this thread and I'm not upset it about because I know they're not true.
I have some pretty strong opinions about things because I have alot of experience.
I've run a hunting club since 1993,managed the properties for trophy mule deer , been a AAA rifle silhouette shooter since 1990, won a state championship and been on the state team countless times, been to the national championships countless times. I still compete and practice offhand shooting weekly.
Killed nearly every big game animal available around here with a bow, crossbow, blackpowder rifles, pistols and rifle.
When it comes to hunting I prefer archery hunting because it requires more hunting skill, I just don't like shooting a bow, I love modern rifles.

Last edited by Double K; August 19, 2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old August 19, 2020, 08:17 PM   #92
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K
So mister I do everything down to the letter of the law how would you have handled the situation, try and make it believable.
I did a search on who you are, your just a pup! I'll cut you some slack because of your youth, after you've killed a couple hundred big game animals you'll lighten up a little.
Hint for this coming big game season, the only way you'll ever kill big bucks and bulls is by stop shooting those 2-3 old ones.
All I can say Double K is you had a choice to make, and you made it. You killed a buck without a license, plain and simple. If you had gotten caught you would have had to face the punishment for illegally shooting a deer. You just admitted on a public forum to taking the easy way out, then have tried to back track out using ethics and morals.

If you're hunting near or on private property it's a good think to get to know your neighbors. You can usually work out some sort of compromise before season in case something like a wounded animal crossing property lines (fences) happens. If you can't work out a compromise then you might have to give the local GW a call to come out and help you recover a animal. If neighbor is a real problem case, then it's probably best not to shoot game real close to that property line.

The rest I don't even feel the need to touch on.
Old August 19, 2020, 08:21 PM   #93
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSHOOTER
I will be bumping up my arsenal to a more acceptable cartridge for elk and keep the ole' 7-08 for deer (which it does very well on)..I am leaning towards the 300 win mag.
Sounds like you came up with a plan, good luck on your elk hunt.
Old August 19, 2020, 09:11 PM   #94
Double K

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
All I can say Double K is you had a choice to make, and you made it. You killed a buck without a license, plain and simple. If you had gotten caught you would have had to face the punishment for illegally shooting a deer. You just admitted on a public forum to taking the easy way out, then have tried to back track out using ethics and morals.

If you're hunting near or on private property it's a good think to get to know your neighbors. You can usually work out some sort of compromise before season in case something like a wounded animal crossing property lines (fences) happens. If you can't work out a compromise then you might have to give the local GW a call to come out and help you recover a animal. If neighbor is a real problem case, then it's probably best not to shoot game real close to that property line.

The rest I don't even feel the need to touch on.
That's a better response than I expected, you do a good job talking the talk but do you walk the walk, no way to tell on a forum.
I'll say one thing for you, you missed your calling in life, instead of being a train guy you probably should have have been a prosecutor because you did one hell of a job making this conversation about elk cartridges about a bad situation of mine drawing attention away from a debate you were losing.
Given close examination few would agree with you that ethics and morals don't occasionally supersede some state laws especially since some states are perfectly fine with one hunter putting down another hunters already wounded game.
Old August 19, 2020, 11:06 PM   #95
taylorce1

Double K recommend magnums for elk if like, I have no problem with that. There never was a debate IMO to lose. You just feel that your opinion matters more than anyone else on this subject, so of course you would say I was never winning the debate.

Colorado is not "perfectly fine" with you shooting game you don't have a license for wounded or not. Your wife would have had to make a reasonable attempt to recover her buck had it made it over the fence onto someone else's private property. You shooting it without a license for it is not a "reasonable attempt" by any definition. Nor is it's "perfectly fine" in other states going to be a winning defense.

What you did was considered party hunting at a minimum, it could have been considered poaching as charges often get stacked. Also depending on the points could of had you violating the Sampson Law. All of which could if convicted could have cost you several thousands in fines and lost hunting privileges in most of the U.S. for a few years. So if you feel that strongly what you did was morally/ethically right violating Colorado game laws, I say do what you can afford.
Old August 19, 2020, 11:17 PM   #96
Double K

Like I said before you missed your calling in life, you just keep pounding away and nothing will stop you from having the last word on this. Normally I wouldn't concede but it's obvious at this point your not going to let the defense have the last word per court rules! Hammer away again prosecutor.
Old August 23, 2020, 12:30 PM   #97
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
Double K recommend magnums for elk if like, I have no problem with that. There never was a debate IMO to lose. You just feel that your opinion matters more than anyone else on this subject, so of course you would say I was never winning the debate.

Colorado is not "perfectly fine" with you shooting game you don't have a license for wounded or not. Your wife would have had to make a reasonable attempt to recover her buck had it made it over the fence onto someone else's private property. You shooting it without a license for it is not a "reasonable attempt" by any definition. Nor is it's "perfectly fine" in other states going to be a winning defense.

What you did was considered party hunting at a minimum, it could have been considered poaching as charges often get stacked. Also depending on the points could of had you violating the Sampson Law. All of which could if convicted could have cost you several thousands in fines and lost hunting privileges in most of the U.S. for a few years. So if you feel that strongly what you did was morally/ethically right violating Colorado game laws, I say do what you can afford.
I have to agree. My son shot a deer and I knew it would be a track it forever type deal. .223, and not ideal shot placement. Just as it almost made it to the wood line, I layed it down with .257 Roy. He told everybody he killed it. Etc. Etc. The important thing was that I tagged it. I just was not in mood to track for hours in saw briars.
Old August 23, 2020, 02:22 PM   #98
JohnKSa
Staff

And we're done here. Some of you can expect something in your PM inbox.