The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #26
50 shooter

Yeah, this kinda went a little sideways and the term to describe military rifles as AW's came up in CA back in the 80's.

As 44 Amp posted, the school yard shooting is what brought on the first ban in CA. Senator Art Agnos was the one that kept pushing the term assault rifle/firearms to describe military weapons.

It will never change now, no matter what we call them or refer to them as. The media and politicians have latched onto the term assault weapon(s) and will continue to use it because it scares people.
No time for rearranging.
Old Today, 12:44 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

As of last year, in Washington state, the law changed and now legally defines EVERY semi automatic rifle as a "semiautomatic assault rifle".

Every single one, no matter what caliber, when made, or what features it has, ALL are now legally "semiautomatic assault rifles". Not just the military look alike ones, ALL of them, because of the definition they used in the law.

That law is currently under challenge in court, because of other provisions, but it could be years before the matter is legally resolved.

Meanwhile, there is an additional waiting period (10 days) and "enhanced" background check (no idea what that is) special training required (again, without specifying WHAT that is), and (believe it or not) access to your medical records is required, before they deem you suitable to own a semi automatic assault rifle.
Old Today, 01:54 AM   #28
zoo

I did not know the State of Washington was THAT screwed up regarding firearms.
Old Today, 07:17 AM   #29
gaseousclay

I remember talking to a woman a couple months back about the riots and she mentioned that she was grateful that some citizens were armed and willing to protect businesses from looters. But, I knew she was anti-2a, even though she said she supported gun ownership. How do I know this? I proceeded to tell her that I supported 2a and her response was, “I support 2a, just not the ability for guns to hold 30 round mags.” She didn’t see the irony in her statement, namely that earlier she was grateful for armed citizens protecting businesses from destruction, some of whom were armed with AR’s and 30 round magazines. I just walked away from the conversation because you can’t reason with ignorance.
Old Today, 01:09 PM   #30
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I did not know the State of Washington was THAT screwed up regarding firearms.
WA is currently that screwed up thanks to the population imbalance, voter initiative passed laws, and a slick marketing campaign that targeted the metro west side telling people telling them the law was needed to keep domestic abusers from getting guns (a complete lie).

After being defeated multiple times in the legislature, the gun banners took to voter initiative, and while it passed ONLY in the 5 counties in the Seattle metro area / I-5 corridor, the numbers there were enough to override the rest of the state.

WA gun control laws made it a great place to live for a long time. Until recently...
Old Today, 01:36 PM   #31
T. O'Heir

The use of semi or select fire battle rifles depends on your country's military budget and who your country's management is aligned with these days.
"...why does the left refer to AR-15s..." Makes the innocent AR-15 sound scarier.
"...do not find them "Attractive"..." The M-16 was ordered adopted by McNamara because he thought it was sexy. The U.S. military didn't want it.
"...The Sword..." Like hand guns, were and still are status symbols. Very few rank and filers during Middle Ages could afford one. OR's don't get 'em for parades now either.
"...THINGS are not bad..." Yep. 'Things' are inanimate objects. Inanimate objects cannot do anything.
The real issue is that unelected civil servants were give the ability to make law by regulation with no legislation or input by elected representatives.
I don't think you have the Constitution right to own property either.
Old Today, 06:20 PM   #32
zoo

The medical records part would worry me most. Might show I have a little Yosemite Sam mixed in my DNA.