The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 11, 2020, 04:23 PM   #1
Geezerbiker

Winchester model 90

I have a Winchester model 90 barreled receiver that came out of an estate. All the other parts are gone. It's marked for .22 WRF and from my understanding that is an obsolete round. The bore looks good but I haven't cleaned it yet. Is this for for anything other than a wall hanger?

Tony
Old July 11, 2020, 04:38 PM   #2
Remington74

I looked on E bay and Numrich for parts. There quite a few listed but also a lot of them out of stock. I believe what you have is a Winchester 1890 slide action. If you were to try to restore it and even if you could find all the parts somewhere It would probably be an expensive project. I would vote wall hanger and maybe pick up some parts to make it look more gun-like than just the barreled receiver.
Old July 11, 2020, 05:10 PM   #3
ghbucky

50 rounds for $15
Old July 11, 2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Scorch

We restore and rebuild 1890s and 1906s all the time. Parts are gettting harder to come by, most of the larger parts are torn down/parted out rifles. Many of the parts available are toast, they are from rifles that were too wron to fix but the people sell the parts off. Yes, you can weld up parts and remachine them, but they're never quite right. If you have a 1890 barreled action in good shape, it would be worth rebuilding. If it is worn out and tired, it may not be worth the trouble.

22 WRF ammo is available, CCI loads it. It doesn't shoot that great out of original .226" bores, but it's better than throwing rocks.
Old July 11, 2020, 08:57 PM   #5
Geezerbiker

I'll clean the bore the next chance I get and see if it's in good enough shape to trade off. Unfortunately it's not complete enough for a wall hanger and I don't have enough interest in it for a project.

Right now I'm working on an old Winchester pump action gallery rifle for a wall hanger. It's guts are gone but there's enough left to make a good decoration...

Tony