The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 10, 2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Medic101

Century Arms C308 opinions

Looks like a poor man's G3 or FAL to me, but I don't know much about CA or their quality. I know they're virtually identical to a G3 design-wise, but i don't know the quality difference between the German G3s and the Spanish C308.
Old August 10, 2019, 05:16 PM   #2
44caliberkid

Well...it's a Century. You need to have the one you are buying in front of you, so you can inspect it. Quality can vary from piece to piece. Also be sure you can return it. Century is doing a little better the last 3 years or so. These are made from CETME parts, and some of those aren't great. They don't have the nice diopter rear sight that the German models have and Century cobbles up their own rear sight. One that I looked at had a crude notch sight that looked like it was made on an anvil with a hammer. (No disrespect to you artisan blacksmiths out there). Another one had an OK rear sight. If you want a G3 type weapon without paying for an original, a Century might be OK, but I would also look at the ones being distributed by Atlantic Firearms. Although their rep is not Sterling either.
Old August 10, 2019, 05:23 PM   #3
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic101 View Post
Looks like a poor man's G3 or FAL to me, but I don't know much about CA or their quality. I know they're virtually identical to a G3 design-wise, but i don't know the quality difference between the German G3s and the Spanish C308.
There is a website called Militaryfirearm...the forum "Battlerifles" has the sub-forum Cetme/HK...there must be about 3 dozen stickies as well as a forum on your weapon type. One of the stickies includes a translation of an original CETME military issue manual.

Century stuff has always been hit or miss quality wise unless they changed.

I have a PTR91 GI that has been a great shooter with no problems, it is also an HK clone and is more money but is US made by a company that stands behind their product, But there are some who really like the C308, depends on what you like and are willing to spend....JJ
Old August 12, 2019, 01:18 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Anything from Century is suspect at best. They cobbled rifles together out of parts bins with zero QC. They assembled thousands of No. 1 and No. 4 Lee-Enfields out of parts bins without bothering to check the head space to ensure the rifles were safe to shoot.
The C308 is a semi-auto only copy of the Cetme/HK 91/G3 and nothing like or to do with an FAL. Even though Century cobbled FAL's together using a mixture of metric and Imperial parts resulting in a rifle that may or may not function too.
The Spanish Cetme came first and used a less powerful 7.62 cartridge. The Germans copied it to make their G3/HK. Century supposedly uses surplus and new parts made by PTR Industries of Aynor, South Carolina in their copy of the Cetme.
Old August 20, 2019, 02:57 PM   #5
PlatinumCore16

I'm sure davidsog will be in here soon, but before he does, the low down is this:
Older C308s are super hit or miss. Many had to be rebuilt due to terrible QC. The later ones have their reciever and trunnion welded/pinned by PTR, so your chances of real bad things happening are much lower. Other stuff is still CA welded/assembled. For a few extra hundred, get the PTR 91GI. It's a better build all around and really isn't htat much pricier. Especially if you wait for a good deal. If you want some extra bells and whistles, sure. Save up for a top of the line PTR or Zenith. OR go drop a couple grand for a real H&K. Not worth it imho.

If you "have" to have a G3 replica, PTR GI is the way to go.
Old August 21, 2019, 02:39 PM   #6
davidsog

Quote:
If you "have" to have a G3 replica, PTR GI is the way to go.
Good advice. PTR makes a good product.

Quote:
I'm sure davidsog will be in here soon, but before he does, the low down is this:
You covered it.

Quote:
Anything from Century is suspect at best.
Yep, Century Arms has managed to singlehandedly alter the reputation of several small arms of the world with their poor quality control and short cuts.

They have even shaved the bolts on CETME-C's (C308) to mimic the correct bolt gap. I am surprised they have not been sued over such practices.

Old August 21, 2019, 02:48 PM   #7
PlatinumCore16

Thanks bud. We do appreciate your wealth of knowledge on the roller locks