The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 24, 2019, 12:23 AM   #1
denvernoob

Bushmaster XM-15 Standard A3 Patrolman's

Most of the XM-15 reviews I found while researching were quite dated, and I figured this might be helpful for someone like me.

I'm an Army vet with a tour in Afghanistan. Got out in '06 so it's been awhile. But living in CO I figured the state is on the short list to ban ARs eventually, so I finally got one. I basically wanted what I had in the service. I had M16s and M4s, both Colt and FN. Carry handle w/ iron sights.

Price wise Colt and FN are pretty proud of their rifles. As they should be, it's what I had when it mattered. They also don't come with the carry handle/rear sight that I wanted. Big box close by had the XM-15 for $800.

I did some research and the resounding response is "get a Colt", but from what I gathered Bushmaster has been pushing past the commercial "hobby" spec and their latest XM-15s are near complete mil-spec. I would agree. Beyond the 1:9 twist barrel and front hand guards this is a mil-spec rifle. Or at least darn close to it.

I'm very pleased with the rifle. Nice finish, and well made. Most importantly it shoots great. I took it to the mountains today and put 250 rounds of M193 down range with no issues whatsoever. I put a rough zero on at ~100 yds from prone and blasted away. I have shot an AR only a few times since my Army days and I forgot how much fun they are, and how well they shoot.

I expect this rifle will last for many thousands of rounds to come. I couldn't be happier.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

These were my last two magazines. One from prone the other standing. Nothing worth bragging about but like I said it's been awhile.

Last edited by denvernoob; August 24, 2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old August 24, 2019, 10:39 AM   #2
stagpanther

Bushmaster has had it's "ups and downs" I had one that I bought during their "down" and it was a piece of junk IMO. Sounds like you got an "up" congrats and happy shooting!
Old August 24, 2019, 11:10 AM   #3
cslinger

I have two early 2000s ban era bushie’s that have been spectacular. That was however back in the A,B,C and sometimes R era of AR15s. (Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt and sometimes Rock River)

Hell my 20 inch still has a naked unthreaded barrel.