The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
PotteryPal

Question - Regarding Compact 9mm Ambidextrous

Fellow Members,

I am new to this forum and also in the process of revitalizing my interest in gun ownership.

I recently purchased a SIG P239 for my wife and I to get comfortable.

I am left-handed and she is right-handed so the P239 is ok, but I can already see a second handgun purchase in the near future .

I really like SIG Sauer but they seem to be limited on products with Ambidextrous -slide release and mag release.

Does anyone know of a SIG product that is left-hand friendly in a 9mm caliber. I prefer compact (not sub-compact) size handguns. I am looking at H&K P30 too.

Thanks in advance.

Old January 8, 2013, 06:55 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

The absolute best ambi pistol is the HK P7. The only button is the takedown button. The squeeze grip cocks the gun, releases the slide, etc.

Many models of Kimber have ambi safeties as well .

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; January 9, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: stupid Ipad spelling
Old January 8, 2013, 07:17 PM   #3
stingray2100

SigSauer does have an ambi handgun.

it is the P250.

also, I'm a southpaw just like you, Am also an Instructor.

I would recommend also the Springfield Armory XD, XDm and XDs models.
Old January 8, 2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I'm a lefty and you can adapt pretty quickly to a right handed pistol. You will be surprised what you can do just using your index finger so don't feel that you have to have an ambi pistol.

With that said,I will admit though that I had to have an ambi safety on my 1911. I couldn't over come that one.

I might also suggest looking at a Walther PPS. The mag release is ambi and the slide release is easy to work using your index finger on your left hand. If it matters to you, even the PPS that are marked "Smith and Wesson" are made in Germany.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:59 PM   #5
BrokenBottles

I'm a lefty too, I thought it would be a huge pain to shoot a right handed gun. After only about 100 rounds with my right handed SigPro, firing a left hand dedicated gun is awkward for me.
I figured that if firing a left handed gun was so awkward for me after such a short time with a right handed gun, it was better to just not shoot myself in the foot and stick with using right handed guns.
Kind of like guitars, I can play either way but playing right handed feels better and more natural so I only mess around left handed when I'm bored.

EDIT: Also, the Ruger SR series are all ambi.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:07 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Walther PPX, M&P, Beretta PX4 C format/ambi line....

If you can wait you can buy a NIB(new in box) Walther PPX. It's a hammer fired high-cap polymer frame DA only pistol in 9x19mm or .40S&W.
It's full of ambi features & the projected MSRP is about $500.00. Note: prices may shoot up with the big upswing in sales/interest.
Other good, high quality brands include the Beretta PX4 Storm in C(constant action) or the ambi-feature Compact. The compact has a slide mounted ambi safety, ambi slide release, ambi(converted) mag release. I owned a great PX4 C 9mm in 2009.
The HK-P30 or P2000 series could meet your needs. They have ambi controls & the LEM(law enforcement modification) is popular with LE agencies(ICE, CBP, US Border Patrol).
I lean towards the .357sig for defense/concealed use. It feeds good & is powerful. The FAMS(Air Marshals) & US Secret Service use it with + results.
Clyde
Old January 8, 2013, 11:12 PM   #7
TunnelRat

If money isn't an issue, or you can find a good used one (next to impossible in the current climate though), the HK P2000 with flat base plates is near identical in size to your P239 with 13+1 rds of 9mm instead of 8+1 rds. Both the mag release and slide release are ambi.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 9, 2013, 03:00 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

New FNS line....

I'd also add www.fnhusa.com . The new FNS line has full ambi features; safety, slide release, mag release. The pistols have a lot of + features & come in .40S&W and 9x19mm.

Clyde
Old January 9, 2013, 02:17 PM   #9
BigJimP

Right handers rule the world....( and we're not giving up control easily ) !!

However, some of my buddies are lefties...and they adapt very quickly to right handed guns ...and some things like mag changes are actually easier for them as lefties...as opposed to the way I have to manipulate my primary hand on the gun for the same action....

but I think Sig is one of the better...more friendly mfg's ...toward lefties. I think the mag releases can be reversed in most Sig models - like the 239, 226, etc....
Old January 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Fishbed77

The Walther P99 (newest version) and PPQ are fully ambidextrous (even the take-down tabs!).
Old January 10, 2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Pistola Pedro

Well if you like the Sig 239, but want to go ambidextrous, I would highly recommend taking a look at the Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9. The name is a little misleading because it's similarly sized to the 239 and is in no way a subcompact. They are ambidextrous and amazingly good quality pistols for their price range.
Also, I can tell you that the HK P2000/sk is an awesome option as well!
Good luck and have fun!
Pete
Old January 10, 2013, 01:05 PM   #12
adamc

I have an FHN fnx-45 for my lefty usage,,,

I also saw that a Berreta 92FS 9mm is ambi ...
so maybe a 9mm is going into my collection ?
Old January 10, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
AndyWest

92FS safety/decock is ambi. Mag release is default righty but can be reversed. Slide release is fixed righty. Awesomeness is ambi.
Old January 13, 2013, 10:20 AM   #14
PotteryPal

Thanks for all the responses.