The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 14, 2000, 08:34 AM   #1
Matt VDW

Is there such a thing as a "knife of choice" for criminals?

I suppose that many stabbings and slashings are committed with kitchen knives, just because they happen to be handy when things turn ugly. But what about the criminals who arm themselves in advance for the purpose of mugging, rape, or just general mayhem? Do they tend to select big knives or small knives? Fixed blades or folders? Fancy fighting knives or sharpened screwdrivers?
Old August 14, 2000, 12:36 PM   #2
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Actually, when I think of a 'Critter Knife of Choice', a shank generally comes to mind. Sharpened toothbrushes, mostly.

Second place would have to go to common kitchen knives.

Third would be the biggest, shiniest, (cheapest) hunting knife they could get their paws on.

I've never run across a critter with the good taste or sense to carry a Sebenza, or a Cold Steel Tanto or anything that you couldn't get for $19.99 at the flea market.

LawDog
Old August 14, 2000, 12:38 PM   #3
RH

Great question ! Probably better answered at bladeforums.com, where there are lots of blade nuts and LEO's who might have some personal knowledge to add to the discussion.

My own guess is that not many criminals are carrying quality cutlery (>$30), unless they stole it from somewhere/someone else. To them it's probably a commodity item and a tool of the trade, but one that would be subject to immediate disposability if necessary. Box-cutter or snap-off plastic utility knife are probably big favorites.
Old August 14, 2000, 03:10 PM   #4
David Scott

Swing by a flea market and look at the tables full of low-quality knives that look like Klingon standard issue.
Old August 14, 2000, 04:37 PM   #5
EnochGale

Moderator is right, I just read somewhere that the weapon of choice is a kitchen knife.
Old August 14, 2000, 08:08 PM   #6
Jhp147

Chiming in with Lawdog. Kitchen knives if the fight starts in a house. Screwdrivers if it starts in or near a car or garage. Around here, we have a beef packing plant that employs a large number of certain ethnic groups. One group ALWAYS seems to have a boning knife handy. The closest I've ever seen to a real fighting knife knife at a scene is a good old Buck 110 folder. They seemed to be popular before "drivebys" became the crime of choice.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7
Old August 14, 2000, 09:09 PM   #7
Matt VDW

Lawdog, does anyone carry a sharpened toothbrush outside of prison? I can see how it might be the best thing available behind bars, but it seems like a poor choice for the street. Even one of those $5 Pakistani specials would hold a better edge.
Old August 14, 2000, 09:36 PM   #8
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

jhp147, IBP--gotta love 'em.

Matt, actually I've only found one shank outside of a facility--ex-con had a sharpened toothbrush laying in the console of his car. I missed seeing what it actually was until the stop was nearly complete.

LawDog