The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 26, 2012, 06:29 PM   #1
THERAVEN

l'd like to get into Cowboys shooting

What different guns do I need to get.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2
jmortimer

I would go to one/a few SASS events and check it out. You will see for yourself what is used and the SASS members will be glad to tell you everything you need to know.
Generally, an 1873 rifle with short stroke kit .357 shooting .38 Special
A pair of Ruger Vaqueros .357 shooting .38 Special
A Shotgun - number of options

The guns sold by Evil Roy work - he would know

http://www.evilroyshootingschool.com/
Old December 26, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Hawg

Two single action revolvers, a lever action rifle shooting pistol cartridges, and a SXS shotgun or an 87 lever action or 97 pump but the latter two can only be loaded two at a time. No jacketed bullets and no magnum loads.
Old December 26, 2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Jbar4Ranch

First, find a club and try the game out with someone else's guns. Borrowing guns at a club match is seldom a problem.

Go HERE for a BUNCH of information.

Generally, the guns required are two single action revolvers, either cartridge or percussion, a lever action rifle in a "pistol caliber" (we call 'em pistols for some reason), and a SxS shotgun, 1897 pump, or even a single shot in 20g, 16g, 12g, or 10g.

That said, there are pump rifles made for the game, but they usually are problematic. There is also the 1887 lever action shotgun. Rifle & pistol calibers can be most any traditional cartridge from .32 H&R magnum up to .45 Colt. Some categories have caliber restrictions, some require certain guns, such as fixed sight instead of adjustable sight, and some have specific costuming requirements. Calibers include .32 H&R magnum, .38 spl, .357 mag, .38-40, .41 mag, .44-40, .44 Russian, .44 spl, .44 mag, and .45 Colt. Single actions chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45acp are also legal in some categories. Percussion guns from .36 to .44/.45 are also legal.

There are some rifle calibers, such as .32-20 and .56-.50 that are also legal, and a rifle/pistol cartridge called the Cowboy .45 Special.
I've probably missed a couple in there somewhere, but you get the idea.

Check out the shooters manual HERE

SASS 47015
Old December 26, 2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Crunchy Frog

You received some good responses already. My slightly tongue-in-cheek response to your question "which guns should I buy" is NONE. Or more precisely, "nothing until you have attended a couple of matches to see and handle what is being used in competition".

It is not uncommon for new shooters to show up with guns that they have purchased, only to find out that what they bought is not well suited for the game. That can be an expensive mistake.

Go to the SASS clubs page and look for the clubs that are close to your area: http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/index.php

If you don't already have a cowboy shooting friend who can bring you to a match and mentor you, contact the match director for your local club and let them know that you are interested. They will probably take it from there.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
Shotgun693

Here's my pre-printed universal answer to your question:

Go to some local club shoots. Take about 100 rounds of low velocity lead revolver rounds, .38 Spl or .45 Colt and a box of 12 or 20 ga shotgun shells, Dove loads. The Shooters will let you try all kinds of guns, including different makes, shapes, grips and actions. Then you can make an educated guess as to what you want. I suggest you go to 3 matches before you decide. Several people will likely have guns they want to trade or sale. If you're a club member you'll likely get a better deal. Also take an old felt Cowboy Hat and a thick wide belt to hang a holster on. Yep, you can pickup leather gear too.
I'm betting that you can save yourself hundreds of dollars by not buying before you try.

There you go.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Noz

Welcome to the fire.

Other sites would be

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=16

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showforum=14

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=19.0

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,82.0.html

I will answer specific by PM as will most of the cowboys.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Rigmarol

I've only been shooting CAS for about 2 years and I'm still very much a new guy.

I was invited to a small club and found the members extremely helpful.

Everyone was willing to let me shoot their guns and "try them on for size". I was hooked immediately. No egos, no chips on shoulders, nothing to prove and lots of fun.

My second time out I just wore some jeans and a modern bandana (It's all I had). I already had three guns; a Ruger Blackhawk, a Winchester rifle and a double barrel shotgun. I was loaned another handgun, a Ruger Vaquero and I loved it. Went right out and bought me one the next week.

I got a LOT of advice on gun leather. Stay away from the cheap stuff was universal.

I went with a custom shop in San Diego Ca. and was very happy with what I got. It wasn't cheap but that was my choice.

While waiting for my leather to be made, I carried my guns around in a wooden box and NOBODY objected or laughed AT me. We all laughed TOGETHER about it but I was not made to feel I was doing things WRONG.

Costuming is a very important part of CAS/SASS matches. You can really go all out ($$$) or just keep it simple. Either way it's still fun. This brings in the concept of the "Spirit of the Game" where you try to immerse yourself into your cowboy persona. Again, some go all out, others are a bit lighter but are still having fun.

My wife enjoys the costuming almost as much as the shooting. it's something we both are having a ball doing together.

Oh, once the wife got the bug, she wanted specif guns and leather and she wanted them NOW!!! I've never bought 4 brand new guns in one month in my life. But she got her matching Vaqueros, 20ga SXS and Rossi lever rifle just as fast as you can imagine! I was thrilled to do it for her.

I'm on my second set of weapons myself. I've had two dragoons converted to cartridges and I have my eye on a new 1866 or 1873 lever rifle soon. New leather (can't have cartridge loops on a belt to hold up my dragoons LOL)

You're getting great advice from the others, If you have any specific questions you want to ask in private I would be happy to help out via PM but if you ask publicly, others will benefit I'm sure.

Good luck and have fun.
Old December 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Like Shotgun and others have said. Get thee to a CAS match - or more than one - BEFORE you buy anything. And to echo my good friend NOZ, We all will answer any specific questions you may have via PM or email.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 27, 2012, 03:11 PM   #10
mike.t

Conversion Cyl

Fingers Any special mods.need to be done to an 1858 Pietta.
Thanks
Mike
Old December 27, 2012, 03:30 PM   #11
royal barnes

Most cowboy action shooters are happy to talk with prospects at a match and even let them shoot their guns. Most of those, however, prefer that you use their ammo. I don't know what is loaded in what you bring so please use mine.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:16 PM   #12
salvadore

From what I've seen on youtube, .32 squib loads.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Hawg

Gamers run light loads in all calibers but there's plenty of shooters that use full loads. If you want to win tho you will most likely end up shooting light ones.
Old December 27, 2012, 10:05 PM   #14
Shotgun693

Quote:
From what I've seen on youtube, .32 squib loads.
I shoot Gunfighter. I use .45 Colt rounds. A 200 gr bullet at 940 fps. I do OK. I shot a clean match for Dec.
Old December 27, 2012, 11:54 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t
Thanks
Mike
I'm not a remmie afficianado. The only ones I know of are opening the nipple wndow on the cylinder so you can use a Ted Cash revolver capper, and recutting the hammer nose so it will engage the safety notches in the cylinder.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 27, 2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Jbar4Ranch

Gunfighter!
.45 Colt!
Black powder!
Big bullets!

The frontrunners have nothing to fear from me!

SASS 47015
Old December 28, 2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Rigmarol

Quote:
Thanks
Mike
Mike, I know you asked Fingers but I'd like to add my 2 cents.

"Special mods" are plenty but I'd not bother with any until you are sure of a few things first. Such as what "style" you want to shoot. For example, shooting "Gunfighter" style requires you to have a gun in each paw and work the hammer and trigger with only one hand. Whereas, "Cowboy" or "49er (us older Cowboys) can shoot one gun at a time and hold it with both paws working the hammer quickly with the off hand. Mods for these guns might be different for you than for me or none at all.

I like my Dragoons but loading powder and ball between stages can get hectic. Each shooter is expected to pull line duty in some form such as scoring, brass pick up, load table monitor, unloading table monitor and so on. Sometimes if there are not enough people, you hardly get time to grab cartridges ready. Black powder pistols are allowed to be loaded away from the loading table and then capped at the table but it takes more time. So, a Cartridge Conversion for my Dragoons was a great "Mod" for my pistols.

My Rugers I shoot stock, just lighted the hammer spring a tad is all I've done with them.

Rifle Mods involve replacing plastic followers with brass or other metal after market followers. Lifter kits, short stroke kits and safety button plugs are all available.

Gun Smith work can easily cost you both arms and legs if it gets away from you. I haven't done anything to any of my rifles or shotguns other than slick up the chambers of my SxS coach guns so the spent shells fall out easier.

Mods can wait until later. Unless you can get a deal on guns that have already been modified. In which case I would look VERY hard at WHY the gun is for sale...
Old December 28, 2012, 12:55 PM   #18
Noz

RE: Light Loads

The really fast shooters shoot loads that give some recoil feedback to the shooter. It has been found that the ultra light, no recoil loads are actually slower to shoot than a heavier load.

Me? I like 28 grs of FFg under a .454 147 gr round ball. 1860 Armys dontchaknow.