The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 10, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1
reaper715

Pondering a short shotgun

Is there any shotgun that is semi automatic that can be shortened to the size of sawed off shotgun (small pistol sized double barrell)?
I know some of them are impossible because of the action.
Or is the only option for a gun that small in a pump action the serbu? Or some type of singleshot or double barrell being cut down? Just thinking about it as a new toy / home defense gun.
P.S. How do you put those quotes or your guns in the bottom of your posts?
Old July 10, 2008, 11:13 PM   #2
GeorgeF

Ahhhh, one of my dream guns. Check out the 8" version of the 12 gauge Saiga.

http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm

These are so popular that he is backed up through October. But they are awesome.
Old July 11, 2008, 12:00 AM   #3
reaper715

I forgot about those. They are really cool but I wanted something smaller and cheaper like a sawed off double barell or over and under.
Old July 11, 2008, 05:36 AM   #4
Danzig

Ok..not a semi..but tres cool nonetheless...

Mark Serbu makes a very short model called the super shorty. There is even a thigh holster available for it!

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php
Old August 25, 2008, 09:05 AM   #5
alien5551

I'm coriuos about the recoil from a doble barrelled sawded of or even a pump action sawed off. Is it really so horrible? Can it harm the wrist?
Old August 25, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
tplumeri

1 for the super shorty!
Old August 25, 2008, 10:12 AM   #7
PTK

If it's your first NFA shotgun, I'd suggest just sending in a Form 1 and doing it yourself to a double or single barrel shotgun. That way, it's a relatively inexpensive investment and you get to make it yourself.

My first NFA item was the Stoeger 12ga double barrel pictured.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:32 AM   #8
SDC

This would be an AOW, if you could get through the import procedure; http://www.tulatskib.ru/boevoe_pdf/OTs62.pdf a 5-shot 12-gauge revolver.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:35 AM   #9
PTK

I don't believe NFA items can be imported, the 1968 GCA ended that.
Old August 25, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
alien5551

I'd only like to know how you feel about shooting such guns...
Old August 25, 2008, 06:23 PM   #11
SDC

With a standard shot load, the recoil isn't really too bad, unless you let the muzzle get away from you; you wouldn't want to load one of these up with 3" slugs anyway, and two shots is probably enough for most people to decide that they don't want a REALLY short shotgun. If you get something with a stock on it (like the 14" 870 above), you feel the blast a bit more, but it's still quite controllable, even with slugs.
Old August 25, 2008, 10:33 PM   #12
PTK

That's a 12.5" 870, for what it's worth.

The recoil is.... brisk.... on my SBSs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlTukwseqyA
Old August 27, 2008, 03:24 PM   #13
Chipperman

A Benelli should work fine. It's Inertia driven, not Gas operated.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:51 PM   #14
darkgael

AOW

"I'd suggest just sending in a Form 1 and doing it yourself to a double or single barrel shotgun. That way, it's a relatively inexpensive investment and you get to make it yourself. "

Is there a sticky about the procedure for filing the paperwork, etc.? This is VERY interesting. I have a gun that would be a good candidate for an SBS. An AOW...I cannot make one myself, is that correct? At least not from a SG that I own.
How much is a "relatively inexpensive investment", assuming that I already own the firearm?
Pete
Old August 27, 2008, 04:14 PM   #15
Hkmp5sd

You can make a AOW, just not from a shotgun with a shoulder stock. It costs $200 to make an AOW or SBS, so it doesn't matter.

As to procedure, go to ATF website and download the FORM 1 pdf. Fill it out (including CLEO autograph) in duplicate, include 2 passport photos and a check to ATF for $200. Send the whole deal to ATF and wait for a response. When your form comes back approved, make the gun. As manufacturer, you will need to engrave your name and city on the AOW/SBS.

Last edited by Hkmp5sd; August 27, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old August 27, 2008, 06:20 PM   #16
darkgael

ATF

"just not from a shotgun with a shoulder stock."
Sorry to ask what about may be obvious to others but does that mean if I buy a SD shotgun with a pistol grip, I can covert it? Or is it more involved than that? How would anyone know?
From another thread, on another forum, I was under the impression that the tax stamp for a AOW was only five dollars (http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=49578)
Pete
Old August 27, 2008, 06:28 PM   #17
Hkmp5sd

A shotgun that has a shoulder stock attached is a shotgun forever and can only be made into a SBS. A shotgun manufactured with only a pistol grip is not technically a shotgun. By definition a "shotgun" is designed to be fired from the shoulder. Obviously a PG shotgun cannot be fired from the shoulder. ATF considers it a "Title One Firearm" instead of a shotgun. This shotgun can be made into either an AOW or a SBS. They would know by checking with the original manufacture to see how the shotgun left the factory.

The $5 is to transfer an existing AOW. It is still $200 to manufacture.
Old August 27, 2008, 09:59 PM   #18
darkgael

AOW

Thanks. That clears things up.
Pete
Old September 19, 2008, 04:00 AM   #19
dchi

Im a little confused. If I buy a titled AOW, I pay only a $5 tax then I can leaglly put a stock on it latter? If I buy a registered SBS, I pay a $200 tax and can not put on a pistol grip? That doesn't sound right to me. AOW's were alot cheap at the last machingun shoot i went to compared to SBS.
Old September 19, 2008, 11:15 AM   #20
aroundlsu

AOWs can't have a stock but can have a pistol grip and short barrel. SBSs can have anything including stock and pistol grip. Best route just do the SBS. After filing all the paperwork, setting up a trust or meeting your Sheriff, and waiting months and months the difference between $5 and $200 really isn't that much.
Old September 19, 2008, 11:42 AM   #21
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Mark Serbu makes a very short model called the super shorty. There is even a thigh holster available for it!
I have always wanted on of those. It only holds two rounds in the magazine so it would be like a double barrel but I still think it would make a good truck or SD gun.
Old September 19, 2008, 01:18 PM   #22
VUPDblue

Quote:
I have always wanted on of those. It only holds two rounds in the magazine so it would be like a double barrel but I still think it would make a good truck or SD gun.
It makes for a good range toy, but nothing more. It is too unwieldy to be fired within a vehicle or for HD. You will deafen and blind yourself if you use it indoors. I have spent some time behind the trigger of one and it is a hoot for sure, but I'd not want it for serious work. I'd buy one, but I'm holding out for an O/U or SXS AOW
Old September 19, 2008, 01:21 PM   #23
VUPDblue

Quote:
AOWs can't have a stock but can have a pistol grip and short barrel. SBSs can have anything including stock and pistol grip. Best route just do the SBS. After filing all the paperwork, setting up a trust or meeting your Sheriff, and waiting months and months the difference between $5 and $200 really isn't that much.
I don't necessarily agree with the highlited part. $195 is quite a difference IMHO, but in my state I cannot have a SBS anyway so the AOW is the order of the day! It should also be noted that to MANUFACTURE (via a Form1) the tax is $200 for both. The $5 tax on the AOW applies only to transfers.
Old September 19, 2008, 01:21 PM   #24
pesta2

Quote:
Mark Serbu makes a very short model called the super shorty.
I guy I purchase from is a Class III dealers and he had one and let me look at it at a show. It was interesting, 3 shots, 2 in the tube and one in the barrel. At the local gun shows State Police will come in and look around. One State Police really liked it. The forward grip folds down but I think it can stay up and clear the receiver when it is pumped. I had it in the down position. In person it even looks smaller.