The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Which breed of dog would make the worst civilian protection dog?
Collie 27 47.37%
German Shepherd 11 19.30%
Rotweiller 13 22.81%
Doberman Pincher 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old March 1, 2012, 06:00 PM   #76
tx east

Collies make good guard dogs, not good protection dogs

Before you take up protection dog training I hope you will accurately assess the hours upon hours you will invest in training, and the loving bond you will develop with your dog(s).

When faced with a deadly situation will you then be willing and able to send your dog to defend you till its' death?

I personally went thru this self examination and decided I wouldn't give up my dog to a gun or knife weilding BG. Consequently, I chose a Collie. Why? Because Collies are great guard dogs: they bark and they bark alot. Mine will bark loud enough and early enough for me to jack a 45 acp into my 1911 and introduce the intruder(s) to REAL deadly force. Nothing else succeeds so sufficiently as the 45 acp.

German Shepherds, Dutch Shepherds and Belgians are all great protection dogs(as a group, not individually). These breeds have all been battle-tested and proven their value over and over. Any other breed you're taking a 50/50 chance on.

A couple of Collies and a bunch of GSD's have allowed me to sleep in comfort and safety for the past 45 years.

Good luck with your choices.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:52 PM   #77
jhenry

Another zombie thread raised from the dead. This thread is 10 years old.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:57 PM   #78
C0untZer0

I'm proud to be part of this historic thread.

I've always had German Shepherds and they are great gaurd dogs.

I had a German Shepherd that actually patrolled our house periodically at night – she had a route she traveled that took her to each bedroom where she would look in on the occupants, stoped at the front window, back window. She would stop and listen and sniff at each door and then return to her sleeping spot at night which just happened to be the choke point in the house. Every German Shepherd I’ve owned were natural guard dogs.

She also attacked a man who tried to force his way into our house, went right for his throat, she was completely fearless.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:01 PM   #79
pturner67

Look at these breeds too:

Bouvier Des Flandres
Boxer
Doberman (fearless family dog...it's what I have)
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Closed Thread