The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 19, 2012, 03:10 PM   #26
Vermonter

Ah74 wow that pic says alot. I will be inspecting every round looking for this now.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Skadoosh

So...is that enough setback to be dangerous?
Old February 19, 2012, 07:15 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

It could be dangerous in certain loadings of some calibers. Typically it's more of an issue in heavy bullet loadings of calibers without a lot of case capacity. .40S&W with 180gr bullets is probably the classic example. As I mentioned earlier, in that loading, a tenth of an inch of setback can double the discharge pressure.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:07 PM   #29
Merad

The last SD ammo I bought (Federal 9mm 147gr and .380 92 gr HP's) both have sort of a crimp in the case at the bottom of the bullet, presumably to help prevent setback.

Personally, I just check them before rechambering...
Old February 19, 2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Nnobby45

When a gun is well broken in, the round will chamber easy enough when slow fed into the chamber. Riding the slide part way home before letting it go is a better description. This is a technique I've always used to keep from dinging up the bullet nose, or risk setting the bullet back in the case. "Administrative" loading only! Even so, I still like to rotate that top round to the bottom after a couple loadings.

Never to be used for SD practice where the slide has to be released with full force to insure positive chambering.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:49 PM   #31
Steviewonder1

I always drop the "Social Mag" from the gun going into the range and leaving the gun in the Gun Bag regardless of the rules. It is safe and when getting to my range station, remove the gun from the gun bag and load the Range Ammo mag into it. No one complains and cannot tell the difference. When exiting the range into my vehicle, I load a fresh mag rack the slide and top off the mag with one bullitt in the parking lot. This is done with the drivers side window open and gun pointing up. Never had a problem and NO set back issues with my "Social Ammo" YMMV.