The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 26, 2012, 09:00 AM   #26
BlueTrain

Fairbairn and Sykes in their book recognized that their methods were a little controversial even then. But they had their own reasons for the way they did things, which they explained very thoroughly. They even admitted the possibility of an interested individual being able to work out solutions to their own problems entirely on their own.

They were particularly safety oriented, which was the reason for some of their standardized procedures. They also worked in an environment in which individual policemen really only had basic firearms training and were not continually on the range. But that's pretty much the way soldiers go off to war. What you don't find in the book, however, are very many of the little details essential to pistol shooting, even their way, but that's pretty much a limitation of any book.

Read all the books you can find on the subject but don't mention it to anyone who is giving you instruction.
Buy War Bonds.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:15 PM   #27
Murdock

Quote:
Read all the books you can find on the subject but don't mention it to anyone who is giving you instruction.
+1
Old March 1, 2012, 11:29 PM   #28
jmfc606

Back in the early 90's I was sent to a 3 day Street Survival seminar put on by a company called Calibre Press of Northbrook Ill phone 1-800-323-0037 or 312-498-5680. They had 2 books that were only available to Law Enforcement at the time the first book was called Street Survival "Tacatics for armed encounters" by Special Agent Ronald J Adams, and LT's Thomas M McTernan and Charles Remsberg. The second book was The Tactical Edge "Surviving High Risk Patrol by Charles Remsberg. I'm not sure of either book is still in print or the company still in business but I'm sure you could find them on the used market. Both books are excellent reads. I prefered Street Survival and seems to be what you are asking for. The 2nd book deals more with the patrol aspect of Police work. I hope this helps you out.
Old March 6, 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
kflo01

Combat Shooting with Massad Ayoob

Combat Shooting with Massad Ayoob