The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 29, 2012, 10:06 PM   #26
skifast

Jim,

No argument here.
Old March 5, 2012, 11:45 AM   #27
shuwtist

NRA Instructor training - Skifast: Shooting is an absolute requirement in an NRA Instructor Training Course. Not only to pre-qualify, but also during the course itself. Instructor candidates must work on the firing line during the course, actually conducting portions of the firing lesson. This is very important, as this is where the rubber hits the road. Training Counselors should be evaluating the performance on the firing line, and ensuring candidates are following the NRA eight step method. IF you have firsthand knowledge of a Training Counselor conducting our courses, without following NRA Policies and Procedures, please send a detailed email to me at [email protected]. Our courses are a national standard, because they are "standardized" and to hear of courses that are not conducted appropriately is not only disturbing, but insulting.

R/John Howard
NRA National Instructor Trainer
Old March 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Hank15

This is the conversation between my instructor and I:

Him: What is the main purpose of the right hand?

Me: Squeeze the trigger.

Him: Then why are you gripping the gun so tightly?

Him: What is the left hand supposed to do?

Me: Support the gun.

Him: *Pushes my gun, tilting the barrel down* Then why isn't it supported?

The best way to teach is to make the student understand what he/she is doing, and correct him/her (if necessary).

From what I've seen it's mainly the student's fault that they aren't learning/improving. They walk in with the attitude that since they are paying the instructor, it's the instructor's job to please them and teach them how to shoot well.This is especially true for people with extra dough. These are the people that see this learning experience as a business transaction.

However, there will be times when you wish the instructor wasn't so asinine. But just remember, you're not there to make a friend, you're there to learn how to shoot.
Old March 5, 2012, 03:04 PM   #29
skifast

delete
Old March 5, 2012, 05:36 PM   #30
PADefenseTrainer

Hank15,

As with your instructor, my favorite teaching technique is to ask questions. When people have to think and answer, they stay involved, but more importantly, they stay engaged.

But I'm not 100% on...

Quote:
...it's mainly the student's fault that they aren't learning/improving.
I feel it is my job to alter my technique to the student as much as humanly possible. But even then, if I STILL fail to get them to learn, I may see if there is another instructor that may be a better fit.

Of course that may just be my ego talking. It can get pretty loud and opinionated at times.

Good points though.

".. a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." - Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)
Old March 8, 2012, 11:43 AM   #31
Sleuth

There is an issue of the instructor & student not meshing. When I was the lead firearms instructor at our academy, we switched students every 20 minutes. The students remained at their firing point, the instructors moved over. The most common experience was for the 'new' instructor to repeat, word for word, what the 'old' instructor said, only for the student to state:

"Oh, THATS what he/she meant!"

Only the results mattered. With over 5,000 students in 9 years, only two failed shooting. One for lack of desire (I ran into the student later, who told me that they realized law enforcement was not what they wanted to do.) The other just could not "get" it, and lost their job.