The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 23, 2012, 10:44 AM   #1
dakiwi13

new ruger p95 owner here

so i bought my first ruger plus a buncha rounds about 2 weeks ago when the local shop had a "cost sale." taken it to the range about 4 times since then, put about 300+ rounds downrange. i got small hands and am left handed as well. problem was my left thumb knuckle is getting beat all to hell shooting this thing. i'm not used to shooting polymer guns at all. i like the weight and feel of all metal. plus those guns lessen recoil more than polymer guns do.

any suggestions to save my knuckle? i thought about wearing a glove but haven't gotten to just yet.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Mobuck

What part of the pistol is hurting you? Slide bite has never been an issue with the Rugers I have and I can't imagine a hold that puts your thumb high enough to be hit by the safety lever.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Hansam

Sounds to me like...

You're gripping the gun wrong.

If your left thumb knuckle is being punished and you're left handed you're probably gripping the gun in a fashion so you can get more of your finger on the trigger. Do you have just the first section of your finger on the trigger or do you have the crook of the finger on it... or worse yet part of the second section of your finger too?

I found a long while ago that I was doing that and the gun was hurting my knuckle too... only it was my right knuckle because I'm right handed.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Discern

Improper Grip

You are not using the proper grip and the handgun is not in alignment with the strong hand. Most shooter do not use proper alignment.

Here is a clip of Todd Jarrett on the fundamentals of the semi-auto handgun grip. Todd Jarrett starts to cover alignment at 0:38. Notice every time he shoots that the entire backstrap is covered by the palm of his strong hand. Also notice that the support hand fills the void on the grip - the support hand is on the firearm and not on the strong hand. When the trigger finger is on the frame just below the slide, the support hand thumb tip and trigger finger tip should be almost straight across from each other. If the handgun is aligned properly with the strong hand and support hand, felt recoil is less and the recoil will not be going into the thumb knuckle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48
Old February 24, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
buckeyedave

I have smaller sized hands ( medium cadet golf glove ) and I have no issues shooting mine. Send a pic of your grip. Gotta be your grip.

What are you used to shooting?

Dave
Ruger SR22P
Old February 24, 2012, 11:38 PM   #6
C0untZer0

The same thing happened to me when I went to the Glock.

It's not slide bite, it's the gun not sitting in the web of my hand and the vector of recoil running through my thumb joint.

I have to purposely crank my hand around so the my thumb joint is out of the way, and then of course my trigger finger doesn't feel quite right. I pivot my hand at a 90° from the bore of the pistol.

Here is the corniest instructional video in the whole world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QxRRcYlak

Eventually I got used to how my trigger finger had to be on the Glock. It took tons of dry-firing, really focusing on good follow through before the odd trigger finger position started to feel OK.

~Groovy music heh? ~
Old February 25, 2012, 08:35 AM   #7
dakiwi13

alignment

i've shot many handguns before: makarov 1911, snub nose taurus 38 spl, 380 acp lorcin full metal, no polymer in it, glock 17, taurus pt809, baby eagle. i've owned none of these however.

after watching the vids, i realize that my pointing finger was just long enough to get to the trigger but not enough to completely pull it with ease and comfort and control. becuz of that, the kick was hitting my knuckle at the base of where my thumb comes out from the webbing. i rotated my hand some and move my middle finger to be my trigger finger and my pointing finger up nearer to the slide. it gives me a good bit more control, but it feels really really really awkward shooting this way. guess i'll just have to get used to it.

my other thing now is wanting to get a universal grip, i don't like how smooth and slippery this polymer grip is on the p95.
Old February 25, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
publius

I don't have a comment on your grip problem except to say that I don't know how you're getting that high on the grip with it"s deep valley in the backstrap. I want to congratulate you on your purchase. I have a P94 which is the metal framed version of the P95 and it is the auto in my large collection that I know will go bang every time. Never had a stoppage no matter what ammo I feed her. Even some nasty stuff that had been on my saltwater boat for no telling how long.
Old February 25, 2012, 03:13 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...was my left thumb knuckle is getting beat all to hell shooting this thing.
Assuming you're positioning your trigger finger properly on the trigger, the trigger reach is too long for you. Your improvised grip, using your middle finger as a trigger finger, will work but you're giving up some platform stability to achieve it. Your only other option is looking for a gun that will allow you to put your trigger finger in the proper position when the grip is in the proper position in your hand.
Old February 29, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
dakiwi13

holster

so does anybody know of a good holster hip/iwb holster that would fit this pistol real good? any recommendations?
Old March 5, 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
dakiwi13

bought a holster

went on ebay and bought an Uncle Mike's LEO LH hip holster no.18. it fits perfectly. also bought an IWB uncle mike's no.16 holster as well for the ruger. i'm loving being able to carry my gun every where i go now
Old March 6, 2012, 11:11 PM   #12
Justice06RR

Congrats on your purchases. The Ruger P95 is one of the most solid and well-priced 9mm Full size pistol out there. Its actually kind of hefty and bulky, so that should already reduce felt recoil compared to other lighter pistols.

You can try using workout gloves if it helps. I use them sometimes when shooting for longer periods of time. It also helps you grip better and eliminate sweaty palms/hands.

Tags
newbie , ruger