The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 20, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

WI man robbbed of open-carry firearm at gunpoint (2010)

From another gun forum, I came across this link to a 2010 news story in which a Wisconsin man was open-carrying and was robbed at gunpoint of his firearm. The man believes he was specifically targeted for the firearm. At the time this happened, it was illegal to conceal carry in Wisconsin, so he did not have much choice in the matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zx_YUO4SzcY

Some interesting points from the video:

1. It appears the man was carrying in a retention holster. The video remarks that the suspect was unable to get the gun out of the holster and the victim had to assist him.

2. The guy was apparently well-known for open-carrying in his neighborhood and carried because he had been robbed previously.

3. The guy indicates he believes he was robbed specifically BECAUSE he carried a firearm.

4. A little too much glee on the part of reporters; but they did at least contact a WI RKBA organization and give them some air-time to give their view - and given the constraints of editing, etc., the RKBA guy did a good job with what he had.

In our last open carry tactics thread, there was a lot of emphasis on carrying in a retention holster if you were going to open-carry. I absolutely think that is a good idea; but this story goes to show that you still need that elevated awareness - the retention holster doesn't mean you can relax or be complacent if you plan to open carry.

In addition to being a weapon, a gun is a valuable tool and a frequent target of theft. When you open carry one, you've got to keep in mind that it is like wearing a gold chain, a giant diamond ring, or any other high-value item sought by thieves.

*On an Activism note, the Youtube person who posted this is not-RKBA friendly. There are some good opportunities to politely explain the flaws in the reasonsing he uses.
Old February 20, 2012, 01:51 PM   #2
MTT TL

At least he can carry concealed now. Of course I have heard of concealed carriers robbed of their firearms too.

For the record I can't think there is a robber with guts enough to rob the guy they interviewed even if he was not packing. He was giganenourmous with arms like tree trunks, literally.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; February 20, 2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: clean up language
Old February 20, 2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Frost-

You aren't kidding about the glee of the reporters. And they managed to find someone to interview that from my perspective was completely clueless and did nothing but trash the guy for carrying a firearm.
Old February 20, 2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Gbro

At face value this looked like a no win situation. Did the vic have any self defence kowledge/training? Was there a window to disarm?
This is a case for animalistic tactics meaning you might someones taste blood before the fight is over.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Wow, there is Nick Clark again. He is more buff than ever. I take it that the president of Open Carry said hundreds of thousands of people open carry nation wide? They must be doing it with really tiny guns or not get out much in public. I can't believe Nick hasn't heard of this ever happening before.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
There are some good opportunities to politely explain the flaws in the reasonsing he uses.
...all of which are squandered by the profanity, chest-beating, and personal attacks in the leading responses.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:18 PM   #7
12GaugeShuggoth

That guy might have been sent by Skynet, holy crap.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old February 21, 2012, 05:11 PM   #8
MTT TL

Quote:
They must be doing it with really tiny guns or not get out much in public.
I don't OC in my current state of assignment as it is illegal outside of private property. When I get visitors out on the place I do get questions though. The employees at all the gun shops out here OC. They have yet to be robbed.

Last year in a different state (legal OC) I was OCing and went to Home Depot. I was picking up a fridge I had bought previously. You know how at Home Depot you can never find someone to help you? It was not a problem that day. They had the fridge out the door and loaded in under three minutes. I just watched.

Old March 6, 2012, 04:43 PM   #9
lincoln5

When I was a rookie LEO I was taught to never use an unsecurable public restroom when working alone by my training officer because there were felons who would take your life while you were "vulnerable" just to acquire a quality handgun.
The number of instances he quoted was "shocking" (And this was twenty years ago)
Old March 6, 2012, 05:18 PM   #10
zombieslayer

I dont live in an open carry state. But even on my property I still keep my pistol iwb. I like others not knowing what I carry. If someone were to target you, they'd be better prepared if they saw a gun hanging on your side. Just my thoughts on the matter. I say if you want to do it, do it. God bless America.