The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 10, 2009, 10:55 AM   #1
Skyguy

NRA/Rob Pincus Combat Shooting DVD

Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips DVD: by Rob Pincus at Valhalla.

This excellent DVD is from NRA/American Rifleman and is well worth the cost of $9.95.

It's a great source of info for beginners to experts. Plus, it gets a few bucks to the NRA which is the main support group and lobby for our gun rights.

Just got mine through the mail and I'm 'very' pleased with the quality and the proper, realistic info.
My check is mailed.
Old March 10, 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
bigghoss

just got one too. actually if you don't want to subscribe you can keep the dvd for free.

personally I didn't agree with a lot of what they showed, like grip and stance. but overall I thought there is a lot of good info.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:19 PM   #3
Skyguy

Quote:
you can keep the dvd for free.....overall, I thought there is a lot of good info.
Indeed, you can keep the dvd without supporting the NRA. But, how cool is that?

The combat shooting dvd is no ripoff. There's great value in that training dvd; about $500 worth for just 10 bucks.
And it's 'visual' training!

Personally, I felt that keeping the dvd without paying for it was a snub to the NRA which, besides its faults, is the most powerful voice for our gun rights.

Support the NRA and go recruit some associate members.
There's political strength in numbers....and gun owners are going to need political strength.
Old March 12, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
jg0001

Quote:
just got one too. actually if you don't want to subscribe you can keep the dvd for free.
I got this DVD (or one like it) from the NRA, completely unsolicited. I then got about 5 more requests to pay for it thereafter, with no reference to the freebie bit.

I'm not in the habit of paying for things people send me without me asking for the thing in the first place. It just sets a very bad precedent, NRA or not.
Old March 14, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
Rob Pincus

Glad that you guys like the DVD.... I'm not sure about the follow ups, but the Personal Firearms Defense Video series consists of about 10 DVDs at this time, with another 6 or 7 coming out this year. If you purchase the first one, you get to sample and possibly purchase the others as well. If course, if you receive the first DVD from the NRA, all of your purchases support the NRA.

Feel free to post any specific questions!

-RJP
Old December 9, 2009, 10:51 PM   #6
shovel99
Retired Screen Name

Combat Focus Shooting... Thanks Rob... Great DVD!

Hi,

I believe I received the DVD with my Life Membership last year and only got around to viewing part of it a few days ago. As a relatively new gunner... maybe 4-5 years, and CCW in GA, I have read a great deal about self defense on the net and books by some of the greats, but no actual physical training and yours is the first DVD. You have probably saved my life one day. Most of the range focus is too slow, too far. All the ranges I use prohibit draws and rapid fire, so the best I can do to simulate real defense is presentation from ready and... risk the wrath of the range owner by shooting doubles.

My brother (who I am teaching to shoot) was having trouble getting on the paper at all in target approach, and after 20 minutes of your technique at 6 feet... was able to score quickly and see the sights so well.. that he put 4/6 on a B 29 Silhouette in timed fire at 50 feet shortly thereafter.

I am in the process of inviting everyone I know to shoot and bring them "into the fold", and have just bought a second copy of your DVD to loan out with the first one. I have recruited 2 new shooter NRA members in the past 2 months and have "appointments" with a half dozen of my friends (& some wives) to choose home defense weapons and learn the skills.

Your DVD is part of the method and the inspiration.

Thanks,

Paul Davis
Old December 12, 2009, 07:09 PM   #7
ClayInTx

Glad I checked this thread.

I got the packet, opened it up and meant to view it, but laid it aside. Last evening I found the DVD and viewed it.

Upon checking this thread I went to find the rest of the packet. The check is in the mail.

Yeah, right. It’s Saturday night. Who am I kidding? Uh oh, that should be: Whom am I kidding? Next thing ya know I’ll be calling a magazine a clip.

I will mail it, though.

Great job, Rob.
Old December 13, 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
ClayInTx

MORE

Rob Pincus,

Critique coming up:

I don’t know what will be the theme of the sequel DVDs, nor how many are already in the can. For future DVDs I would prefer more on home defense, self defense, escaping an engagement, and situational awareness.

The first part of the first DVD appears to be directed more at law enforcement than on civilian engagements. The shooting techniques depicted are good but in a civilian encounter I don’t believe we’ll have time to react in an ideal way.

The home defense was good but needs to be expanded. Modern home construction almost always has the master bedroom well away from the other bedrooms. This is a real problem if a perp has invaded the house and there are kids in their bedrooms. It’s been said to leave clearing the house to the police but what about the kids in the meantime?

We need a DVD dealing with mom and dad in one end of the house, kids in the other end, and a perp in the middle. The police are on the way but not there yet. Kids are an ideal hostage and no parent is going to allow this to happen if there is any way to prevent it, even at danger to their own life.

For out-of-the-home situations we civilians need an experienced person to depict scenes which might be dangerous and point out things to watch for.

Depict a dangerous area and the best way to get out of it before bad things happen.

Depict a dangerous area and we didn’t get out of it in time. There’s a perp and here’s us. He’s already closed in because he hid behind a big garbage can and here he is.

Regards,
Clay

The rest of y'all please chime in with your thoughts of what we need. Rob won't know if we don't tell him.
Old December 13, 2009, 11:40 AM   #9
Rob Pincus

Thanks for your thoughts, Clay. The series starts out much more "generic" in terms of defensive firearms skills and then becomes more specialized are it goes on. You can see a complete list of titles that have been released to date at the www.icetraining.us store.
We have addressed many of the items you suggested!

I really appreciate all the feedback on the series, especially the suggestions about what you would like to see.

-Rob
Old December 13, 2009, 04:53 PM   #10
rburch

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Clay. The series starts out much more "generic" in terms of defensive firearms skills and then becomes more specialized are it goes on. You can see a complete list of titles that have been released to date at the www.icetraining.us store.
We have addressed many of the items you suggested!

I really appreciate all the feedback on the series, especially the suggestions about what you would like to see.

-Rob
I got the Combat Focus Shooting and Home Defense Tips, and the Shooting in realistic environments DVDs, and I'm planning on getting more.

It breaks down the info and makes it very easy to add the skills to your own techniques.

I look forward to learning more from you, both from your DVDs, and if I ever save up enough ammo, from taking one of your classes.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Old December 14, 2009, 02:43 PM   #11
ER_STL

First post here. I've lurked occasionally and have joined just to ask this question. :-)

I have the first DVD (Combat Focused Shooting) and I like it quite a bit. It's concise and offers plenty of information for the price that was asked. I've recommended it quite a few times to other shooters.

The one gripe I have though is one I have with most shooting DVDs - it doesn't go into the level of detail I'm looking for when it teaches the two-handed grip. I've heard the "get as much hand on the gun" and "wrap the gun in flesh" comments but neither explain why that is beneficial. Just telling someone where to put their support hand doesn't tell the student what the support hand is supposed to contribute to the grip.

Three years ago I trained for a day under an IPSC shooter. I learned the grip, stance, draw, etc. I've spent most of my shooting time since working with the grip. I've put thousands of rounds through my M&P9 and Glock 19 with it while carefully analyzing the whats and hows. I've directly compared its performance to my old Weaveresque, thumbs-curled-down, boxer-stance type shooting. It has been exhausting. It has taken me years to realize the simple truth that unless the support hand can get adequately behind the gun (as on a 1911 with its rounded grips), it must require friction between it and the gun (or strong hand) in order to stay put. On flat, slippery guns such as the Glock, it's essentially hanging on to the front and side of the strong hand and gun, both of which want to move up and back when the shot breaks. Without some sort of isometric tension, there's no way to keep dry or slippery hands from separating during rapid fire. This of course is why many IPSC shooters recommend Pro Grip and grip-tape. The first obviously doesn't apply to CCW and I've found that grip-tape limits my dress mode (because it tears up clothing).

Rob - how are you accounting for this when you teach the grip? Is a slight push-pull or compression (using the chest) recommended? It doesn't appear from what you show in your video that the support hand is getting anywhere near the backstrap of the gun so friction must be the means by which recoil is transmitted to the support hand.

I hope this question is appropriate for the thread since it offers my feedback. If it doesn't I can communicate through PM.

Eric
Old December 14, 2009, 08:06 PM   #12
gogriz91

Got it in the mail, sent it back, wished I hadn't, trying to squeeze money for Christmas. Was a very enjoyable and well done video, gave me ideas for my next few trips to the range.
Old December 15, 2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Joe Gunns

I am 60-some years old, been shooting rifles and pistols my whole life, but had no formal combat pistol training. I did do some informal Shoot-Don't Shoot drills with police friends back in the '70's and, of course reading and practicing the techniques of the various scribes of that era, such as Jordon and Cooper. Got the vids with the Founding-Fathers-guns-quotes-coin-set promotion. Almost sent the first one back unopened, but didn't get around to it, so finally paid for it. It sat around for a while, then the next one came so I decided I better watch and see if it was worth it. I am a revolver guy and you emphasize the auto, however your close-to-the-body, elbows -up-and-out technique made a lot of sense and I have adopted that in my practice. I agree that it facilitates quick target acquisition. I worked on it a little with my adult daughter and she found it helpful. I found the rest of the videos were well done and provided some good info and tactics. The coin set was kinda of nice, too, although I need more "collectibles" like a hole in the head. I am planning on gifting the videos to daughter and her new husband.
Old December 18, 2009, 05:54 PM   #14
Sher Khan

Out of the Loop?

Thanks, folks, for joggling my memory about these training DVDs. I got the first two DVDs and coins, and paid for them, some time ago. I expected to see more arrive, but they haven't. I thought both DVDs were useful. I then loaned the DVDs to my son, so I forgot about them. Now I will query the NRA regarding the rest of the series.... Can anyone enlighten me further?
Old December 18, 2009, 09:20 PM   #15
benp

I have it and like it ALOT!!!!

Very good, very imformative, and I learned alot.

I wish I was closer to the Valhalla site as I would live there.
Old December 21, 2009, 02:26 PM   #16
Blue Steel

Rob, thanks for the link to I.C.E. Training.

I watched the Best Defense when it was on last year, and really enjoyed a lot of the information. The focus on situational awareness, avoiding the fight, and aftermath were a great addition in a market which often devotes its attention to trigger time.

Some of the drills (figure-8), as well as some of the flashlight techniques were a great addition to my own training & knowledge base.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Blue Steel; December 24, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old January 1, 2010, 06:29 PM   #17
Mike in VA

Are these the same DVD's the Second Amendment Fdn was selling? If so, the NRa was a better deal;, 2nd Am Fdn was charging $24 ea. Can't complain, though, as the content quality was quite good, and the 2nd Am. Fdn. is certainly worth supporting.

Kudos, Rob.
Old January 1, 2010, 10:13 PM   #18
Papa_timmy13

Im waiting for my 3rd video. I love the series and I personally feel the are awesome teaching aids.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:54 AM   #19
27Veer

I enjoy the Best Defense, but some of the drills seem a bit cheesy to me. However my instructor who is a military vet says that Rob Pincus is a solid instructor so I watch and take notes.
Old January 4, 2010, 03:10 AM   #20
JustDreadful

Quote:
I'm not in the habit of paying for things people send me without me asking for the thing in the first place. It just sets a very bad precedent, NRA or not.
+1
A bit extortionate. Decent DVD, though.

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old January 4, 2010, 12:35 PM   #21
doctruptwn

Rob Pincus ,

Not trying to Highjack the thread but I do enjoy whatching you on Best Defense, Keep up the good work and I'll check into the other video's.
Old January 6, 2010, 08:41 AM   #22
Rob Pincus

Thanks for the continued positive feedback on the content of the DVDs (and TBD!).

-Rob
Old January 6, 2010, 11:03 PM   #23
Rob Pincus

Quote:
Rob - how are you accounting for this when you teach the grip? Is a slight push-pull or compression (using the chest) recommended? It doesn't appear from what you show in your video that the support hand is getting anywhere near the backstrap of the gun so friction must be the means by which recoil is transmitted to the support hand.
ER,

Off the top of my head, my response is that you are thinking about the grip way too much. Defensive shooting needs to be as intuitive as possible, not overly mechanical.

The Instructor Development Answer that explains my, and the Combat Focus Shooting, approach to teaching grip is to take the concept I just stated and apply it this way:

Tell the students that they need to hold the gun as high as they can without interfering with the action of the gun (the slide moving backwards), keep their finger off the trigger and not cross their thumbs in any way. This will get 90% of the students holding the gun "properly" without having to over think it. If they do need step by step instructions, use these:

1. Have the student hold the gun as high as possible in the strong hand (no gap below beavertail/above web of hand.
2. Place the trigger finger straight forward along frame while wrapping the rest of the strong hand fingers around gun, ensure there is no gap above the middle finger below the trigger guard.
3. Raise the strong hand thumb to create a gap on the weak side of the grip.
4. Use the meat of the weak hand at the base of the palm to fill that gap, wrap the fingers of the weak hand parallel with and around the fingers of the strong hand, ensure there is no gap above the weak index finger under the trigger guard.
5. Lower the strong thumb down so that the thumbs are layered and ensure that there is no gap at the back of the grip between the hands.

I hope that answers the question.

-RJP
Old February 18, 2012, 12:11 PM   #24
schmitzdonald68

Rob Pincus Series

Is there anyone out there that has a list of the current releases for this series?

Thanks, Don
Old February 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Rob Pincus

The most complete list of what has been released is the store at www.icetraining.us... If I. Can answer any other questions, let me know.