The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2009, 05:47 PM   #1
KY Jim

Sharps Rifle ?

I am considering the purchase of a Sharps Rifle and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on these rifles. I am thinking of a 45-70 because of the lower cost of factory ammo and the availability of brass.
I would appreciate any input and suggestions on this subject. I can't afford one of the American rifles but, I have been researching and I have found a good buy on a Pedersoli brand rifle and I understand from my research that they are the best of the foreign makers. What do You Think? I would also like any suggestions as to caliber.
Jim
Old February 5, 2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Creek Walker

It depends on what you want to do with this rifle. Will you be shooting BPCR silhouette, or buffalo matches? Or will you want to go further out, say long range out to 1,000 yds? The .45-70 will handle the silhouette & buff ranges, but I would recommend something with more oomph! for the longer stuff.

As far as the Pedersoli, I have heard nothing but good about the accuracy of these rifles. They may not have the aesthetics of the Shilohs or C. Sharps rifles, but if that doesn't bother you, then they will do just fine. Good luck in your quest, & above all, have fun!
Old February 5, 2009, 09:28 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Pedersoli is as you say, the best of the imports, although the decline of the dollar against the Euro cuts into the cost advantage. .45-70 is the smart way to bet unless you KNOW you will be regularly shooting over 800 yards.

Me?
I shoot Winchester (and now the Browning/Miroku copy) in .38-55 and .40-65.
Old February 5, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Smokin_Gun

I think you'd be real pleased with an Armi Sport Sharps in .45/70...They Make a Quigley Sharps with a 32" bbl...my friend has one and just loves it...1 1/2" groups he's gettin'. I have an Armi Sport 1863 Sharps Cav 22" bbl. .54 Papercutter...(papercart) Several ways to shoot that one. The tag on mine was $595...Local Gun Shop.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old February 5, 2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Quote: Smokin_Gun
I think you'd be real pleased with an Armi Sport Sharps in .45/70...They Make a Quigley Sharps with a 32" bbl...my friend has one and just loves it...1 1/2" groups he's gettin'.
I've got one of the Armi Sport 45-70s with the 32" barrel also & have been well pleased with it so far. I havent been able (gone to the trouble) to travel to a range where I can shoot it beyond 300 yds; but it has acted nice at that range so far.

Also have an IAB '59 .54 cal percussion Sharps that is a fun plinker at 100 yds with paper cartridges loaded with 70 gr of ffg and a Hornady Great Plains bullet. I use a dipper to measure the powder in these.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 6, 2009, 12:39 AM   #6
Voyageur

I've owned a paper Sharps (.54 caliber) for years. It's taken two really nice Whitetail bucks and I couldn't be more satisfied.

The fact that I don't need brass makes it a very economical rifle to shoot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck email.jpg (101.2 KB, 36 views)
Old February 6, 2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Smokin_Gun

Armi Sport 1863 Sharps .54 Papercutter...I finnally found a bullet that will work well and not fall down the chamber and out the end of the barrel. I gotr some .54 Sharps 435gr bullets from Track of the Wolf and very pleased to find they are .557"/435gr pointed ringtails...fit is great no daylite lookin' thru barrel. All I have to do is glue a seem, tie the Nitrated phonebook paper with cotton thread to the ringtail and the folded end with 65gr of ffg BP.
Now I can order a Rapine mold and know I'm not throwin' a $100 away.
What mold do you guys use? And mine has a removeable chamber sleeve, waht are your configurations?

My .45/70 is an 1871 H&R Buffalo Cassic 32"bbl. Open sights, weighs only about 8/lbs max...Loaded. HeeHee!
I love this one...I named it "Big Thunder that Kicks Like Mule" but it hurts so good, and that's after 35 rounds of .45/70 65gr of fffg BP .459"/405gr Lee Molded hollow base...2.645" OAL.
ifin a .45/70 don't make ya smile then there's somethin' wrong with your face. :O)
1863 Sharps Armi Sport

SG

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; February 6, 2009 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old February 6, 2009, 09:29 PM   #8
Voyageur

Well... lessee.

I use the standard .54 caliber Minet bullet from a Lyman mould.

The powder charge is about 60 grains.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'chamber sleeve' but my Sharps does have the insert (seal) in the breech block.

The sights are original Winchester express sights (like from a '86).

It shoots about a 2 1/2" group at 100 yards with the open sights.

The paper cartridge is made from nitrated paper (flash paper) and Duco cement.

My lube for this firearm (and all the rest) is home made.

I use 2f Goex.

The rifle seems to kill as effectively as my flintlocks and caplocks.
Old February 7, 2009, 12:55 AM   #9
Smokin_Gun

The removable chamber sleeve(between the Barrel and Breech) that I have on the Armi Sport may be solid chamber on others. The Armi Sport has the only removable one maybe...I thought the chamber in front of the breech was sleeved on the IAB also, but floating not removable unless you remove the barrel from the receiver,
Not sure about other makes.

SG